Holsters prohibited

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by DKing, Jun 28, 2007.

1. DKing

DKing New Member

Well with a little coaxing I’ve been convinced to share what happened to me at the Gwinnett County Courthouse. This isn't an attempt to disparage any law enforcement officer, any where. It’s been a while, April of 2006, and I’m sure their policies have been changed since then, but I haven’t been back to find out.

I had business in the courthouse and entered wearing my usual courtroom attire of a decent suit, non-metallic belt, empty leather holster, and steel toed boots. (For kicking the prosecution's @$$ ; It helps get the lead out of their butts :wink: )I leave my 1911 in the car as the courthouse is one of the victim free zones of Georgia. Perhaps rightfully so, but in any event, I went through the metal detector and stirred up a commotion about my boots. Before going through the detector, I warned the deputy I had steel toed boots. After going through I was asked to remove my jacket, belt, and all objects from my pockets and try again.

I did so and when the alarm went off a second time it seemed I was the only one not surprised. Instantly the deputy at the scanner informed the others that “He’s got a holsterâ€. I was confronted by two deputies who told me I had to leave. I asked what for. The officer in charge came over and stood behind me. I knew enough to know that he was about to relieve me of my vertical posture and the woman who had told me to leave again reiterated I had to put my holster in my car or I would face charges.

Sensing the precariousness of my position I complied with the order, left, and was allowed re-entry without my holster. I asked for the officer’s badge number and name and she replied, “Rightâ€. I asked again, was starred at for a few minutes, and then was given the name and number.

After securing a favorable outcome for my client, I went to the Gwinnett county jail and reported the incident. No action was taken to my knowledge, but then again I wasn’t exactly demanding a firing either. I assume that that officer was duly reprimanded along with her cohorts.

My wife accompanied me to court that day and overheard their comments when I was out of the building. Most enlightening were the statements, “He came in here with an attitude.†“He could have brought a gun in earlier†and of course “I can’t believe him, we can’t allow just anybody to come in like that!â€

I'd carried the same holster in two dozen times before, but never with these deputies around. In the end I’ve learned it’s better not to argue with an officer at the scene, I’ll take my pound of flesh on cross.
    :sly:

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Ah...he had holster envy. Your holster was bigger than his. :D

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:rotfl:

4. DKing

DKing New Member

yeah, I should have worn this one :shock:

[​IMG]

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

For the life of me I can't figure out what you would have been charged with.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Wonder what code section is the correct charge for possession of an empty holster?

7. jmorin

jmorin New Member

When they can't arrive at a valid charge, I think they usually default to "disorderly conduct" or in other words, arguing with law enforcement and making us look dumb

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

It takes more than that for a valid disorderly charge based on the state law. I guess there could be local ordinances that could be of a different standard.

9. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

well you could have taken the leather holster and used it to sharpen up the metal leg of a chair to use as a weapon to do harm to a judge. yea, I can see their point of paranoia about an empty holster. and if you had brought a gun in earlier, wouldnt that mean that they didnt perform their duties properly and let the gun in without a proper holster? What a$$es.

10. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Yeah...and I "could have" smuggled in a baby nuke...but, ya know...I didn't. :roll:

Last time I checked...a holster wasn't a weapon.

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Trespassing for not leaving when they told him to...maybe...

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But what specific grounds do they have for telling him to leave? Isn't it public property and isn't he not breaking any laws?

14. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Stupidity.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please read here and see if there is an answer to your question.

16. Malum Prohibitum

And, of course, not having a holster when you returned to fetch the gun completely saved the day by preventing you from executing your nefarious plans.

I commend these brave law enforcement officers for their quick thinking under difficult circumstances.

There is no telling what Dking could have done. This is quite possibly a terrible tragedy everted.

:shoot:

Probably the wrong emoticon to use. We know Dking did not sneak in two guns because he had only one holster.

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Had I have been in those shoes & not been in a hurry - like trying to get to a hearing/trial - the first thing that pops into my head is to ask for the deputies to call in their boss (sgt? or the sherrif) to explain why wearing an empty holster is going to bar me from coming into the courthouse. Either that or to leave, call the sheriff dept & ask to speak with the sheriff & get it straightened out asap because I have an appt with the judge in about 5 minutes & when I'm late I'm going to ask him to explain why the deputies barred my entrance.

That is :bsflag:

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Let them slam you on the ground and then file a lawsuit for excessive use of force. I don't think force can be used for someone with leather on their body. If that's the case, be careful about what shoes you put on in the morning.

Does anyone think a jury would agree that force can be used against someone with a holster? Does anyone have the stats for how many people were killed last year by holsters? Suicide by holster?

If these things are a problem, we need holster control laws - full registration and licensing. :wink:

19. DKing

DKing New Member

That what I was afraid of. Although can they actually kick you out of a courthouse your required to attend? What if instead of being an attorney, I had a subpoena?

I don't think they would have actually arrested me, just think of how much business I could get if I was actually IN jail. 8) :p

20. Malum Prohibitum