Henry County 96 days and no GFL.

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by flacmonkey, Dec 14, 2006.

1. flacmonkey

flacmonkey New Member

I applied for a GFL 96 days ago and have been getting the usual excuses: AG's unofficial opinion, GBI backlog, even had a clerk make up a GA code section that forbade the judge from issuing without a complete background check. :roll:

Today I found out about the ORI # on this forum. http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1463

So, today I called the probate court to check the status of my GFL again. The clerk gives me the usual story, it's not back yet, 15week GBI backlog, etc. So after the she gives me the run around, I asked for my ORI #, the clerk hesitated, then told me I would have speak to her supervisor. The supervisor gets on the line, I tell her I would like my ORI #. She gets real quiet for a moment and says she needs me to hold for a moment. After a minute she gets back on the line and says, "What was your question again?", I tell her again, she asks for my name again, I give it to her again. Now she shuffles through some papers and says, " Oh, I have your background check and application back from the GBI. Your permit should be sent out to you next week." :shock:

Moral of the story:
    If you are still waiting for your GFL in Henry call and ask for your ORI # and see what their they say. I'll bet they have all background checks back a couple of weeks after the date of application. They just take their sweet time issuing the GFLs.

BTW, I am new to the forum and just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. The information that you all provide is invaluable.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:woohoo:

Henry County, huh?

Good job, and way to stick up for yourself.

Um, lady, how about sending it out now since you (1) are more than a month overdue according to the statute, and (2) lied to me? Is that fair? You send it out to make up for lying to me and issuing it more than 5 weeks late?

Hello?

:D

Congratulations on getting to the bottom of it!

3. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Does the ORI number indicate a specific action for a specific person or is it just an "office symbol" or designator for the court?

4. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Yes, I know, but the original post said "your" and "my" ORI number. The number really just identifies the probate office and not my specific GFL application correct?

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I believe it is a unique number, assigned by the originating agency. If you find it out, you can call GBI and say, "what is the status of your processing the background check for this ORI?"

6. Malum Prohibitum

Well, if you know, then why did you ask? :lol: No, it does not identify your specific application, but it gives them enough information to respond to your question. While they may have 30,000 requests pending, how many of them are firearms license applications with Macon County Sheriff's Department's or Marshallville Police Department's ORI? Two, three? They ought to be able to find your name with the ORI.

Here is one I do NOT know. Can the probate court even get an ORI? I thought this would be the ORI of the agency doing the fingerprinting. Is this not correct?

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well it is either that they have their own number or they have the local agency route the replys straight back to the court instead of the local agency processing it.

Whatever it is, the court should know the number.

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Smarty pants #-o

9. Malum Prohibitum

Doesn't the statute say something about the local agency conducting the background check and then reporting to the probate court judge within 50 days but that no report is required if no derogatory information is found, and doesn't the statute say nothing about the judge ever getting the actual physical background check paper from NICS or GCIC or NCIC or did I just imagine that?

:D

Am I :screwy: for imagining such things?

10. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

My Captain sends the sheet back to the Probate Court with a "go" or "no-go" block checked, "no-go" gets an explaination for the Judge, the decision is ultimately his. We have so few "no-go's", I am not sure what the number is, but they are rare.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Well, Sheriff, that is the way it is supposed to be performed, and there are 50 days in which to do it. I get the feeling a LOT of things are performed corectly in Oconee County! But you might have seen on other threads that many of the probate courts are not doing it that way. For a more specific example, see the pleadings in the 60 day case, where the probate judge argued that she does the checks directly herself just because . . . she has always done it that way . . . and 125 days is just par for the course . . .

And she is not, by any stretch of the imagination, an isolated case.

12. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I know. I hate reading these things to tell you the truth. I wish they were not true.

13. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

I called Dawson county probate agian today-my 4th call- asking about my license. 92 days and counting since my application. Asked for the ORI #, clerk tells me she cant give it to me over the phone--BS--emailed my state rep. I have carried a rifle in 8 countries on 3 different continents,now I cant carry in my own home town!! This has got to stop!!

14. Malum Prohibitum

:lol: Not unless you have a Top Secret security clearance, huh? :lol:

:rotfl:

This stuff is public information. It is on the police reports that are released to the public all the time!

:lol:

15. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Then why do the run-around. MP you might like to know what the clerk said about the time line . ( we are getting licenses back from sept. and oct. applications) sounds like -- batching--- what do you think?

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

our ORI number is GA1080000
    ORI numbers for Sheriffs Offices in Georgia are determined by number of the county alphabetically. For example, Oconee is the 108th county in alphabetical order, so our ORI number is GA1080000.
    I am looking for a complete list for all Georgia ORI numbers. Soon as I find it I will post it.
    Police and Court ORI numbers will have the same State/County prefix, but will not end in 0000. State agencies have different numbers, as do Federal agencies. I bet if you call the Sheriff's Office that fingerprinted you they will be glad to give you the ORI number.

18. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Thanks sheriff. Sometimes I think the court tells me things like that just to get rid of me. Frustrating!!