Hey from Acworth (Cherokee county side)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by pro2am, Jul 17, 2006.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I've been lurking for awhile now, maybe two weeks, and thought I'd join. I currently do not have any pistols (haven't even shot one), but I'm interesting in learning all I can before buying one. I'm planning on applying for my GFL next week, whether I use it or not.

When I first started researching pistols I was drawn to the XD45 ACP, probably because of the advertising hype. A few of the boards (packing.org; and XDtalk) have high praise for the XD in general. I'm not sure if the 45 is too much for a newbee though. My intention is to use it for home protection primarily and not necessarily a carry weapon. Could get costly to get proficient on the range with ammunition though. I understand it cost much more than say 9mm.

What a great country we live in!

See y'all later.

2. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Glad you have joined us. Learning and thought, prior to and as a predicate for action is a great plan. For unsolicited advice, the XD45 is probably not the start for a beginner. Springfield certainly makes a fine product. For beginning carry, I suggest the simplicity, reliability, concealability, and intuitive function of a revolver, probably .38 spl or .357

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:

Yes - There is no reason to wait to apply, especially given the lead times lately. You would not wait to by a car before getting a driver's license, either!

:D

Speaking of which, did you read this? http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794 You might want to prior to applying . . .

:wink:

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Or, you may wish to see how the case turns out, if you have an interest in not having to reveal your SSN when applying.

If you've never shot a handgun, you might try going to a range that rents guns and telling them you are interested in learning how to shoot and in trying different guns. Gun rental prices tend to be fairly low, and I know of one range in the area that lets you try as many guns as you like for a single $5 charge. That's a great way to try many different styles, calibers, and manufacturers.

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the feedback and suggestions for a pistol. I like the thought of trying one out on a range before buying. Can you tell me what range you are referring to in the area? Feel free to send me a PM if it's inappropriate to post these things.

When it comes down to it, if the clerk asks for a SS# and she "needs" it to enter the rest of the data, I'll probably give it to her/him. I have reservations, but when faced with only two choices (no GFL/ yes GFL), I'll make that decision.

I did read that post on SS# by the way. This forum has really gotten me up to speed on a lot of issues regarding GFL.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The range I had in mind was American Classic Marksman in Norcross. But, you have a couple ranges much closer to you in Acworth. I'd give them a call to see what their rental situation is before treking over the Peachtree Industrial.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I know of a couple ranges in the Woodstock/Marietta area that I'll call. I work at Windy Hill/I-75, so Norcross isn't out of the question for after work, if they have evening hours. I'll give them a call too. Thanks.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm on the Cherokee side of Acworth too!

Both Pannell's in Woodstock and Ed's Guns in Marietta have rental pistols. Ed's has a wider selection.

I've got a H&K USP .40 and a Taurus 85 you can test drive too.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Hey, how's that for an offer?

10. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Welcome and I second what he says....Pannel's has been pretty good about try before ya buy and so has Ed's....

BTW, I'm in the Cobb portion of Acworth....We seem to have a heavily armed city don't we..LOL....Just tryin to keep up with our Kennesaw neighbors....

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

That is a good offer! I need to make it over to Pannell's. I know exactly where it is but I've never stopped. I think Ed's is over by Canton and Piedmont?

I was a little surprised to hear about Kennesaw's "must own" law, but it does sound like Acworth is catching up, like it or not. On another subject, I've probably bumped into one or more of you guys before. I was reading the thread about the "incident" at the Publix on Baker. I shop there all the time. You all must conceal pretty good, I've never noticed anyone carrying in public. (of course I'm a novice too)

Great forum. Thanks for all the comments and welcome.