Home Invasion in Valdosta.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by budder, Oct 18, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if any news companies will pick this up, but I thought you guys might be interested. Las night, one of the guys on Ars was the victim of a home invasion at his apartment in Valdosta, GA. The thread can be found here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/for ... 9008208831

I'm glad the bag guys got caught, but it's still a really shitty situation. If you guys want me to post anything in the thread, let me know.

Also, on page two, someone posted an interesting link: http://www.ganet.org/cjcc/victimscomp.html Apparently there is a GA victim's rights group that financially supports you if you're ever this unlucky.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good argument against "safe storage."

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good news.

4. budder

True, but perhaps even more important as a reminder to keep up your SA, even at home. It sucks that we have to be vigilant all the time.

5. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i carry now from the time i wake up till i go to bed most days, and i live in a rather safe rural area. the more i carry the more vulnerable i feel when i'm not carrying, a big change from the nervous feeling that i was doing something wrong the first few times i cc'd, now i can even forget i have it on. i guess if you knew when you'd need it you would just avoid that time and place.

6. PeaceKeepr

PeaceKeepr New Member

7. phaed

phaed Active Member

damn my heart goes out to this kid. was going to say "glad he's alright"...but that's not true, is it?

hate it when bad things happen to good people like this.

8. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

I'd like to know where the crooks were from and where they were headed. Valdosta is 30 mins from my door and I'm there at least 2x a week.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

This story is why I carry when I take the dog out at night. That and the fact we have had 4-5 rabies cases already this year. I carry my SureFire flashy, make sure I have shoes on (even if just slip ons), and always keep the door (which is now unlocked while I am outside) within my field of view. This way no one can enter the house while I am outside walking the wire.

10. budder

:( I know those three are stupid robbers, but I hope they're not stupid enough to go back to Jeff's place.

CoolHand, I asked those questions for you. I'll keep you updated with his response.

11. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Five minutes away from my brother's place. This just adds to the stories of Valdosta being overran by turds.

12. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Budder, thanks dude.

My fiance works down there. I just let her read this. She's decided to finally go get her carry permit next week after a year of me prodding her. :D When we met she didn't even like guns. :roll:

13. budder

I'm glad at least some good will come of this. Here's hoping she never has to use her GFL to do anything beyond skipping the NICS check. :cheers:

14. fallison

fallison Guest

I'm beginning to think slinging my AK over my shoulder might be a good idea when taking the dog out at night.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think there's a thread about someone getting arrested for that...I was looking for it, but no luck.

16. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Same here. I took the wife to apply for her permit last week. I also printed out this article last night and gave it to her. We used to live in Valdosta and she really liked it there. I think she's slowly waking up. I keep telling her life's not what you see on the Andy Griffith Show any more. A quote from one of my fav-o-rite movies (Blade) helps to get the point across:

"You better wake up. The world you live in is just a sugar-coated topping. There is another world beneath it - the real world, and if you want to survive it, you better learn to pull the trigger!"

17. VolGrad

I think you are OK carrying, GFL or not, within the confines of your "your 4 corners". Didn't I read that somewhere? While in a neighborhood, I have about an acre, I have plenty of room for him to "do his business" without leaving my "4 corners".

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't say the charge was a good one..just what I had read.

edit: He was in his yard, iirc.

19. VolGrad

Luckily, I think I would be OK. I have a K-9 officer who lives down a couple of houses and at least 4 more officers from different agencies within a mile or so. I have made it a point to introduce myself to the zone officers and chat with them casually as I see them patrolling. My neighbors are getting used to seeing me after dark OCing.

20. budder

He was walking in his neighborhood (magazine out, I think). The police later went to his house and took the gun. Because that makes sense.