Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Holster Suggestions (Paddle or OWB Belt)

3K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Watch_Their_Hands 
#1 ·
So, I own a Sig P-220, and want to get a holster for it. I definitely want to get some kind of OWB for it. If I feel brave, I might even try for an IWB someday, though a 220 is a little thick for that in my mind.

Any suggestions on an OWB? Personally, I'm torn between going for a paddle holster, and a belt holster. On the one hand, a paddle holster is really easy to take on and take off, but it seems to be hard to find a decent one. Belt holsters are a pain to take on and off, but seem to cost less for a good one and are more common.

Other thoughts I've had. How easy is it for someone to remove a paddle holster from your body? As an example, suppose someone saw you were open carrying, and tried to take your gun away from you while it was still holstered. It almost looks like you might be able to rip a paddle holster right off. Belt holsters at least appear sturdier.

Comments and suggestions please.

#9 ·
I use a paddle most of the time.
Positives
Easy to take off. There are so many off limit places in GA this is a plus.
Comfortable without a pistol belt.
Rides a little farther away from the body. Aids in drawing and sweating.

Negatives
Easy to take off. Not the best choice for open carry.
Rides a little farther away from the body. Doesn't conceal as well.

Chances are you will wind up with a box full of holsters trying to find the one or two you use most of the time.

#12 ·
rajl said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Definitely belt holster. It isn't that tough to take on and off. I do it while driving all the time.
Why do you say definitely?
For the negatives listed by ber950.

I want a gun secure. I like it attached to the belt and with a thumbbreak.

I have an inside the waistband holster that does not attach to the belt and does not have a thumb break, but my preference is an outside the waistband holster with a thumb break.

Like this.

#14 ·
Seriously, it is more comfortable not to have something sticking inside your pants, too.

I first became acquainted with this holster while performing duties that required interaction, sometimes hostile, with an exposed firearm, while dressed in regular clothes.

I am now comfortable with this style of holster. It also hides well when concealing a larger firearm.

It mainly comes down to personal preference.

Something that you find comfortable will be something you carry. The rest will end up in the "box full of holsters" that ber950 describes.

#15 ·
Any practical thoughts on cross-draw versus strong-side?

I'm right handed, so I can see strong side get annoying because it would sit right next to where my seat-belt locks when I'm driving my car. Also, if someone came up behind me, cross-draw might be easier to get my pistol because I could use my body to hide the movement of my arm as I reach for it.

On the downside, just moving my arms around, cross-draw feels a little slower than strongside to draw.

Any thoughts?

#16 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
That way, if necessary, I can beat your ass without having to worry about the gun falling out. :shattered:
I do like that point. I don't necessarily want to kill everyone that tries to pick a fight with me.

How much does the retention strap slow down the draw? Is it enough to matter in your violent encounters that you've been in?

#17 ·
I got the paddle mainly because I needed a good range OWB holster. It also works well when I need to run out the door on a quick errand.

In the future I am going to get a good leather OWB holster with a thumb break.

#18 ·
There are some composites that offer both paddle and belt that I have heard good thing about. Check blackhawk CQC

#22 ·
I would not personally use crossdraw and here is why.

In the event I need my gun it is closer to my strong hand (right) and I have the added benefit of being able to move my body to protect my strong side while maintaining unfettered access to the weapon.

With crossdraw I have to get my gun hand to the other side of my body. Also, it is far easier to prevent me from drawing my weapon. The person only has to get close enough to press my arm down. Since people have less strength when they are trying to either arm outward and away from their body if find that would be a disadvantage.

So crossdraw is not for me.

#25 ·
I agree with Ramm.

I like the idea that if I get in a close combat situation, I can use my off hand to keep an attacker at arms length, while turning my gun side away and keeping my strong hand to protect my gun/draw.

Is that also the reason most LEOs carry strong side?

#26 ·
I am thinking that even if an attacker grabs me from behind and pins my upper arms I have a better chance with the pistol on the strong side because I can cover it with my hand and draw it when I kick him in the cojones or head butt him in the nose(ok he would have to be pretty short but it does work).

I usually assume IF a BG gets ahold of me it will be from behind because I hope to perceive the threat from the front soon enough to draw before he is in grabbing distance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.