Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This could be a awesome way to get to hunt some really good land and provide for your family. #Bacon

Hog Hunters Wanted
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
sent this bulletin at 10/15/2014 03:00 PM EDT
Are you interested in hunting feral hogs on local, private lands?

Hunters Helping Farmers is a new private lands initiative opportunity that seeks to match up hog hunters in the same county with farmers that need assistance with hog removal.

This new program is a partnership effort of the Georgia Department of Agriculture and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in order to help landowners manage the damaging impact of feral hogs.
http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/GADNR/bulletins/c9bfac#.VD7GB_mOJ0Q.twitter

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I was thinking about calling them tomorrow. Have you done this?

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done this, and really have no need right now. I already hunt some private land in Montgomery County on the Oconee River that has all the hogs we can handle.

This could very well turn into a awesome opportunity to have access to some good quality hunting land local to you and help curb the feral hog population.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
You might even make friends with the farmer and be allowed to return to hunt deer on his/her land.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,863 Posts
I'm not a hunter, but this sounds like a win-win situation for the farmers and hunters. I will pass it to a friend or two.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks for posting. Signed up!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Awesome! It sounded great until I noted the "...seeks to match up hog hunters in the same county with farmers..." part surmising the Fulton County feral hog population to be zilch.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Awesome! It sounded great until I noted the "...seeks to match up hog hunters in the same county with farmers..." part surmising the Fulton County feral hog population to be zilch.
I doubt they would count certain trough-swilling, out of control politicians, so Fulton County is probably out. Perhaps a "how far are you willing to travel?" question might be in order, especially for folks living near county lines.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
South Fulton is very rural. We buy cheese, eggs, chicken, lamb etc. from a farm in Chattahoochee Hills and it's surrounded by other farms.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Am I overthinking this when I hesitate to fill in all of the info required to join in? Seems anywhere else wanting all of this online, especially a gov't agency, would get a giant pause and probably deleted normally. I want to participate so bad, but....
oh the dilemma.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Am I overthinking this when I hesitate to fill in all of the info required to join in? Seems anywhere else wanting all of this online, especially a gov't agency, would get a giant pause and probably deleted normally. I want to participate so bad, but....
oh the dilemma.
I hesitated too. Wonder why they are using a google docs form?

It's a good idea and I think the original distribution list was people already registered with a hunting license, so for us, it's not something they don't already know.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
... Perhaps a "how far are you willing to travel?" question might be in order, especially for folks living near county lines.
I agree! Regarding the "trough-swilling out of control politicians"... I feel for your sentiments!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
South Fulton is very rural. We buy cheese, eggs, chicken, lamb etc. from a farm in Chattahoochee Hills and it's surrounded by other farms.
No doubt! Are there actual feral hog numbers/populations there though?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I called. It was frustrating. ](*,) Sometimes I think I'd rather deal with an automated system.

The point of my call was to find out about the county match-up, since I don't "hunt" in my residential county. I'm at a loss of words to describe the attempted conversation.

Anyway, if any of you get a hunt going in the "Northern zone" and would allow me to join in, shoot me a PM.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts