Hey lawyer-types: I need a divorce attorney referral, please

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Boy Racer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Could someone on here please refer me to a quality divorce attorney, please? We live in Fulton Co., in the corporate limits of Sandy Springs if that matters.

Any before anyone asks, it's not for my current marriage, it's to clean up the loose ends from my beloveds' previous disaster.

PM me your input, if you would.

TIA

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't know any, but good luck getting things squared away (for your marriage? :hopeful:)

3. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

We're trying to get resolved the lingering issues from her previous marriage. We have what we think is an attorney in Woodstock, but we're starting to believe she's little more than an apparition with a receptionist. This has been going on since Feb/Mar, with no action accomplished whatsoever. It's time to fire the ghost and find a new option.

4. budder

We're trying to get resolved the lingering issues from her previous marriage. We have what we think is an attorney in Woodstock, but we're starting to believe she's little more than an apparition with a receptionist. This has been going on since Feb/Mar, with no action accomplished whatsoever. It's time to fire the ghost and find a new option.[/quote:2og5dqrk]
    Well, when you said current marriage, I didn't know if you meant forthcoming or already-past :)

Again, good luck!

5. tace

tace New Member

Finding a competent lawyer who wouldn't charge an absurd amount for just filling out paper work was the toughest part of my divorce. I think I can get a referral to a good one but I believe he works for something like a $5K retainer + a steep hourly rate. I can also ask one of my many lawyer neighbors to see if any of them have recommendations. I’ll get back to you with those tomorrow, if you wish.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

How about The Sledgehammer :copyright: ? :wink:

7. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Yeah, we gave this one we have now $2500 over 5 months ago and have had basically no contact with her since. As far as I know all wee did was fill the coffers for her trip to Hawaii two weeks ago.

We're senselessly hemorrhaging money at a time when we badly need to be saving the most we can, and we need a court action to stop this bleeding.

We needed it 5 months ago, but by now I'm totally fed up with pissing away any more money.

Please forward to me anything you may have whenever you're able. Thanks.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

All I know is that your avatar is making me thirsty.

9. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Doug King

http://www.gabar.org/directories/member ... d=MTQxMjA3

Mr. Michael Douglas King II
    Company: The Law Offices of M. Douglas King II
    Address:
    1750 Powder Springs Road, Suite 190
    PMB 315
    Marietta, GA 30064-4861
    Phone: 404-790-7345
    Fax: 404-474-7377
    Email: kinglawoffice@yahoo.com
    Admit Date: 11/04/2004
    Law School: Emory University

He is a member of GCO and posts often at AR15.com in the georgia hometown forum. He has helped several of the ARFCOMers fix their lives.

Tell him you are a GCO member .... I don't know if that will get a discount but at least he'll answer your calls.

10. budder

I'm pretty sure he only does nonprofit stuff. If he isn't available, I'm currently using Baker Donelson's services for a business-related case. I don't know if they do divorce, but I've been very happy with my attorneys.

11. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

When i went thru my divorce I called a friend of mine who left domestic law and asked him who he would hire. You might see if he is still in Marietta. His name is Jeff Hamby. He was good enough to get me custody of both my boys, one of which was only 18 months old at the time. The last time I talked to him was almost 6 years ago.

Chris

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

No, no.

He assure you he is a for profit enterprise. :wink:

13. merlock

merlock New Member

:rotfl2:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Hey lawyer-types: I need a divorce attorney referral, pl

I am not ignoring you. I do not know any.

15. budder

:p

16. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

What does a person do when a lawyer at a law firm leaves the firm to head out on her own, but leaves your case (her case while at the old firm) in a file on the desk and doesn't bother to tell the firm -or you, the client- about the status (or existence) of the case?

We called the firm today, again, and finally got hold of a warm body who we clearly surprised with our existence. They found our dusty file on a dusty desk in a dark office down the hall and are trying to see what they can do for or about us.

Does a regular person have any recourse when they get screwed by lawyer incompetence?

17. Malum Prohibitum

I can only speak generally, but there are are obligations of both the firm and the attorney to represent you until they withdraw. If there was an actual court case, then they need the court's permission to withdraw. That is all I can say on this issue for now.

18. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

You mentioned paperwork... If there are routine motions involved, have you considered hiring a paralegal to teach you the basic process / write up paperwork?

Of course you can try:

HandelOnTheLaw.com

19. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

The wife calls about every 10-14 days begging to speak with an attorney for status updates on her case. Since the beginning of the year, the law firm will no longer accept calls from her. Three weeks worth of voice mails have gone unanswered, and she hasn't spoken to a live body other than the receptionist/gate-keeper in well over a month. We have seen no further progress on the case (in fact, to our knowledge there has been no progress at all in 10 months now). The secretary will not connect my wife to either Darrin Burns (supposedly her lawyer taking care of the case) or his paralegal Drew Bishop for any reason.

Since this action was initiated last March, her estranged has transferred an outstanding debt of his to her under false pretenses, declared bankruptcy, had two bankruptcy hearings at which we had no representation and has fallen ridiculously behind on paying his child support. He did find the time to buy a new-to-him Ford F-150 XLT. :roll: Now GWB's gonna give him another $900 because he continues to claim one of his children on his tax returns. And this law firm's been sleeping through this for almost a year. Now we want to buy a house and are in a worse condition for lending than we would have been had we been able to handle it.

Would it be harassment on my part if I initiated a telephone call-in campaign from every able-bodied man, woman and child to call either Darrin or Drew and ask them why they've stolen our earnest money, failed to deliver a result (hell, any result) and won't take our calls? 770-956-1400. :evil: :evil:

[edit]I forgot to mention, the original woman lawyer who left us high and dry in the first place is Parri S. Abbott.[/edit]

20. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Boy Racer,

If you go to the GA Supreme Court website andn look at their published opinions, you will see a great many notations of lawyer discipline for things like what you have described. Ignoring a paying client for long periods will not go over well. I would call and attempt to set up an appointment with a remaining partner in the firm in the next week. If they will not offer you one, announce that you will be there at x hour on y day to see someone knowledgeable about your case. Assure them that you will be filing a complaint with the bar should this meeting prove fruitless. That should get some action. If it does not, proceed to file your complaint.