Henry County - Permit arrived - 109 days

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Cacique500, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Cacique500

Cacique500 New Member

Applied - April 3, 2006. Received July 22, 2006.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but I contacted my State Representative early last week and politely requested he look into the whole probate court / permit process / 60 day requirement. Wrote him a very detailed email, quoted GA code, and how the probate court was not following the letter of the law.

He told me if I didn't receive my permit within 5 business days to call him back. Lo and behold, it arrived within the 5 business days.

He's also mentioned that he will look into the issue during the next session - he couldn't believe the law stated 60 days (with the words SHALL ISSUE) and the court was taking twice that amount of time and sometimes more.

Kudos to Rep. Watson!

2. choppahead

choppahead New Member

Could you post a copy of the letter you sent. I too am in Henry Co. and am going on day 76. I spoke with the clerk at the Probate Court today and was told it could take up to 6 months. That ''the Judge was not issuing until all the reports are in''. When I read her the Georgia code that states that no reports are required and that the Judge shall issue if no disqualifiers are found within 60 days. I was told that she wasn't going to argue about it and that she would have a supervisor call me tomorrow. If you wouldn't mind posting a copy of the letter that worked for you, I would like to use it for a template for my own letter.

Thanks,
    Choppa

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Choppa, are you a member of GCO?

They have litigation going on right now against the Henry County Probate Judge, including the 60-day issue.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A better link.