Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun-free zones? Try this on for size: Columbine gun-free zone. New York City pizza shop gun-free zone. Luby's Cafeteria gun-free zone. Virginia Tech University gun-free zone. Conversely, at the Salt Lake City shopping mall, an off-duty police officer with a gun in his belt stopped a violent murderer from killing more innocent victims. A high school student in Springfield, Ore., ran to his pickup and retrieved his .22-caliber squirrel rifle, halting a runaway murderer from turning his school into another Columbine.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... _OPINION06

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can't find any other stories about a squirrel gun being used to stop a rampage at a school. I did find one about a school shooting in Springfield, Oregon in 1998. It said that one kid shot and wounded at least 25 students before he was tackled by other students. It makes no mention of anyone using a gun to stop him.

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mobster989 said:
. . . before he was tackled by other students. It makes no mention of anyone using a gun to stop him.
In The Bias Against Guns, John Lott showed how 98% of the stories used the word "tackled" and did not mention a gun when reporting the Appalachian Law School shootings.

I wonder if this is the same?

I will try to remember to go back and look at it to see if this one is mentioned, too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do remember that shooting at the law school. It wasn't plastered all over the news like the VT shooting, probably because it was stopped for the most part. But also because it had a gun being used to stop a crime.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipland_Kinkel

He left his mother's car outside the school and carried a backpack filled with ammunition. He entered the hallway and fired two shots, one fatally wounding Ben Walker and the other wounding Ryan Atteberry. Kinkel then entered the cafeteria and, walking across the cafeteria, fired the remaining 48 rounds from the 50-round magazine in his rifle, wounding 24 students and killing Mikeal Nicholauson, also a student.

When his rifle ran out of ammunition and Kinkel began to reload, wounded student Jake Ryker tackled Kinkel, who attempted to kill Ryker with the Glock. He only managed to fire one shot before Ryker knocked the gun out of his hand. More students, including Jake's brother Josh, helped restrain Kinkel until the police arrived and arrested him.
Nicholauson died at the scene, and Walker died after being transported to the hospital and kept on life support until his parents arrived. The other students, including Jake Ryker (who was in critical condition) were also taken to the hospital with a variety of wounds.

At the high school, he fired a total of 48 rounds in less than a minute, 38 of them were hits. 47 were .22 bullets from the rifle, and one bullet was from the 9mm Glock.

Ryker and the three other boys were hailed as heroes by some and received awards from the Boy Scouts. [1]

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wiki? :lol:

I'll try to remember to look it up in Lott's book.

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you look up the Wiki entry on the Appalachian Law School shooting, they give "conflicting accounts" of what occurred. Just try to follow the sources on the "he was tackled before he could see the two guns" account. Sometimes, I think Wiki errs by trying to include too many "points of view." I highly recommend John Lott's book, The Bias Against Guns, to anybody interested in the subject. Lott interviewed not only the participants, but the reporters who later lied about it, and their editors. Their responses are interesting, to say the least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts