Hola!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by rajl, Aug 11, 2006.

1. rajl

rajl New Member

No, I don't speak Spanish, I'm just originally from Florida :)

A few things about me:

1) I've been lurking here for awhile, and now I've finally registered.
    2) I love guns (duh!)
    3) I want to get my CCW permit, but do not currently have it.
    4) As much as I want to get one, I haven't gotten it yet for the following reasons:
    -I live in Dekalb County (this is a whole topic unto itself)
    -GFP does not allow me to legally carry in places where I want/need to
    -The laws surrounding where I can and cannot legally carry are rather
    poorly written and often not correctly understood by LEOs.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That just means to start now if you want it by next summer. :D

Where?

True enough, but you ought to get it anyway since you cannot carry at all outside your home, car, or place of business without a license. By and large, LEO ignorance, while rampant, very rarely results in actual problems for license holders carrying a firearm. The most problem I have ever encountered is once being disarmed, had the serial number checked for stolen (how insulting! that is accusing me of being a thief!), and had the firearm returned to me with all of the bullets out of the magazine so that I had to reload them one by one, chamber a round, drop the magazine, load another round, and reinsert the magazine. I open carry more than most here, and it has not been a problem so far, but, then, I am familiar with the laws and try not to brazenly violate them.

A license might be the difference between something as drastic as a felony or no charge at all, such as if you are picking up or dropping off a student at a school.

It certainly cannot hurt to have it.

As you get ready to apply, however, review this:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

3. Malum Prohibitum

It lets you carry in most places.

We just have a large list of off limits places. But the large majority of places are not off limits.

4. rajl

rajl New Member

My biggest worry about getting a permit in DeKalb count is that I will be moving (changing apartment complexes) in less than a year's time. The last thing I want to do is confuse things even more than they already are.

As for places I can't carry, but would want to/need to: state parks (those mountain lions and bears can find humans rather tasty); any sit-down restraunt that happens to have a bar, even if I am not consuming (good bye carrying in Chili's, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebee's, Carraba's, Olive Garden; sporting events; and a few others. Now not all of these are necessarily needs. For example, if I'm hiking or camping in a state park, I'd like to have the peace of mind that I won't make an easy snack for a bear, even if I end up as snackfood nonetheless. By the same token, while I might not *need* a weapon at a sporting event (like a Braves game), the parking is often times in rather shady neighborhoods around the stadium, and I would like to be able to defend myself while going to or from the car. And Marta, don't get me started about that. I use Marta for transportation in the fine City of Atlanta. If I'm legally allowed to carry on the outside of two stations, why am I not allowed to carry between two points of my journey?

Can I carry at work? No, but that's not for legal reasons. My employee covenant says that company policy is not to allow any firearms onto the premises. Of course, if someone is planning on coming to work to shoot the place up in a mass murder, they're not going to be concerned about adding one more charge to the docet. But that is another story.

Anyway, I would personally love to see the laws have less restrictive provisions about where I could carry, and if there is any ongoing way I can help, besides voting, let me know.

5. Malum Prohibitum

In your shoes, I might wait until the day after I had moved to the new apartment.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Or at least until your new place's first utility bill arrives. I have had bills for utilities before I even had a chance to move in, setup or install fees etc..

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If by "less than a year's time" you mean 11 months, I'd go ahead and apply now. If you mean 2 weeks, wait.

8. rajl

rajl New Member

I'd say about 7 months time.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Then I would apply now.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Me, too.

For some reason I thought you said a month, instead of a year.

I need to slow down when I read.