heres a question for you.....

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by luke0927, Mar 26, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

regarding WMA's

So im leaving this week to do some Turkey hunting before trout season opens on Saturday.... i will be on WMA in North GA.....Turkey season is open so i can legaly have shotgun...now say saturday i want to carry my pistol under my wadders....would this be legal since is its not a weapon used for a game that is in season i doubt it?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

It is unlawful to posses a firearm in any closed season on a WMA. If there is no open season for the taking of game that would alow use of your sidearm, and there currently is none, then the carry of that weapon is not lawfull. Futrthermore, you can not posses a loaded weapon in your vehicle. This all comes from the 2007 regulations guide put out by the DNR. You can access it online at thier website.

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Exactly what i thought........looks like i can just carry my 12 gague over my shoulder with a rod in my other hand LOL :D

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Is it illegal to hunt turkey with a pistol? I agree it might be kinda stupid but is it illegal? Never hunted anything but squirrels, quail & dove so I have no clue.

5. USMC - Retired

In Georgia turkey can only be hunted with shotguns using number 2 sized shot or smaller or any muzzleloading firearm. Hmmmm... I guess by the letter of the law then you would be legal to carry a cap and ball revolver....

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

7. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Yep Bow and arrow or Shotgun...and no you cant use slugs!!!!! as the damn things are hard enought to kill anyway you want as much lead flying at them as possible....i have a few freinds that have taken them with a Bow...the new pop up ground blinds have made it easier but it is no simple task they can see 260 degree's and they pick up the slightest movements.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I was wondering when someone else would notice this little quirk in GA hunting laws. Now if someone would make a snub nose cap and ball :wink:

9. USMC - Retired

Houw about these? A bit underpowered though....

This has more power but is not exactly what you would normally think of as a pocket gun.....

10. Wiley

Wiley New Member

You don't need a shotgun. Here's what you need.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The game laws require a .44 or larger. I don't have the funds but I thought about converting an Charter Bulldog.

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Huh. I've run into them on several occassions when running cross country. I've found singles & small flocks. It never seemed like it would be too big a deal to take on with a good .22 I guess it's one of those things - see stuff all the time when you are not looking for it, but when you went purposefully hunting them you'd never find em.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I knew a guy that nailed one with a .243 from about 150 yards out. It was illegal as hell but he was on his own farm and never was one to let the law tell him what kind of animal he could hunt, and by what means he could harvest it! :twisted: