Holster Choice for my new Kahr PM9

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GrimJack, Jun 10, 2007.

1. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Now that I have my permit I quickly found that lugging my Sig 239 around was a bit of a pain in the side (literally). A friend of mine has a PM9 and I really like the size and weight of it so I picked one up. Great little pistol, but now to find a good IWB holster for it. Looking for something that offers good concealment, secure hold and comfort. Any actual suggestions would be welcome and appreciated. Sarcasm as always will be tolerated in not actually encouraged.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Might I suggest the Comp-Tac Infidel...

They make it in your gun and you can't go wrong with it. Ask PTsmith, he loves his.

3. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for the mounting kit for the Comp-Tac holster? The PM 9 is a small gun, but I like the idea of something to keep it from tilting out of position.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If you have a 1.5 inch belt then I'd go with the clip. Otherwise, I'd go with the leather tabs.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You are finding a Sig 239 to big for CCW? Not poking you with a stick here, but I regularly carry service sized pistols as my CCW including a Ruger P95, and quite a few folks carry 1911s. Compared to those a Sig 239 is light and almost tiny.

What rig are you using for the 239?

7. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Galco IWB, not sure of the model number off the top of my head. I am not a small guy and have a bit of a roll going over the top of my belt. The Galco rig did suck as it is basically a flatop with nothing between me and the top of the 239. The combination was uncomfortable, I like that the PM9 is small enough that you feel like it isn't there. It would also be a great ankle gun and then I could use the 239 (with a decent holster) or my G32 as primary.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Understood. The right holster makes a huge difference.

Is your 239 in .357Sig to match your G32?

9. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

i've got a Milt Sparks Watch Six for my Kahr K9 and it is quite lovely......... worth the dough.

10. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Nope, it is a 9mm, my wife likes shooting that better than my G32.

11. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I just picked up my new Kahr CW9 this morning myself and am facing the same dilemma. I used the Don Hume IWB for my 27, uhm...now my 26, but have no idea what to get for the Kahr. I like the idea of the one belt clip for an IWB which is easily and quickly removed and replaced. I am thinking about the Comp-Tac "Pro Undercover" slide. But I went with the smaller gun for a more comfortable carry experience so I want to find something that doesn't leave indentations in my skin! . :x

I too wanted the PM9 but found a great deal on a 2 month old CW9 for 1/2 the price and went for it. We'll see how that works out.

Please tell us about your experiences with your new PM9. I've read the first 200-300 rounds bring the expectation of some failures but that should subside thereafter. Let me know if you find that "perfect" holster too.

12. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I have a PM9 and it did jam every so often when new. I have probably shot another 300 rounds thru it since the initial 200 or so and it hasn't jammed since.

I have a Don Hume pocket holster for mine that I use with my motorcycle jacket. My 33 was too large for the pocket in my jacket.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Cool. I obtained one last week in .40SW, but I prefer 9mm to .40SW. The trade was a good one though. There are pics of it in the firearms section. I haven't had a chance to shoot her yet though. If I decide to keep her I might pick up a .357Sig barrel for it and one for my G27.

14. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I took it to the range for the first time yesterday with the plan to shoot 200 rounds through it to get it broken in per the manual. I accidentally threw in one box of .357 sig and between that and shooting a 31 round mag from my 34 I think I probably only got aboug 180 or so through it (I will finish off the other 20 and then some at the 6/16 get together). I had a round or two in the after first installing the mag that didn't want to smoothly chamber, but other than that not a single misfire (FTF or FTE). I did take it home and throughly clean it and put some grease on the bearing surfaces before I shot it and also slid the slide about 30 times or so before the first firings. I was quite happy with it so far. I carried it about half a day yesterday and about the same today in this crappy Galco (DC296). Even though it is made for the Sig 239, the PM9 sticks about an inch and a quarter above the top, the top is level on front and back so the back of the slide kinda pokes my roll. Stil, a nice shooter and nice to carry. I will have it with me next Saturday if anyone wants to take a look or wants to fire a few and help me break it in.

Based on advice here I ordered a Don Hume IWB and Pocket holster and a Comp-Tac Infidel holster. So if I don't like one of them then someone else may get a good deal on one (hopefully not both). Anyone know how long it typically takes from Don Hume? I received an email from Gregg at Com-Tac already today saying their lead time right now is 7-10 days.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've got a few Don Hume products that I'm fairly happy with how they work. I don't own a C-tac, but most that do love them.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

How is it any easier? My department policy mandates that cary off duty be concealed. I have to do just as good a job of concealing as anyone else. Are you saying this because I'd have to deal with less shenanigans once I show my badge and ID? If so, I guess that would make sense, but I do my best to avoid being made when off duty.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

18. bags

bags New Member

I carry a full size 1911 with no problems and I am NOT LE.

Good holster + good belt= great carry 8)

And FWIW, I have a beltman belt and a max con V from broomeland gun leather

pic for refference off his site

[​IMG]