Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 4 am the other morning our home alarm was set off. I jumped up and grabbed my 12 gauge and started checking the house. After I cleared the house I took my XD (with handy rail light) and checked outside. None of the windows had been touched and everything was in place. Luckily I was back inside when the police decided to park down the street and sneak behind our house without notice (this was very alarming to me since I could have been shot if they snuck up behind me and I would have put my light on them. Maybe the rail light is not a good idea??). Anyway no door or windows had been opened. The police said that it could have been caused by the cold weather.

Our house was build in 1986 and pre-wired for the alarm system. The security company said the alarm was from a window. We have regular sensors on most windows but one has a security screen. We have never had a problem with the alarm in the past. Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking that the sensors may just need to be cleaned?? We have been reluctant to set the alarm since this happened mainly because we do not want to get charged by the city for multiple false alarms. However it seems to work fine now and have used it religiously for a couple of years. We are getting ready to switch security companies because our current one terrible so we have not had them check the system.

Corey
 

·
GeePeeDoHolic
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
We had a problem like that at my previous house. After having it a few years, it started going off randomly on its own, maybe every few weeks or so.

When we got the alarm company to investigate, they found one of the sensors was electrically bad somehow. He said something like the resistance wasn't what it should be. Replacing the sensor fixed it and no more problem until we moved.

That episode taught me something about police response. Once, when I was working with it trying to see if I could get it to go off by wiggling a door or something, I unthinkingly entered the "hostage" code, which turns it off like normal, but it's still sending the silent alarm to the monitoring company. In that situation, they don't call first, they just relay the dispatch. My first clue I'd done that was 45 minutes later when an officer knocked on the door and said he was sent there.

Because of all the false alarms by everyone, alarm systems are not taken seriously. Same as car alarms. They go off, no one looks or cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
Rugerer said:
We had a problem like that at my previous house. After having it a few years, it started going off randomly on its own, maybe every few weeks or so.

When we got the alarm company to investigate, they found one of the sensors was electrically bad somehow. He said something like the resistance wasn't what it should be. Replacing the sensor fixed it and no more problem until we moved.

That episode taught me something about police response. Once, when I was working with it trying to see if I could get it to go off by wiggling a door or something, I unthinkingly entered the "hostage" code, which turns it off like normal, but it's still sending the silent alarm to the monitoring company. In that situation, they don't call first, they just relay the dispatch. My first clue I'd done that was 45 minutes later when an officer knocked on the door and said he was sent there.

Because of all the false alarms by everyone, alarm systems are not taken seriously. Same as car alarms. They go off, no one looks or cares.
This is soooo soooo true!!!
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,804 Posts
Do you by chance have a glass breakage sensor that may have "heard" something? One of my dogs knocked over a trash can one night and the sound was close enough in frequency to set off the glass breakage sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rugerer said:
We had a problem like that at my previous house. After having it a few years, it started going off randomly on its own, maybe every few weeks or so.

When we got the alarm company to investigate, they found one of the sensors was electrically bad somehow. He said something like the resistance wasn't what it should be. Replacing the sensor fixed it and no more problem until we moved.

That episode taught me something about police response. Once, when I was working with it trying to see if I could get it to go off by wiggling a door or something, I unthinkingly entered the "hostage" code, which turns it off like normal, but it's still sending the silent alarm to the monitoring company. In that situation, they don't call first, they just relay the dispatch. My first clue I'd done that was 45 minutes later when an officer knocked on the door and said he was sent there.

Because of all the false alarms by everyone, alarm systems are not taken seriously. Same as car alarms. They go off, no one looks or cares.
The alarm company called right away and the police were there in under 10 minutes. We have had a couple of break-ins in our neighborhood over the last couple of years and had the police chasing someone in our neighborhood at 6 am one morning recently. So I think the local police are still taking alarms seriously in our area. 45 Minutes is completely unacceptable, especially with a hostage alarm. Those should ALWAYS be taken seriously!

Corey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adam5 said:
Do you by chance have a glass breakage sensor that may have "heard" something? One of my dogs knocked over a trash can one night and the sound was close enough in frequency to set off the glass breakage sensor.
No, only door and window sensors at our home. I dont trust glass breaks even though I have one at our business. I prefer motion detectors.

