Hi from Atlanta

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by mls, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mls

mls New Member

Sort of...Atlanta address, but I'm in DeKalb County, not Fulton.

My first gun-love is milsurp rifles. I've been shooting since I was a kid (about 35 years now), and these days I mostly shoot at a gun club in Newton County. I've had my GA permit for a few years now, and my experience getting it was similar to what others have noted here (on the pages noting experiences by county). Everyone was very nice, but the need to visit two different offices in two different parts of the city is a pain in the butt. It took them over an hour to do the digital fingerprints because the officer couldn't figure out how to enter the information in the computer. Then, when she figured it out, she entered my name with an incorrect spelling, and the computer didn't want to accept the rest of the info. Another officer finally came in and, after several tries, managed to figure it all out. They told me the wait was about 90 days, but mine came in in around 60 days.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We are hearing more and more on this board that DeKalb is issuing within the timeline if one submits fingerprints electronically.

Dekalb is also no longer demanding SSN and the presentation of the actual card (sometimes requiring a trip home to get it and returning on another day, missing another day of work).

3. mls

mls New Member

That's good! I wasn't happy about the social security card requirement at all. Fortunately, I knew about it ahead of time (either it was on their recorded messages or someone told me...can't remember), so I was able to get it all done in one day. I was very surprised to have gotten it in under the 90 days, as at the time, others were telling me that's how long it was taking them to get their permits. The LEOs had actually said it could take up to 120 days but would probably arrive in about 90. The waiting was made worse because they botched entering my information, and I spent the waiting period worrying that it wouldn't come at all, though the officer told me that it didn't matter that the last name accompanying my fingerprints was spelled incorrectly.