Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've been living here in Acworth for a month and feel settled in for the most part. I've evaluated my house/property and have developed a home defense plan. I'm also running a home security system. The way my house is layed out (in particular the location of the master br) my wife will need to be included in the plan. She has expressed interest in understanding and practicing (dry run) the plan with me, but she doesn't feel comfortable handling/shooting any of my semi-auto handguns in the real world. She has shot a .357 before (both magnums and .38 special) and did so quite well. So, I'm trying to put together a short list of revolvers for her to try. At this point she's not interested in carry so I'm inclined to think small/medium frame, 4 inch, double action. Right now I'm looking at the Ruger SP101, S&W Model 60 (the one with the adj rear sight,) and possibly the Taurus Model 66. For this caliber and due to the fact it won't be a carry gun I think a lightweight and/or stubbie is out of the question. Or, should I consider the .327 Federal Magnum? Thoughts/recommendations?

v/r
Sarge

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I don't think you can beat the SP101. She can practice with the cheaper, less recoil .38's, and keep .357 Mag in for HD. Slap on a Crimson Trace laser grip and she'll love it, especially in low light.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sounds to me like you're headed in the right direction in something DA, medium frame and manageable.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Any one of those is perfectly adequate for HD, even the Taurus (although it's not one likely to stand up to lots of practice.) I'm kinda partial to the Ruger myself as a cost-effective solution. I haven't any experience with the .327 but I think it was proposed as a solution to get the lighter/est weight revolver in that size package.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey SargeAF! I used to carry an SP101 before I switched to semi autos and highly recommend them. They are a dream to shoot with .38 +P. I never did shoot .357s with mine, so I can't speak to that. The Ruger GP100s are also great revolvers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A police trade in Smith & Wesson model 64 or 65 gets my vote.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
If she intends to carry, the SP101 with a 2" or 4" barrel is a good choice. If she does not, then a 4" GP100 gets a fuller grip, an extra shot, and reduced recoil.

If carry is an option, than .38 +P may be the ceiling for weight. If not, then definitely go for .357 and use .38 special for range ammo.

If carry is not in the cards, then you might as well look at 7 or 8 shot varieties...

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Any K frame S&W, blued or SS, to include the Model 10, 15, 19 64, 65, 66..... into the newer models. Stoke with any number of +P 38 Special loading.

Intimidating....

You can actually see the hollowpoints that are going to impact you should you not leave.

For a house gun, there is no need for concealment, so I would not go with the J Frames like the 36, 642, 37, 60..... Thougher to shoot with short right radius and not all pleasant in the lightweights.

Revolvers are great beginner guns, are proven in defense, and operate easily under stressful situations. Beginner through advanced people use them very successfully. We do in this house. The women in this house, all of them, are exceedingly competent with them.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
I would not go with a small-frame .38 revolver UNLESS these three conditions are met:

1-- She loves how it feels in her hands. She likes handling the gun and thinks it will be easy to shoot.
(Keep in mind it might be a good idea to try different grip options-- big, medium, small. Finger-groove or not. Wood or hard plastic or sticky rubberized. Plain or with built-in laser sight.)

2-- Longer than normal barrel. 3" is much better than 2" because it's easier to point (even if you don't use the sights) and it's easier to use the sights with a longer sight radius.

3-- The double-action trigger pull is fine with her. Have her test this with a dozen quick dry-fire snaps with the gun she is considering buying. A lot of women don't like the DA trigger on small revolvers, or they tend to pull the gun way off target from the extraordinary force they are putting on the trigger.

MY SUGGESTION: Get a revolver with a 4" barrel, 6 shot .38 special capacity, good sights, and find a set of grips that really fit her hand well. Or just go with Crimson Trace lasergrips if they fit her hand OK.
Get a .357 if you are sure she can handle it or if you want the ability to go "loaded for bear" if you choose to down the road. For most newbies and women (and especially women newbies) the .38 special +P is more than enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that a .38 Spl with a 4" barrel with JHP's is ideal. You almost can't go wrong with a good wheel gun. I have a S&W Mod 10 that is very controllable and accurate, easy to aim, and you can probably find one at a reasonable price. I've heard some negatives about .357's for home defense (huge muzzle flash, longer turnaround time for shots 2,3, and 4...). That said, I also have an old S&W Mod 1937 .45 (w/moon clips) with a 6" barrel which is actually the gun my wife prefers to shoot and is currently our home defense handgun. She completely nixed the 1911. You never know until they take it out on the range. It is an old frame, so I don't use +P ammo, but 230 gr standard load JHP's should do the trick just fine. With the full moon clip, it's just like a speed loader. The old single shot 12 gauge with 00 Buck is in reserve.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I "grew up" shooting revolvers, carried them on duty, and I have never lost my affection for blue steel and wood when it comes to handguns.
I have to say, that at MY house, Smith and Wesson, Ruger and Colt are the only considerations, and in that order.
I would rather have a used Smith 4 inch 38 or 357 (loaded with the FBI load 158 grn LSWCHP) than some other entries onto the revolver scene.
They are available on the used market, and can be found almost new, more worn than shot. They will outlast the owner by a generation or two, no matter how often you shoot them, and they offer reliability and pride of ownership.
A local gunstore has police issued M 10s in excellent shape for $289 bucks....hard to beat for a revolver that will last two lifetimes.....
The johnny come lately so called "self defense" rounds for 38 revolvers are unnecessarily expensive, come in small boxes, and lack the proven track record that the FBI load gives us.
People are built the same as they were 40 years ago....

If you want a piece to defend your home, those are MY suggestions....others will disagree of course

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Ruger and Rossi make good bang-for-the-buck wheel guns.

I'm seeing a pattern here, though. Guys posting that their wife/girl-friend is intimated by semi-autos and wants a revolver.

Not putting the ladies down at all, just pointing out their choice is not necessarily optimal. If my bride insisted on a revolver, fine, I get her one. I'd also make sure she had some range time with ALL my semi-autos and learned how to operate each one, and how to clear any jams. And, I'd make her PROMISE that when she ran out of six, to grab the nearest semi-auto.

When I got married, the only gun I had at that time (other than a cheap non-functioning .380) was my Glock 23. In just a few minutes she learned how to operate it, and hit center mass at the range her first time, more often than I did.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
[quote="Phil1979"
Not putting the ladies down at all, just pointing out their choice is not necessarily optimal. If my bride insisted on a revolver, fine, I get her one. I'd also make sure she had some range time with ALL my semi-autos and learned how to operate each one, and how to clear any jams. And, I'd make her PROMISE that when she ran out of six, to grab the nearest semi-auto.
[/quote]
Good points all. First, get her shooting. Then let her decide what she likes best. You and I may cringe at her choice, but we'd rather she have something rather than nothing. As I've said, my wife was pretty good with the SP-101, but she settled on a Bersa Thunder. I'm just very happy that she shoots well, carries a lot of the time, and won't answer the door without a gun in her hand. :D

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
what I never understand is that why, when someone comes on here seeking information about one thing, he or she get slammed with posts telling them why they are wrong???
The OP wanted information about revolvers....not Glocks, 1911s, Bersas, or anything else.....
If the OP wants a revolver, then let's discuss revolvers...
My house has a LOT of options when it comes to firearms. My wife has ZERO interest in self loaders, she likes revolvers.....
My girl child likes all of them, but when she moved out she took my Sig with her....along with a .22 self loader....

They get to pick their guns, I don't pick for them...

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Sheriff, I certainly wasn't trying to push the Bersa! I was merely trying to impress upon the OP the importance of letting his spouse do the choosing.

The terrible thing about this form of communication is that nobody can discern inflection, facial expression, posturing, or intonation. Had you been alongside of me, you would have realized the difference immediately. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
What about a Russian M1895 Nagant revolver? They are pretty cheap, they have hardly any recoil, hold 7 rounds, and you can get it threaded for a silencer. :love: She may not be strong enough to fire it in double action as it is probably around a 15-20lb trigger pull.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Hmmm... besides the really weak round it fires and the horrible DA pull that she probably can't manage, it sounds great. :roll:
A can on the muzzle would just be one more place a bad guy could grab the weapon to try to twist it out of her grip.
I'd rather have a short bayonet. Twin bladed. One on the left side of the muzzle, one on the right side.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Hmmm... besides the really weak round it fires and the horrible DA pull that she probably can't manage, it sounds great. :roll:
A can on the muzzle would just be one more place a bad guy could grab the weapon to try to twist it out of her grip.
I'd rather have a short bayonet. Twin bladed. One on the left side of the muzzle, one on the right side.
Single action works fine. The round is decent at around 700fps (which helps the recoil) and is close to a .38 special out of a 2 inch revolver. Thompson machine makes some short and light silencers (poseidon), but as long as she stays out of hand to hand combat range she should be okay. They are cheap at about $250 for the revolver and 250 rounds of ammo.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
SheriffOconee said:
what I never understand is that why, when someone comes on here seeking information about one thing, he or she get slammed with posts telling them why they are wrong???
The OP wanted information about revolvers....not Glocks, 1911s, Bersas, or anything else.....
If the OP wants a revolver, then let's discuss revolvers...
My house has a LOT of options when it comes to firearms. My wife has ZERO interest in self loaders, she likes revolvers.....
My girl child likes all of them, but when she moved out she took my Sig with her....along with a .22 self loader....

They get to pick their guns, I don't pick for them...
Sheriff, I did offer my input on revolvers.

Put your thinking cap on and read my post again, and you will not see anything about "slammed", or telling the poster he was wrong. Mentioning that a revolver may not be an optimal choice, and encouraging learning about semi-autos while still having the preference and choice of a revolver is not exactly a stern rebuke.

If you still disagree with my post after reading it when you've had your coffee, then shoot me...or maybe not. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies all. Looks like there is some concurrence on what I had in mind and a few more to consider as well.

She has had several range visits with me (with intention of getting her used to the semi-auto's,) but she has expressed verbally that she would prefer a revolver. She looks intimidated just handling an autoloader and I sense the frustration when I discuss what to do should a failure occur. The times she's fired my friends .357 she seemed much more comfortable and actually shot quite well. Maybe with time she might warm up to auto-loaders, but for something to have at the ready for immediate employment a revolver is what she wants.

I'm willing to explore the used market as well. Certainly, she will be the deciding factor; I've been married for 20 yrs...that part I do understand! :lol: I just wanted to come up with a short list to choose from.

v/r
Sarge

1 - 20 of 27 Posts