Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visit the ColtForum dot com on occasion. This is too cool to not share. Ought to click link below.

Nemo

"Provenance: W.B. "Bat" Masterson (letter from the Opera House Saloon, July 24th, 1885; shipped to Masterson on July 30th, 1885, according to Colt Firearms letter, October 16, 1976); George Walton, Roanoke, VA; sold at auction to Paul Selley, Palatine, IL; sold to Paul Pasko, Jr., Palatine, IL; Walter Buel Ford Collection; sold, his sale, Sotheby Parke Bernet, Los Angeles, March 7, 1976, to Jim and Theresa Earle; EXHIBITED: Homer Garrison Museum at Waco, Texas (now the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum), c.1980."

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

www.bonhams.com

Bonhams : BAT MASTERSON'S COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY REVOLVER, CUSTOM ORDERED FROM THE OPERA HOUSE SALOON, DODGE CITY, July 24, 1885. Serial no. 112737 for 1884, .45 caliber 4 34 inch barrel.
Serial no. 112737 for 1884, .45 caliber 4 3/4 inch barrel. G stamped under serial number at triggerguard and backstrap. Nickel plated. Crescent ejector rod. Black gutta percha grips. Extra grips. Condition: Excellent. 98% nickel finish. Light areas of pinprick flaking particularly within...
www.bonhams.com
www.bonhams.com

Its a old story but I never saw it described as well as the above Bonham's link.

"Gents
Please send Me one of your nickel plated short .45 calibre revolvers. It is for my own use and for that reason I would like to have a little Extra pains taken with it. I am willing to pay Extra for Extra work. Make it very Easy on the trigger and have the front Sight a little higher and thicker than the ordinary pistol of this Kind. Put on a gutta percha handle and send it as soon as possible, have the barrel about the same length that the ejector rod is.
Truly Yours,
W B Masterson

(Sent from the Opera House Saloon, Dodge City, July 24th, 1885). "

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Imagine downing a third beer eating a Buffalo samvitch- and writing a letter to Colt on bar letter head paper- "send it to the Opera Saloon C.O.D." What was the turn around? Nowadays.. a compuker, a credit card and the guvment is envolved and you gotta put the kings ransom of silver down far far far in advance. Bat ordered nine Model P's direct from the Colt factory. So the man had dinero and used them (Old Colts) a lot. Besides the nine he also probly had a barrel full of beater Colts to sell to Gullivers. lol

"THE MOST FAMOUS OF BAT MASTERSON'S COLT SINGLE ACTIONS, ORDERED JULY 24, 1885 FROM THE OPERA HOUSE SALOON, DODGE CITY, KANSAS.
According to Masterson's famous letter, still present in the Colt Archives in Hartford, CT (and reproduced here), Masterson took great care in requesting his weapon, asking for an easy trigger, higher site, and gutta percha grips, details one would expect from a man who expected to use it. Masterson ordered nine Colt Single Actions between 1879 and 1888, but this is the most famous: ordered with his fantastically detailed letter at the height of his popularity and fame—and specifically stating that he is ordering it for his own use. "

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta

A nickle plated black eagled .45, 4.75 SAA is still one of the handiest and best looking shooters ever.

Old Bat knew his Colts!

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Wow. That and the letter together would be great to have. Then my kids could sell it when I’m dead and gone. 😃

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Colt was shipped back when men were men and cables were unnecessary.

Nemo

Reactions: Phil1979
1 - 4 of 4 Posts