Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Herschel Walker for Senate

12K views 212 replies 28 participants last post by  OWM 
#1 ·
So, Herschel Walker Announced he is running for the U.S. Senate from Georgia.
To challenge Sen. Reverend Warnock.
The news (WSB) said his platform and position on the issues are unknown, other than he was a Trump supporter.

I think we in the gun activist community should find out his position on gun control, and if he hasn't committed to any firm positions yet, to have folks from Georgia Carry.org talk with him and help shape his campaign platform as to gun rights.

Reactions: Phil1979
#2 ·

Reactions: Motopackin
#3 ·
Herschel is not a dumb jock.

He was valedictorian of his high school class, and while he was playing pro football he did go back and finish his college degree at UGA --- in Criminal Justice

Reactions: TimBob
#36 ·
2 Walker falsely claimed he graduated from the University of Georgia

In December 2021, Walker's campaign website alleged that the former athlete graduated from the University of Georgia, which he actually left during his junior year to play football professionally. However, that claim was shortly removed from the campaign's website after the Journal-Constitution inquired about its veracity.
. . .

As he stated in a 2017 speech, "And all of sudden I started going to the library, getting books, standing in front of a mirror reading to myself. So that Herschel that all the kids said was retarded become valedictorian of his class. Graduated University of Georgia in the top 1% of his class."

Likewise, in a promotional bio for his 2008 book, Walker claimed to have "finished his Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice at the University of Georgia."

#5 ·
He'll have problems on the 2A front. Former NFL star Herschel Walker shares his struggle with mental illness

"I grabbed my gun, put it in my holster and said, 'I'm fixin' to kill him,'" Walker told his audience last week. He tried to talk himself out of following through with his plan, but found himself on the losing side of an inner conflict. "'People need to quit disrespecting you like this, Herschel,'" . . .​

#6 ·
Is there going to be a primary first this time? Or are they just going to toss everyone into the mix and hope for the best. I ended up with a democrat State rep because of the lack of a primary. My choice was none of the above or democrat 1 or democrat 2. I chose none of the above. There was 8 republicans and only 4 democrats IIRC.

#7 ·
I am a bit suspicious when CNN, MSNBC, and their ilk warn me that a popular Republican candidate may have electability issues. After all, we are well acquainted with their strict adherence to the truth and how much they are concerned about the success of the Republican party.

#8 ·
I think we in the gun activist community should find out his position on gun control, and if he hasn't committed to any firm positions yet, to have folks from Georgia Carry.org talk with him and help shape his campaign platform as to gun rights.
Do you think this should happen for all candidates, or all conservative candidates, or all Republican candidates, or just for Walker?

#10 ·
All viable candidates. Those that have an immense campaign war chest, or extremely high name recognition and familiarity with the voters, or for whatever other reason seem to be a promising candidate who Will run a strong campaign.

I wouldn't do it for just anybody who announces their tossing their hat in the ring.

I also wouldn't do it for somebody who's position on the Second Amendment is well developed and widely known, and likely entrenched, in which case all we should do is disseminate the information to the gun-owning public. (Not help shape the candidate's position.)

#11 ·
Correction: I don't know if I would advocate doing it for a strong and viable candidate on the Democrat side. I might just assume that all Democrats are anti-gun because that's been their national party's platform for all of recent history all of my lifetime.

ON THE OTHER HAND...
, if reaching out to Democrats might cause them to soften their position on at least some facets of the gun rights debate and cause them to lose faith in some of their arguments that they used to cite in favor of gun control, then that would be beneficial,

even if we can't use that slight change of position to endorse them in their race.

#12 ·
When trying to carry over popularity (electability) from one arena (sports) into another (politics), it's mixed bag. I remember when NASCAR legend, 'The King' Richard Petty, ran for NC Secretary of State as a Republican in the 90s. EVERYONE just knew he would take it in a walk. He was a lock, no problem, right? I mean, who in North Carolina didn't love Richard Petty? He lost....badly. it soured him on seeking political office, he's never ran again. I'm a huge Dawg fan, love Herschel (one of my childhood heroes), but I agree with others who say this is exactly the candidate Team Warnock wants to run against. He has issues that the 'Good Reverend' will have no qualms about exploiting.

#13 ·
Well, Herschel Walker's refusal to debate any of his opponents in the primary indicated to me that he really is a dumb jock and perhaps his status as valedictorian in high school was a bone they threw him out of pity, or as a reward for doing well on the football field.

And now his opponents are using a video clip from 2020 where he was pitching some type of magical anti-Covid spray a dry mist whatever the hell that is that cleans Covid-19
off your body. Snake oil.

