Holsters for mountain biking, kayaking, etc.

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Glockenator, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Glockenator

Glockenator heathen infidel savage

I had started a thread about the Corps Of Engineers currently reviewing their carry ban, and that thread got side-tracked about holsters for mountain biking (since some mountain bike trails are on Corps land and I mentioned looking forward to possibly being able to finally carry on Corps land when I ride). I had a big part in that side-tracking, and the thread got stripped down to just the original part of the topic. I wanted to add here some of the info that was removed.

Someone asked what type of holster I use when mountain biking. I mentioned Hill People Gear chest holsters this link:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I have one (I like the Snubby one), one or two other users here do as well.
    Their stuff is highly regarded as solid, quality gear (expensive, though). You can also put your wallet, keys, etc. in a pocket separate from your gun.

I also carry in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. I like the very positive retention of those. If I crash my bike or fall off of my stand up paddleboard, I don't want my sidearm going flying (or sinking). I crash often, and fall off of my paddleboard fairly often. Normally, I don't want to add another step involved in drawing my weapon (pushing the retention button), but I feel that step is a worthy compromise to avoid my gun unintentionally leaving the holster because of my activity causing it.

I started this thread, in case other people like those types of outdoor activities and wondered what kinds of holsters were good for that.

Please add info about other holsters that you like for mountain biking, paddling watercraft, etc.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Not that I'm any sort of expert on the subject, but I like that HillPeople carrier.
    It's unobtrusive, protects the pistol from scrapes, could even protect the chest if there's a bit of kydex behind it.

Add a hydration pack flex-tube for a bit of misdirection. People are happy to believe what they think they see when the alternative is to see something they don't.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I’m going to have to deal with this soon, as I’m planning to start riding again. Preciously I kept a small pistol in an under seat bag. I no longer have a little pocket pistol to keep there. I don’t think my P30sk will fit with the other items that I keep there.

4. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Big fan of the Hillpeoplegear Kit bags. I have a Runners model I use for a lot of outdoor stuff, but mainly mountain bike riding, hiking and deer hunting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

I keep looking/waiting for someone to combine the strengths of a typical shoulder holster, a wilderness survival holster, and a hydration vest.

Take the balance of a typical shoulder holster with a firearm on one side, and extra rounds/light/phone, combine with the more motion-friendly setup of a wilderness rig to save the ribs/sternum and then leverage the load distribution, compression, and ventilation of a hydration vest. I'm not saying it has to support the weight of an 8" .44 magnum but that the benefits would scale to a compact or full-sized pistol better than just a pocket pistol. Think break-away or full zips parallel to the sternum but 2-3" from center starting 2 ribs from the bottom going down to about belt height. The pistol barrel would point down but maybe 10-15 degrees left or right and 5-10 degrees towards the rear and the grip would rest slightly below the pectoral muscle.

Right now several companies are converging on hydration vests that can support larger phones and gear while making everything more accessible than a backpack. They're just not quite there yet.

In the mean time...Remoras at 4 o-clock in compression shorts/liners have been my go-to choice for running/riding.

6. Glockenator

Side-note

On a side note to my OP on the subject of mountain biking holsters, I wanted to mention some things regarding mountain biking helmets.

For a long time, I have considered typical bicycle helmets to be just "nominal helmets". They really don't do as much as they could to protect our heads. I'm not talking about riding in the neighborhood or on paved bike paths. Crashes in those types of places aren't terribly common, during normal, calm riding.

But mountain biking is a different story. I don't ride real fast or do stunts or anything crazy. I am too old for that. But I like tough, tight, twisty trails. And even being fairly careful, me going down is not rare at all. I ride Mt Tabor park in Dallas GA fairly often. Lots of "gotchas" there - big roots or loose rocks immediately after a tight turn. Things that will put you on the ground if you don't anticipate them. Almost every time I ride there, I either come off of my bike and luckily land on my feet, or I hit the ground. Sometimes hard.

I value my nose. I value my teeth. I value my ears. So, if I am riding an Intermediate or higher rated trail, I wear a full-face bicycle helmet. Because I have very little faith in typical dome helmets offering much protection.

I am intimately familiar with traumatic brain injuries caused by a low speed crash on dirt. I am well aware of what happens to a brain when the skull stops moving almost instantly. Even with a very nice helmet, when that happens, the brain is bruised when it jars against the inside of the skull. A full face helmet helps a little in that regard, because they generally have better padding inside, plus the huge factor of protecting the jaw, nose, ears, lower back of the head, etc.

Sure, your head will get hotter with a full face helmet. Sure, that is less comfortable. But comfort is just comfort. And mountain biking isn't a comfortable sport. Every time I get home, I have scrapes, bruises, sore muscles and fatigue. Those are just uncomfortable, and the "price of doing business". A broken nose, lost teeth, etc., are downright painful. And a concussion or worse can make your life rather unpleasant.

I got one of these a couple of years ago:

https://www.backcountry.com/six-six-one-comp-helmet?skid=SSO007G-RED-L&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNpeCBTaXggT25lIEJpa2UgSGVsbWV0cyAmIFByb3RlY3Rpb246MToxOjEwMDAwMDQ4MF9iYy1iaWtlLWhlbG1ldHMtcHJvdGVjdGlvbg==

Helmets like that can be found even cheaper, if you shop around and look for bargains.

I like to mitigate risks. To do what is reasonable, practical and feasible to lessen the chance of something really bad happening. Such a helmet isn't prohibitively expensive, isn't very heavy, isn't painful to wear, and only makes me sweat more. In chilly or cold weather, the sweat factor isn't much at all.

I apologize for my long-winded "rant" on this subject. I was thinking about posting this, as I rode today. And I have been seeing idiots ride motorcycles and quads (another name for "4-wheelers") through my neighborhood with no helmets at all. Not putting around in their yard - but buzzing up and down the street at 20-40 mph, popping wheelies, etc. They must not have enough of a brain to consider worth preserving.

If me mentioning this gets at least one person to switch to a real helmet, then I would feel like I did some good. I would at least like to get people thinking about it.

7. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

Take a look at Osprey running vests. The 15 liter version has 3 pockets that can conceal at least a Taurus TCP or large smartphone up front (@10, 2 on waist and 11 on chest) and may also support the same @4 and @8 on kidneys but I didn't have time to verify the 4 and 8 spots.

8. Glockenator

Brand?

9. JKglockster

JKglockster Member

I like this vest Idea