Holy Moley Batman...

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by BG_Atl, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Seen in another forum...
    :shakehead:

I guess this person would be okay with the Barney Fife style California carry - or perhaps NY's only if
    you are rich and famous enough mind set... :screwy:
    Could this also be true of the 1st and 4th Amendments ? What ever the state wants to do so long
    as the Fed's don't interfere...

Yikes :shock:

2. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Isn't that what the Civil War was fought over?

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Somebody needs a link to McDonald. Sounds like they read Heller though.

4. MyFred

MyFred Banned

FTFY :)

5. Owl

Owl New Member

Ditto Fred.

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Major reading and understanding fail on his part. If you want to get technical it's the First Amendment that says 'Congress shall make no law ..." which would leave the States free to impose whatever restrictions they desired, even establishing official religions. If I recall my History correctly, there were indeed official state religions at the time the Constitution was ratified. If you didn't want to be a dues paying member of the CoTFSM, then you had best move out of Pennsyltucky.

The Second Amendment has no such restriction, it says ... shall not be infringed." Period, without limitation.

I wonder if the worthy gentleman know that the majority of states either mirror or approximate the wording in the Second Amendment?

7. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

Until 1868, much of the Bill of Rights did only apply to the feds. The 14th amendment applied most of the remaining rights to the states.

8. JDcollins78

JDcollins78 New Member

This has always bothered me. Why would the Founders establish a list of rights that were supposedly so precious and then only work to keep the FEDERAL government from stomping all over them? This just doesn't make sense to me. That is why while I was happy with the recent Supreme Court decision regarding the 2a/14a, I never got why we need "incorporation".

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:righton:

Regrettably, if they keep pushing, there may be another War of Northern Aggression in the far away future, except there won't be any need to invade, because the troops are already here.

10. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

way too much common sense in one post.

11. JDcollins78

JDcollins78 New Member

:lol: Oh, my bad.

12. groats

groats New Member

The states were more important than any "federal" government at that time - hence the "United States" part of that name.
    I suspect the founding fathers thought they had the right to limit their own federal powers, but had little right to interfere with the powers of the states that created (and supposedly, could dissolve) the fed.

13. JDcollins78

JDcollins78 New Member

I get what you are saying, however if the States were more important (had more power) then the Federal government, then why would there not be concern of the States infringing on the peoples' rights? I mean, if you are going to take a shot at preserving liberty, why not go all the way?

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

From Barron v. Baltimore, 1833
    http://www.oyez.org/cases/1792-1850/1833/1833_0
    Opinion at http://supreme.justia.com/us/32/243/case.html

Basically, my take on the opinion is, it's a lot easier to change a state government than it is to get a US Constitutional amendment. If you want to live a certain way in your state, change your state. It's your "own government" after all. There was also serious opposition to giving the Federal government any more power than it had to have "to form a more perfect Union", i.e. all the power belongs to the state as much as possible.

"Words mean things," as many like to say.

Personally, it really seems to me that if you're going to define your philosophy and identify some set of rights as inalienable from your person, it should be obvious that's meant to apply to any governing body. But yet, when parts of the Constitution explicitly say "no state shall" and other parts don't, it gets harder for me to say "it's obvious." The Framers "obviously" show they know how to use words to limit the states. If they don't use the words, must they have meant not to involve the states?

When the Fourteenth came along to say "no State shall ... abridge the privileges and immunities," that should have been the end of it, right then and there. After all, they used the magic words.