Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the news coming from Arizona, I've heard a lot of chatter on here about high capacity magazine ban this and that. But, honestly I'm unsure what designates a high capacity magazine. I have a .40 with a 14 round magazine, is that considered a high capacity magazine? What about a 9mm?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Im fairly certain during the AWB it was anything over a 10 rd mag. I say fairly certain because I wasnt old enough to actually remember it. :D

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Tubbith said:
Im fairly certain during the AWB it was anything over a 10 rd mag. I say fairly certain because I wasnt old enough to actually remember it. :D
I am old enough to have suffered through it and you are correct. It banned the manufacture or importation of mags holding more than 10 rounds.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes it was a 10 round limit during the AWB. Unless of course you were a special person. On a side note during the AWB the Army bought crappy mags for the M9. Individual soldiers couldn't buy decent replacements on their own because they didn't qualify to buy full capacity mags. So the next time some gun control advocate starts talking to you about banning standard capacity mags ask them why they are trying to kill our soldiers :sly:

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
10 rounds because only the rounds 11 and up will actually kill....a lot of people don't know that. :roll:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
BSCLibertarian said:
10 rounds because only the rounds 11 and up will actually kill....a lot of people don't know that. :roll:
Yea.

Also please remember to use the correct semantics. 10 round mags are reduced capacity. We are really talking about FULL capacity not high capacity. One of the reasons we had to suffer through this nonsense the first time was because we let the other side frame the argument.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Mags should be the least of everyones concern.

From the AZ Rally:

"We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future"

Maybe the "assumption" that everyone has a right to bear arms?

Maybe the "assumption" that everyone has the right to free speech?

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
A handful of states and locales have capacity limits. Here are ones I am aware of.

10: CA, HI, MA, NY
12: Chicago IL
15: NJ, Aurora IL
20: MD
30: OH

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
seereus said:
Thats basically what the NRA told us during the AWB debate. They were wrong. The correct answer is "Not one more inch." We have given up enough enumerated rights, at this point its time to start taking them back.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
In the old AWB it was 10 rds. Hopefully, if it looks like a new ban is really going to happen we could push the limit up to 15 or maybe even 20 rds.

If I were an anti-gunner instead of aiming at making the limit so low (10 rds.) I'd shoot for 15, 20, or even 30 rds. just to reset a precedent. That would also probably be easier to pass in Congress.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I'm trying to envision a 30 round mag hanging out of the bottom of my 1911 grip...

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
seereus said:

From the AZ Rally:

"We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future"

Maybe the "assumption" that everyone has a right to bear arms?

Maybe the "assumption" that everyone has the right to free speech?
Exactly - I hope a lot of other people picked up on that line.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I think OHIO got their affairs in order 9/2009 if memory serves.

In MASS, full capacity mags are allowed if they were manufactured prior to 9/94. They are very difficult to come by and are priced accordingly when they are available.

·
Swollen Member
11,929 Posts
This thread is really beginning to piss me off! I'm already seeing defeatist language sprouting up by so-called pro-gun, pro-freedom gun owners: "I'm trying to envision a 30 round mag hanging out of the bottom of my 1911 grip...", "Mags should be the least of everyones concern.", "I'd shoot for 15, 20, or even 30 rds."

This is very reminiscent of the '94 Clinton AWB. I'd say half the f*cking gun owners were on board with it! Here were some common statements I heard from gun owners back then:

"If you need more than 10rds, you need more practice."
"I carry a revolver, so it doesn't really affect me."
"All I need is one shot."
"I'll just carry an extra mag, so I don't really care."
"I'll just change from 9mm to 45."

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
The Congresswoman writing this bill wants to make all high capacity mags (anything over 10 rounds) illegal to own, even those you may already own.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
This thread is really beginning to piss me off! I'm already seeing defeatist language sprout up by so-called pro-gun, pro-freedom gun owners: "I'm trying to envision a 30 round mag hanging out of the bottom of my 1911 grip...", "Mags should be the least of everyones concern.", "I'd shoot for 15, 20, or even 30 rds."

This is very reminiscent of the '94 Clinton AWB. I'd say half the f*cking gun owners were on board with it! Here were some common statements I heard from gun owners back then:

Sort of like "I support the second amendment but....."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tmoore912 said:
The Congresswoman writing this bill wants to make all high capacity mags (anything over 10 rounds) illegal to own, even those you may already own.
So, if it hypothetically passed, how would they even begin to collect such magazines? Way too many people own them and it's not like criminals are going to offer them up.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
This thread is really beginning to piss me off! I'm already seeing defeatist language sprout up by so-called pro-gun, pro-freedom gun owners: "I'm trying to envision a 30 round mag hanging out of the bottom of my 1911 grip...", "Mags should be the least of everyones concern.", "I'd shoot for 15, 20, or even 30 rds."

I'm not for banning anything, other than knee-jerk over-reactions and kwikrnu for wasting forum space and slowing our forums down. While I don't have a use for mag that have a capacity greater than 10 rounds, I'm not in favor of banning them as it starts us on the downward slope of 'evaluating reasonable restrictions' and then everyone gets in their head that certain calibers should be banned, certain types of carry, certain barrel lengths, etc. It just doesn't end. In addition, it accomplishes nothing other than proving we didn't learn anything from the prohibition era 90 years ago...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Just remember -- there isn't any jeopardy for Congress critters from NYS/NJ and similar to call for gun control. Their people are already indoctrinated to support such nonsense. For how many other states' Reps and Senators would this also be true? Not that many. It would require more political capital than most are willing to spend to make gun control a campaign issue. As such, most would just rather stay away from gun control because its a losing fight. Also, keep in mind that anyone can introduce a bill, but many never even make it to committee. Just my layman's observation but the sky is not falling. There's just a bunch of people in politics and entertainment that are trying to capitalize on the events in hopes that it'll gain traction and others in the press that are actively attempting to shape the public opinion preemptively, but that's about it. I'll be watching POTUS closely in the following weeks for a sign of a change of course but so far, judging by his words and actions in the wake of Tucson, his people seem to hold this point of view also. At least for now.

For the record, I am not in support of one iota of additional anything relating to gun ownership. Period. OTOH I have also noticed the sentiment to which Jim refers in the comments of more than a few regulars since the tragedy unfolded. :roll: I do know this. It would be best if our side of the issue draws a line in the sand and begin to fire back in the national press. Lots of minds right now are looking for assistance in dissecting a very complex issue. We can't have the voices of the moon-bats be the only ones heard. So far, the only push back has been from Palin. Not good enough. There needs to be an attack on the idea of more gun control and the demonization of firearm along several fronts, similar to the strategy that the pro control people are waging, if we are going to reach the moderate middle.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
ber950 said:
seereus said:
Thats basically what the NRA told us during the AWB debate. They were wrong. The correct answer is "Not one more inch." We have given up enough enumerated rights, at this point its time to start taking them back.
Amen Brother :righton: Now is the time to fight harder to regain the liberties that have been taken away from us. The more concession we make now the harder it will to get them back later. I for one will not back down on this!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts