Here’s Why I Fought to Bring [Guns] Onto My College Campus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by apx_31088, Aug 19, 2016.

1. apx_31088

apx_31088 Member

[FONT=&quot]Note: This article, written by a young black woman, addresses every issue against campus carry and then she shows how time has shown each issue to be unsubstantiated! My conclusion is that it's an act of violence against college students to prohibit campus carry.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I Grew Up In A Home Without Guns. Here’s Why I Fought to Bring Them Onto My College Campus.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It frustrates me that so many of my peers and professors have reacted so negatively.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]by Antonia Okafor [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]· @antonia_okafor[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]·July 30, 2016[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I did not grow up around guns. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In fact, I was raised by a single mother who despised guns, in Carrollton, Texas, a relatively peaceful suburb of Dallas.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In grad school, my views evolved. I began to learn more about the prevalence of campus sexual assault in America, and I would sometimes leave class at 10 p.m., only to later hear about an assault on campus that night. I was sick of feeling like a potential victim. I had always been an advocate for providing a means of empowering women and I believe that self-defense is one of those tools. But it wasn’t until I was cyber-stalked that the issue really became real for me. A personal firearms trainer I knew then took me under his wing and began teaching me how to defend myself. Just as I should be prepared in case I ever have to put out a kitchen fire or perform the Heimlich maneuver, I thought I should be prepared in case I ever had to defend myself with a gun. [/FONT]
    . . .​

* Edited by a moderator to prevent copyright violation

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

3. Don27

Don27 Member

[FONT=&quot]"just like you make good judgments when you drive a car — you should be able to practice self defense. But you can also lose that privilege, just like any other."

[FONT=&quot]So close..........[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Very good opinion piece by this young lady. Impressive. I'm glad she's on our side.

5. apx_31088

apx_31088 Member

Today I forgot to cite! Didn't get the article from thetrace.org, but, nevertheless, your link does show the article in its entirety.

She describes all the good points (and the good results) of campus carry more coherently than anything else I've read about the subject.

6. Nemo

The Trace was the first place I found it and complete form your post. I figured it was where you got it. Either way, excellent article and good on ya for bringing it over.

They scream about plagiarism/copyright here but I think a fair use is applicable. But their place, their rules. even if they are wrong, imho

Nemo

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

"Fair use" isn't permission to do anything you want with someone else's intellectual property.

The big-picture goal is to let those that own the protected works still make a profit off them, while allowing a limited use by sone others for specific purposes that have a recognized benefit to society.

Copying an entire article kills the marketability of the work and erases any need for people to go to the owner's site-- or a site that paid the owner a fee to host the works.

8. Nemo

We will agree to disagree. I think you are in error and you think I am.

But like I said, their place, their rules.

Nemo

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.