Corey
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
We have this same problem with our motion sensor. When we leave we set the motion sensor as long as the dog isn't out. Its supposed to not go off unless something 70 lbs or more moves through the field.

It also always happens around 4:30 AM. If we are away from the house, the alarm will go off, motion sensor.

We've changed it out 5 times already and it still happens. Don't know what exactly is causing it to go off.

My guess is my wife's darn cat, but it could be anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
EJR914 said:
We have this same problem with our motion sensor. When we leave we set the motion sensor as long as the dog isn't out. Its supposed to not go off unless something 70 lbs or more moves through the field.

It also always happens around 4:30 AM. If we are away from the house, the alarm will go off, motion sensor.

We've changed it out 5 times already and it still happens. Don't know what exactly is causing it to go off.

My guess is my wife's darn cat, but it could be anything.
News paper delivery, deer on a very strict schedule? :lol:
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
We do have a lot of deer around here, but I don't know how he would get inside. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
You might want to check which zone or sensor triggered the alarm and then go from there.

Also, if it were an actual intrusion, it was a bad idea to leave the room and investigate the house by yourself. You could have been shot by the intruder.

Just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
I had one that was confusing me forever. We were getting a motion reading on one sensor so often that is was bypassed... when it got changed out the alarm company wanted to physically test it to figure out the problem. They found a small spider had built a web inside the housing. To the sensor it looked HUGE.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,120 Posts
My burglar alarm:



Never takes a day off. Very quick response....
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,725 Posts
jmorriss said:
Yep, spotted them even before reading the caption. One under each sofa cushion, one above the ceiling fan, and one behind the TV. They don't train ninjas like they used to. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
We had our alarm system go off once one morning at about 2:00 am. No amount of caffeine can wake you faster than that! Turned out that some garland decoration my wife put up for Christmas on the fireplace mantle came loose fell down and triggered the living room motion sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
Had a similar experience and the alarm tech (over the phone) had me open and close each window and door until he determined which caused the problem. Closed the window in question as tightly as possible and the tech advised all was now OK. Everything has been fine for the last 5 months.



:righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
To the OP: To clarify what a security screen is, its a screen with small wires woven thru the actual screen, its typically spaced about 4" apart. This alows you to leave the window open and still be protected. The weak link of the screen is the sensor that goes off if the screen is removed. Insure that the screen is still in the frame and does not wiggle loose or have any play in it.
If it was one of the window sensors, insure the magnet in the window is in perfect alignment with the contact at the bottom of the window. Take a pencil and mark the switch and then mark the magnet, close the window and those 2 marks should be at the same place.
FYI do the same for your doors.
Motion sensors typically work on temp changes within a room, insure that your heater does not blow directlly on the sensor. If the detector is pointed towards a window, that can set it off as the windows warm with the sun.
They do make dual tech motion sensors that must have at least 2 technologied before they trip, but these are much more expensive and most companies do not use them until they have a problem.
Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Chili Pros said:
To the OP: To clarify what a security screen is, its a screen with small wires woven thru the actual screen, its typically spaced about 4" apart. This alows you to leave the window open and still be protected. The weak link of the screen is the sensor that goes off if the screen is removed. Insure that the screen is still in the frame and does not wiggle loose or have any play in it.
If it was one of the window sensors, insure the magnet in the window is in perfect alignment with the contact at the bottom of the window. Take a pencil and mark the switch and then mark the magnet, close the window and those 2 marks should be at the same place.
FYI do the same for your doors.
Motion sensors typically work on temp changes within a room, insure that your heater does not blow directlly on the sensor. If the detector is pointed towards a window, that can set it off as the windows warm with the sun.
They do make dual tech motion sensors that must have at least 2 technologied before they trip, but these are much more expensive and most companies do not use them until they have a problem.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the info! I did find that the security screen sensor was very dirty. However the screen was not cut and it was in place. I am going to try and clean all the sensors this weekend. If I have the problem again after that I will just get our security system service to fix it.

Corey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
Dirty will usually not affect them. Most people paint over them and they still work. Alignment is most important.
The screen has some sort of a sensor that activates if the screen is removed, make sure they are as close together and aligned as they can be. Same thing for your windows
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top