Well, he is the GOP's candidate for US Senate, so I hope some gun rights groups are working with him to teach him how to be an intelligent and informed advocate for our position.

But at this point I don't think he's got much of a chance in the general election.

#19 · (Edited)
The sudden focus on gun control following a recent massacre at a Texas elementary school is throwing an unexpected snag into Georgia’s U.S. Senate campaign. Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock is a co-sponsor of a new proposal in the Senate seeking a ban on semiautomatic weapons, such as AR-15 rifles, but he hasn’t been advertising that fact. Republican Herschel Walker has struggled to articulate any position at all in the wake of the shooting.

It’s a sign of how tricky the issue is in Georgia, a state that has traditionally embraced strong support for gun rights but where political winds are shifting as the state has shifted more Democratic.

-and-

Yeah, read that one.

This is, quite literally, the worst choice for an election for Senator with which I have ever been tasked. I see one really, really bad choice and another really bad choice as the only likely winners (no, I don't think the Libertarian can win).

I have no idea what is wrong with Georgia Republicans in 2022, but something is very, very wrong. They have made the odds very high that Warnock gets re-elected. Even if by some miracle Herchel Walker gets elected, you know, and gets to see it and everything and stuff, and manages to succeed on his grand vision, then what we get is a new federal department, "a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at social media." The DTCLYMTLAWTLASM agents will be investigating everything and stuff.

This was a stupid choice, any way you look at it.

Republicans have set themselves up for failure.

This is stupid sports and celebrity worship among the dumb masses of Republicans, and an idiotic thought that the color of his skin is somehow a major qualification for office. Affirmative action, Georgia Republican style.

#20 ·
I think Gun control will fade as an issue for the general public by election time. Fuel prices and the resulting system-wide inflation will be the dominant narrative, at least among the populace if not the chattering class. "It's the economy, stupid" will dominate, despite the media trying desperately to focus people's attention on anything else. Herschel's advantage is the (R) next to his name. Warnock will be dealing with the millstone named "Joe Biden" and likely won't overcome that.

#21 ·
I agree as long as do-somethingism doesn’t enact a ban prior. Neither the economy tanking nor enacting a gun ban will favor the Democrats in November. As Georgia hosts both battery and EV production, $4/gallon for gasoline isn’t going to mess up the state horribly.

If there is no ban, unemployment remains low, and current prices are accepted as the new normal by then there will be endless robocalls and texts all fall but the likely result will be Warnock.

#22 ·
AJC pulls out its daggers and stabs Herschel Walker--- using his own stupidity and recklessness with regard to the truth against him.
The communist media such as the AJC would not do this type of investigative journalism on a communist leaning candidate, but for anybody seen on the conservative side of the aisle they'll do everything they can to trash that candidate.

Tie News Suit Adaptation Collar

PS: It's a legitimate concern when people who are now candidates for high political office are caught in a lie-- even a past lie.

However the media should be equal in the treatment of all candidates in this regard.
Joe Biden told far bigger lies all through his entire political career.

#23 ·
P.S. I didn't read the article and it's hidden behind a pay wall, but Herschel probably has or HAD some affiliation / connection with law-enforcement, because he does have a criminal justice degree, and in order to get that degree he probably had to do some ride along's or other type of field work with law-enforcement. An internship or something.

Also, as a celebrity ex jock and businessman he might've been given an "honorary law enforcement" badge from some agency and that might explain why he said what he said about having been in law enforcement.

#24 · (Edited)
This skeleton in Walker's closet
is harder to explain away:

Clarification: This anti-Herschel ad does not say that Herschel himself was charged by federal prosecutors, but it implies that the organization he founded and served as leader and spokesperson for (Patriot Support) defrauded the federal government. But I can't even find any confirmation of that on Google searches.)

(It looks like there was a civil suit, a lawsuit by the government against a major healthcare provider seeking reimbursement for, among other things, veterans mental health care that was facilitated by Herschel's program. The lawsuit was not a criminal matter, and it was settled out of court for $120 million to be paid to the government (several states too.))

#27 ·
The problem is that either Warnock or Walker will be going to DC as one of Georgia's Senators. Since those are the only 2 horses in the race I'll vote Walker. We already know what damage Warnock has done and will do in the near future. I would rather have the unknown than face more of the devastation we have already seen from Warnock.

#29 ·
#30 ·
Apparently he's some woman's "babydaddy --no relationship with the woman or the kid,
but he pays child support!

Well if this were a real problem half the politicians would not be in office. The real problem is Gary Black should have gotten the nod but we are stuck with a football player. Either way Walker will be a better Senator than Warnock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.