Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently a high school senior wants to use men with guns to enforce a styrofoam ban on Glynn county beaches along with Alex Muir of 100 miles. Home - One Hundred Miles - Preserving and Protecting Georgia’s Coast

Polystyrene foam coolers may be banned from the beaches on St. Simons Island if the Glynn County Commission goes along with pleas from an environmental group, but the ordinance the county will consider may fall short of what some want.
Environmentalists would like to keep all Styrofoam products off the county’s sandy shores….

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
While I don't agree with the tactics of fools if Styrofoam was outlawed worldwide today at 6pm it would be a tremendous win for the inhabitants of this Planet.

Reactions: AzB

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
Knowing that crushed or damaged Styrofoam containers are a huge litter problem and very difficult to clean up fully...

.... and knowing that so many people are stupid and reckless and what are litterbugs who will leave their cheap disposable Styrofoam containers behind when their beach trip is over...

... and further knowing that Styrofoam coolers are structurally week and therefore more likely to break during use, especially if children or teenage boys are using them, and therefore a Styrofoam cooler is much more likely (vs. a hard sided metal or plastic cooler) to become unwanted trash due to breakage...

Why not ban them from particularly sensitive environmental areas where there has already been a well-documented problem with them being abandoned and turning into litter?

How is this any different from a city or county having an ordinance that says "no glass bottles at any public pool"?

Reactions: OWM

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
Years ago, the US Army Corps of Engineers banned large blocks of uncovered Styrofoam as the floating supports for peoples' boat docks on Lake Lanier. Now, if you want to use a dock floater based on Styrofoam it has to be fully in enclosed in a hard plastic shell.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago, the US Army Corps of Engineers banned large blocks of uncovered Styrofoam as the floating supports for peoples' boat docks on Lake Lanier. Now, if you want to use a dock floater based on Styrofoam it has to be fully in enclosed in a hard plastic shell.
That is also something that you gotta be permitted for…trash on the beach here isn’t a huge problem except for ga/fl weekend and then tons of people go out and clean up after the college kids. It’s a solution for something that isn’t a problem

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Why not ban them from particularly sensitive environmental areas where there has already been a well-documented problem with them being abandoned and turning into litter?
While I agree with that statement I would contend that the Planet as a whole is a particularly sensitive environmental area.

Reactions: AzB

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Foamed polystyrene is made up of thousands of tiny plastic balls that are released when the Styrofoam is broken or crushed and are virtually impossible to remove entirely, said Lea King-Badyna, KGIB executive director.
I hate that stuff. Companies use it to package their products. When you open the box the polystyrene breaks and you and everything around turns into a polystyrene magnet. :mad:

·
PITA
326 Posts
And another thing that you can almost always count on seeing on the ground, almost anywhere and everywhere, along with cigarette butts from assholes that think the world is their ashtray, is styrofoam, either little pieces here & there, or whole containers.

And don't get me started on glitter that comes on some cards. Glitter: The herpes of the craft world. You can never get rid of that shit.

Maybe the same person invented both styrofoam and glitter. Cackling, and saying, "I am leaving my mark upon the entire world - hehehehe".

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
While I agree with that statement I would contend that the Planet as a whole is a particularly sensitive environmental area.
I would contend that the planet is not nearly as sensitive as the environmentalists would have us to believe. I'd say that it's actuality quite resilient.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I would contend that the planet is not nearly as sensitive as the environmentalists would have us to believe. I'd say that it's actuality quite resilient.
I would say that you are correct but why trash things up when there is no need to. Many things people own are resilient but most take care of them. As for environmentalists I group them for the most part with the likes of Fauci.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Last trip, we did it backwards. Bought a foam cooler while at the beach condo, to take home the refrigerator contents accumulated during the stay.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I believe in taking care of it and not trashing it up. I just take exception to the statement that the whole planet is a sensitive environmental area. That's the premise that the environmentalists use for all of the regulations and restrictions that we already have. They would have us believe that the world is too sensitive of a place for humans to be allowed to inhabit. It must be protected from us at all cost. With that being said, we should not litter, nor leave our styrofoam products laying around.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I believe in taking care of it and not trashing it up. I just take exception to the statement that the whole planet is a sensitive environmental area. That's the premise that the environmentalists use for all of the regulations and restrictions that we already have. They would have us believe that the world is too sensitive of a place for humans to be allowed to inhabit. It must be protected from us at all cost. With that being said, we should not litter, nor leave our styrofoam products laying around.
Other than word placement in a sentence I would say we are in complete agreement. Have a great day

Reactions: awanatech
1 - 13 of 13 Posts