Home invasions ends badly...for the perp

Discussion in 'In the News' started by pro2am, Aug 3, 2006.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Saw this today on the news:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/d ... oting.html

(realized some of you may not be registered at AJC so here is the article)

--------------

DeKalb officer kills intruder

By MIKE MORRIS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 08/03/06

A home invasion suspect was shot and killed early Thursday by his intended victim, a DeKalb County police officer, authorities said.

At least three men forced open the front door of the off-duty officer's Northlake apartment at the Lake Louise complex on Evans Road shortly before 2 a.m., DeKalb police spokesman Herschel Grangent said.

The officer and his 8-year-old son were asleep, and when the officer awoke, he saw one of the intruders pointing a gun at him. The officer fired his own gun at the suspect, killing him, Grangent said.

The other suspects ran away and were still at large, Grangent said. The apartment complex is off Henderson Mill Road just outside I-285.

"It looks as though they randomly picked this apartment to do a burglary," Grangent said. "It looks as though they picked the wrong one, and this officer did what he had to do to defend his family."

The names of the officer and the dead man have not been released. The officer and his son were not injured in the incident. Grangent said the officer, who has been on the force for at least five years, was placed on routine administrative leave.
    --------------
    Now, read the article and replace "officer" with Citizen, and "kill" or "shot" with "tackle", and you have the story if this happened to you or me instead of a LEO.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oops! Wrong house!

I wonder if the Chief is going to issue a statement saying how this is too risky and he does not recommend that people "take the law into their own hands" but instead just "comply with their demands."

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well this is DeKalb so I would not put it past a liberal chief to say.

On the other had that LEO that was interviewed in Tennessee after the stabbings was reported as saying something similar when in fact he said nothing of the sort.

So even if a statement like that is reported in the press you can't really be sure they actually said it.

The only section in the newpaper that gets quotes correct most of the time is the classifieds.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I can't find it in online news, but apparently the family of the "shooting victim" is raising Cain about this.

A firend of Dion even called in to the Neal Boortz show this morning to claim that Dion was a "good kid." (I would hate to see what bad kids must be like in his neighborhood).

Boortz responded that good kids don't join robbing crews and go into people's homes with a gun.

They were playing tapes of other family members claiming the gun was unloaded (so?) and that the officer was "awake with his hand on his gun" (um, so?).

Then somebody claimed that Dion was pleading for his life and saying his gun was unloaded.

I just want to know why the off-duty police officer did not shoot all three of them.

Do us a favor.

The Chief is not releasing the identity of his officer. I support him on that. I just wonder whether he would extend me or you the same courtesy.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The police routinely release the names of "suspects" and "persons of interest," before there ever are arrests (case in point: the suspect in the Silver Comet murder; also Richard Jewel). Unless and until they stop this practice, I can't condone shielding the officer's name. The officer was not on duty, and he was acting as a private citizen at the time of the incident. By not releasing the identity of the officer, the police are displaying a bias in the case, and indicating that they should not be investigating it.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Especially since he shot a "good kid."

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I want to know how these people claiming that the assailant told the victim that his gun was unloaded came by this information. The assailant is dead and I seriously doubt that the victim told them. :-k

I also resent the fact that the media keeps bringing up that fact that the victim was a police officer. I'm not really sure how that is relevant. If he was a plumber, would they say "the plumber said he was protecting his son" or "one of the perpetrators pointed a gun at the plumber"? :roll:

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

And, "The head of the plumbing union is not releasing the name of the plumber, pending an internal investigation. The plumbers do not expect any leaks."