HK UMP Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 01coltcolt, Jun 30, 2007.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

On a good note I finally got my UMP after a 5 1/2 month wait. Its a 100% HK parts gun! conversion was done by the best Tactical Excellence out of FL. I used a FBI lower. I Had my HK USC converted to a UMP .45ACP. I got a call from UPS saying that myself needed to be present on Wendsday from 7 am-7pm to sign for it with a valid photo ID. Wendsday came and went nothing. So did Thursday and Friday.I called the gunsmith that did the work and he said it was delivered on Wensdsay at 538PM and was for signed by me..........My name signed for it. I called UPS and found out they delivered it to 3 houses down in my neighborhood and was signed for by me. I was pissed I went to the residence they IDed. A guy maybe 55+ years old awnsered the the door. I said you had a package delivered here 3 days ago it belongs to me. Can I get it? He left for like 5 minutes. When he came back he ask for my ID. I produce a ID and showed him my name. He left again for about 5 minutes came back with my rifle package open. He said My sons going to be pissed when he gets home! I said what ? He said his son was 18 years old and thought it was a present. When they realized it wasn't his they didn't know what to do? WTF? Stupid people! He told me his son got on the internet and found out what it was. It was under his bed a $4500.00 rifle.......what ever?............... Well it all turned out good Here it is........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DKing

DKing New Member

I believe the correst response is...
    Holy !

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Yep. That was mine as I was reading this.

Beautiful rifle, glad it all turned out good.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Glad to hear that it turned out OK, but it sounds like a clear case of theft by receiving to me. How much do you care about the neighbor? :twisted:

5. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

I am reporting the whole situation to ATF on Monday. I think UPS is the most at fault but the neighbors are just plain ignorant!

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, they've got to be pretty dumb to sign someone else's name thinking it was for them... :roll:

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice rifle by the way. Coming to the next meet?...whenever that may be. :wink:

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

UPS screwed the pooch. So much for the big deal about you having to be there and having photo ID. Obviously the driver didn't check it.

The fact that they knowingly signed your name and kept your property does provide a case for theft.

9. M249

M249 New Member

That is definitely theft. They signed your name? Isn't that fraud?

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Or you could just do this the easy way and offer to take them way out in the woods to "show" them the rifle.

standard disclaimer: I am not advocating any sort of illegal activity

11. kegan

kegan New Member

Beautiful weapon, congratulations!!.

The neighbor situation is concerning. It will probably get around the 'hood
    what you posses. I would also be worried about the 18 yo or one of his
    friends trying to reclaim "his gift" when your at work/out (although for an
    average IQ person the HK should be enough deterrent, unfortunately
    these neighbors don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer).
    To quote Frost "good fences make good neighbors".

I'm sure you will take proper safety measures, including insuring the HK
    with your home owners policy(?)

But too much time wasted on ignorant people. Enjoy exercising your IIA Rights on Americas Independence day.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL

12. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Anything ever come of this? Both the UPS & neighbor were party to this.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

mistake

UPS made a mistake.
    But don't beat them over the head about it too hard, or they might use incidents like this as an excuse not to ship firearms anymore.
    They don't "have to" accept gun-related packages, you know.

Your neighbor probably made an innocent mistake at the time he first took possession of the package.

When UPS suddenly shows up at my door and they stick a package in my hands and say "sign here,"
    that's what I do. Without checking anything, and without hesitation.

I could be signing my own Death Warrant for all I know.
    I could be signing a statement that I realize the box that has just been delivered to me contains
    live poisonous snakes, and I promise not to open it without protective gear.
    I'm just going to sign the form, wave goodbye, and rip the box open and see what it is--
    maybe something I ordered weeks ago and forgot about.

But when your neighbor and his son KEEP the firearms for days after they realize it's a mistake,
    and they don't contact you and don't contact UPS....

... I'd say it's pretty much a criminal case of TxR at that point.

14. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Re: mistake

Yep, they didn't verify identity as they stated they needed to do. Around here it is worse to fall short of a standard you set for yourself than it is to make a mistake.

It's beyond that though, the kid signed someone else's name. If he signed his own name, or that of his father's there may be some slack to be cut, but the intention seems pretty clear here.

15. turbo

turbo New Member

hope u get 'em

16. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Every time UPS has asked me to sign something, I've used My Own Name, not someone elses name. Signing someone elses name is misrepresenting who received the package.

Definitely talk to BATFE, and you might consider the local law enforcement as well. They misrepresented who they were in order to receive your UMP and if you had not gone there to retrieve it, it would still be in their possession.

It Was Not a "Simple Mistake, oooopsie", sort of thing; it was deliberate.

17. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

It could be that the neighbor signed HIS name to the package, but the driver entered the correct recipient's name in the system because neither of them was paying attention.

If the neighbor was deceitful, then he should get in trouble...if the driver didn't do his job, then he should be the one to take the rap.

I had a problem with UPS a couple of years ago.

They delivered a package that was addressed to me at 708 My Street. UPS said they delivered it to 710 My Street and had some dude's signature for it.

First, I have no idea why they delivered it to the wrong address intentionally.

Second, there was no 710 on My Street!

Of course, UPS officially has no idea how this happened, or where the package really went.

This biggest hassle of the entire experience was explaining to Comsast that: no I did not receive the digital cable receiver, no I had no idea where it was, and no I was not going to pay for it. I told them to take it up with UPS.

18. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

will you SBR your UMP clone, or leave it as it???