Hey G26/7 fans...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Breadfan63, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

I've been kicking around the idea of a getting a subcompact Glock. Currently, I own a G22 and the magazine compatibility with the 27 is definitely a plus on the 27 side; however, it seems that everyone prefers the 26. I grabbed a 27 at the range last night to try out, and ofcourse all their mags have +1 or +2 extensions on them. Bummer, I really wanted to try it out without any modifications (ya know, they way it would be if I actually bought it). The gun wouldnt feed with that damn thing on there anyway. I popped my 15 round G22 mag in and what do ya know, it shot 15 times.

Anyway, I sort of got off topic there...What are some of the reasons that made you guys go with the 26 or the 27? I'll rent a 26 and 27 back to back next time out at the range, but I didnt have an 9mm ammo with me last night. So let's hear it. I know there are some Glock subby shooters on this board....

~werd to yo muthaz~

Wade

2. modestglock26

modestglock26 New Member

I like the 26 a lot. I like that it takes the mags my 19 takes. I use the 26 as my main carry gun. I keep a standard 10 round mag in it, and I keep two extra 17 round mags on me. I like knowing if I wanted to I could duct tape a G18 mag to my leg and not only would it work in my 26, but I might get a few girls on the side... :p

3. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

So you chose on the basis of magazine compatibility? That is why I was leaning toward the 27 myself, but the G18 mag and the ladies on the side thing is appealing to a single 26 yr old male like myself. :D Reading these forums and the ones over at GT it seems the 26 makes more sense, and I'm always open to hear both sides. I'd love to have a nice 9mm to take with me to the range, but when I think 9mm range gun...I think Browning Hi Power. Recoil isnt a problem although I can see 9mm allowing faster followup shots.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I just sold my G26 but it was a great pistol. It was extremely accurate. I prefer 9mm, especially in the sub-compact. IMO it is easier to shoot in the sub frame than .40, also offers more magazine capacity. I had the +2 extender with the pinky grab thing which gave me 12+1 capacity in a really small package. I replaced it with a G19 which is still extremely easy to conceal. I would have kept the G26 but already have a G30 (sub- .45) which is my normal EDC. The new G19 is likely going to replace the G30 as my EDC. (No, I won't be selling the G30.) If anyone wants one, PM MrMorden.

If you want to see how a novice can shoot with a G26 see this thread. I took my wife shooting recently for the first time. You can compare her targets at 7 yards to those she shot from my 226.

5. VolGrad

I wouldn't buy a G26 for a range gun. IMO it makes a great CC gun and does great on the range, however, if I am buying something with it being a range gun I would lean toward a G19, G17, or Sig 226. The G19 might actually fit your bill a little better. It is great for the range and CC easily too. I truly didn't believe it would conceal as easily as it does until I tried.

6. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I have a 33 and it is a handful. My last trip to the range I shot a 26 and my 33 at two different targets. (Not at the same time) and I was able to shoot the 26 better due to the additional recoil of the 33. I'll assume the 27 would fall between the two.

I'd say shoot them both and pick which ever one you are more comfortable with. If the same, then I'd say a 27 to go with your 22. Same ammo and magazine compatibility is a plus.

7. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I like my 26 and picked it for the following reasons:
    Size for CC
    Caliber - decent quantity of a decent round. A good 9mm with a well placed shot is effective.
    Recoil - small package, if the recoil is lighter I am more apt to place the shot more accurately which I feel is more important than a slightly larger caliber.
    Reliability - Its a Glock, it will always go bang, it isn't finicky about ammo, it won't worry about lint, etc. from being a carry gun.

I like my G32 in .357sig but I have fired GunNut's G33 a few times and don't like the reduced capacity and the increased recoil.

8. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

I definitely dont want the G26 to be a range gun (though I'll shoot it a lot to make sure I am defensively accurate with it). I want a Hi Power for a range gun. I considered the G19/23, but I figured I might as well get the shorter grip of the 26/7 because that's what makes my G22 a little more difficult to conceal. I got my K&D Cochise defender in the mail yesterday, and I wore it around all day. It's definitely doable to conceal a G22 in it, as I dont really wear tight fitting clothes, but I tried the 27 rental in it at the range and it was a bit more comfortable. Ideally, I will own a 19/23 frame down the line as well. I really dont like selling my stuff, so I will keep adding to my collection.

Well, I guess we'll find out this weekend which one I'm better with. 2 targets, same distance, whichever I shoot better will be the one that I put on the short list. I just wish the range would rent them without the finger extension. Thanks guys.

9. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I am a new owner of a G26. I have had mine for about a month and been to the range 3 times with it and pumped about 1200 rounds through it already. Not one issue at all and within a few mags I was holding small groups.

I purchased it because I wanted a smaller gun that was reliable, held larger magazines if I wanted to as modestglock26 pointed out, and had a million accessories available for a good price.

The 9mm part was because I shoot 9mm well. I like the reciol for the size of the gun. I believe your carry gun should always be shot everytime I go to the range. I want my carry gun to be the most accurate gun I shoot as it will serve as a defensive gun.

Get a 26 you wont regret it!

10. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Whoa! 1200 rounds is a lot for 3 range visits. I typically shoot between 150 and 200 through 2 of my firearms each time out and Dad will usually put about that same amount through his 1911. My S&W 686 has helped me with controlling recoil on the glocks big time. I have some snap caps and I just practice like crazy to eliminate flinching. I wish I were as accurate with my Glocks as I am with my 686. I was thinking of getting a J Frame (442) for carry as well, due to the size. I doubt I would be able to shoot it really well at any kind of distance, but I guess that's not what they're really made for. I'm kinda spoiled by my 686 trigger anyway.

I guess I'll shoot them both and if a deal comes up on either one, that'll make the decision for me. Thanks guys.

Anyone have a G26 or 27 (without a +1 or +2 magazine on it) that shoots at American Classic? If so, I'd love to meet up. I dont have anything crazy to let ya try, but that Smith I was talking about earlier is a joy to shoot.

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Yeah I wanted to get a good feel for the gun quickly. Not to mention it was girls night out and I was on my own!

12. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Another vote for the 26 here. Good for concealment, flexible with magazines, very manageable recoil even with gold dots, and pretty accurate (and I'm not a great shot). I don't think you'll regret buying one!

13. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

G26 is a great choice.

I think the G27 is a better choice.

Of course, the G33 was the best choice I ever made.

14. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Cool. Any particular reasoning? Do you just like that particular round better than the rest?

15. modestglock26

modestglock26 New Member

The G26 isn't a range gun at all. I like the thought of having a higher capacity firearm. I shoot .40sw very well and like the round...but I have enough confidence in the 9mm and the fact that my follow up shots are not compromised at all. If I can rapid fire and get the rounds to hit where I want them to, I am a happy guy.

The G26 is a great carry gun. I carry mine where I can. I just got some holsters from GunNut that help out alot. The Blade Tech IWB makes it go byebye and I am a small guy who doesn't wear size XXX shirts/pants.

If I could afford to I would get the G27 and G29. All are great to carry and all have pretty nice capacity. I'm just oo broke to fit new calibers into my game.

For now...

16. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

The G27 is my daily carry weapon. It took a lot of practice and some training from Firearmz for me to become accurate with it. I chose the G27 over the G26 because I felt the .40 round was more effective than 9mm. Now after a little studying and time on this board, I tend to put more stock in shot placement than bullet size. I'm still very satisfied with my G27 as I have become very accustomed to it. If I had to do it all over again, I'll probably go with G26 because of ammo cost and availability of GLOCK 9mm mags. I have G22 as HD handgun and I plan on getting a G26 for my wife, and G19 just because. :lol:

17. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

I'm just a really big fan of the 357SIG round (and a huge Glock homer).

A 22# recoil spring makes recoil very manageble and I like the flat-shooting round and higher velocity you can get from a short barrelled gun.

It all boils down to personal preference. I am in rural environs most of the time, but if I were in town alot I might opt for the G26 due to higher capacity.

18. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Agreed. I'm trying to take in as many opinions as I can. When it comes time to shoot them back to back, I can use everyone's $.02 to really help me decide what's right for me. I dont think the mag compatibility really should be the seller, which is the way I was leaning...so I made this thread. Thanks a lot to everyone who has taken the time to answer it. I dont think I'll make the purchase right away, but probably pretty early 08. I only bought one gun this year (and it's a KEEPER), but with Christmas coming up and car insurance due the 4th of January....I'm going to have to put it off.

19. VolGrad

My recommendation - RUN while you still can. STOP reading this forum immediately. You will become infected and will start making irrational purchases and finding ways to justify them.

It is already too late for me. Go, save yourself.

20. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

I noticed that. Seems like you've always got something for sale too. I'm in love with firearms, but I cant spend money I dont have. I'd also like to pick up a new guitar at some point in 08. Anybody on here have a well paying position open? :D