Hollowpoints not feeding in 1911

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by GFLinTX, Oct 26, 2010.

1. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

I bought an unused Springfield 1911 in Columbus in mid-June. I've now put at least a thousand rounds through it, but it still won't feed hollowpoints. I rack the slide and the round just jams into the feed ramp. If I fiddle around with it enough, it might eventually feed but that's not very convenient. It does ball ammo just fine, so I've been carrying with that, but I do prefer hollowpoint for anytime I'm not just punching holes on the range. Any suggestions? I've heard people talk about getting the feed ramp polished. Is that likely to solve this issue?

Oh, and don't get me wrong...I love this gun and with ball ammo I've never experienced a problem after sending a few rounds downrange to break it in. I'd recommend a 1911 to ANYONE (well, not a felon, but you get my point). Still, I'd like to get this issue handled.

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Have you tried different hollowpoints? Have you tried different magazines?

Personally if it were me and it was 100% with FMJ, then thats what I'd carry. I mean a .45 is a big hole.

3. DocMindbender

DocMindbender New Member

Don't have much advice, but I have a Springfield Loaded and it has eaten WWB JHPs from Walmart without a hitch or hiccup. Maybe it's the particular ammo you are using?

4. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Yes on both counts.

I'm using Corbon +P JHPs and Corbon DPX. Er, trying to use.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Either run Corbon Powerball for a defensive load or have a smith tweak it to run hollow points.

6. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Buff that ramp & chamber, might need a tweekin.

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Throw away your current mag and buy two good mags and call me in the morning.

8. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

I have a Springer and a Colt and neither one will feed certain hollow point ammo reliably. I just stick with ball. As someone already pointed out: It makes a big hole.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

What mags have you tried? Polishing your feed ramp isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't go much further than that, let a smith take a look.

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

From gunsmith Hilton Yam's online blog: http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

I have read, but can't find right now, about problems with the Corbons feeding reliably in some 1911s. Those bullets have a big opening on the front end. I even tried the two brands of Corbons you are trying to use in your gun and I could not get them to feed reliably. I went to Gold Dots and Rangers. Good luck. If you have to, send it back to Springfield. That's why they have a Lifetime Warranty. :)

11. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

A 1911 that is finicky with ammo?!? Say it ain't so! ;)

Just kidding (sort of). Remember that the 1911 was designed to feed 230gr ball ammo. The more a bullet deviates from that profile, the more difficult it will be to make it reliable in anything approaching a "mil-spec" 1911 pistol. You can polish the feed ramp, radius the upper back edge of the chamber, and perform other tricks that *might* help. But in the end, some 1911s just will not like to feed hollowpoints. I'd suggest trying to find an HP round that looks as much as possible like a FMJ in profile. If you really can't find one that works, you can try some of the expanding FMJ bullets out there (I think Federal makes them).

Good luck. 15 years of carrying 1911s proved to me they are great pistols, but can really be a PITA to get tuned the way you want them. It might actually be less trouble to sell it and try a different 1911 (sometimes even different pistols from the same company will feed much better than others). The good news is that .45ACP FMJ is a very effective round, all the "you must always use hollowpoints" hype notwithstanding. Many dead German and Japanese soldiers will attest to this fact. :righton:

12. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try some of the Gold Dots and Rangers, then test out some new mags at the store (I've only tried my standard issue mags and my roommate's mags), and then take it to a gunsmith and have them look at it. I doubt I'll have to go any farther than that, but we'll see. And regardless, I have no problem just using ball ammo for it. I'm sure that hole will be nice and large.

That said...umm, anybody want some Corbons? :shattered:

13. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

As Adam5 suggested, try Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball. The bullet nose is almost exactly the same shape as ball ammo.

14. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

FMJ FTW! I gave up on HP's in mine. I carry FMJ's and never worry about whether that round will do enough "damage" should I ever need it. Hell of a lot cheaper to shoot too and you should shoot what you carry IMHO.

15. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

You should get a few Tripp Cobra Mags and give them a try. Personally the only other mags I would purchase right now would be the Wilson Combat ETM's. The ACT/Novak's are good as well but had a history of cracking their feed lips, I keep them as my range mags.

16. galvatron

galvatron Member

Here's the number one best answer, SEND IT BACK TO SPRINGFIELD.
    They have a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the weapon, it doesn't matter if your the original owner or the 15th. As long as nobody else has already "reworked" your pistol you're golden.
    Call the 800 number and explain the problem you should have a call tag waiting to be printed sitting in your inbox within 10 minutes of the call. Box her up an send it in. They'll rework it and test it. My new GI series wouldn't feed anything without a problem. Multiple mags, ammo etc. When I got it back it eats like a goat, just like my Glock. Fortunately I reload because it has one mean appetite.
    It was 12 days door to door for me which according to other fourms is about average turn around.

17. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Also try Critical Defense from Hornady. It is fairly similar in the design of a FMJ and it feeds awesome in my 1911

18. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Hm, my PT1911 just ate 100 rounds of all sorta of different flavors of ball and JHP ammo today at the range, in 4 different mags, brass and aluminum case, all without a single issue. Maybe I didn't spend enough money on it for it to be finicky.

19. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

:roll:

Just because you spent less money for a gun that works fine doesn't mean much of anything. I would bet there a lot fewer Springfield's that get returned for service than Taurus and when they do I can tell you who I would rather be dealing with. I don't own either of these brands currently but I have enough experience with both to say that you would be in the vast minority if you think the quality of Taurus surpasses Springfield in any way. 100 rounds isn't even closed to proving the reliability of a firearm, when you get to 500 or a 1000 rounds without issues then you have something.