HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

How do I get the drive label for a compter drive that I'm trying to reformat?

I have an old computer that I want to sell at my yard sale in th emorning. When I go to run, enter "format c:" it asks for the drive label for drive C

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You can make one up. It's not something that was already on there, necessarily. You can leave it blank if you want to. The drive label shows up with the drive letter in "My Computer", etc.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd do several formats. Or try some drive shredder-type software. Format that way doesn't necessarily permanently remove stuff. Is there personal info on your computer that you don't want someone else to have?

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

FDISK the thing, too.

5. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Fdisk won't remove the data, neither will format.

To get the drive label, i believe a dir on the c drive will tell you at the top but again format will not remove the data from the drive, so if it's personal stuff you should do a DOD wipe.

6. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

[​IMG]

Actually, if IRCC the format command required you to type in the existing volume label in order to format it... as a safety feature.

Snake's right, fdisk it... faster... just as (in)effective at removing data.

If you're concerned about data being taken off the disk, use a disk scrubber.

If you're REALLY concerned about data, like on the last hard drive I dispose of, you want to open it up and take a Dremel tool to the platters (like I did)... and when you're done, you've got a set of really excellent refridgerator magnets.

7. Claire

Claire New Member

Steve - Dremels are fun - but a 10lb sledge hammer is fun too ;)

I sold a few old computers at yard sales before I left Boston and after few swings of a sledge hammer - it doesn't resemble a HD anymore :shoot:

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I may just wait on selling the PC. I have a friend that has Drive Scrubber that he has offered me.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Every time I've formatted using that method, volume label creation was AFTER formatting. I wasn't asked twice, or before, or anything like that. Speaking of which, it's probably about time for a fresh reformat...Need a day by the time I gather up all my software and such.

10. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

get a mac... and you never have to do this...

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nah, I'm good.

12. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

My last drive took a blow from a .450 Marlin. What was left of it got disposed in 3 different trash bags that went out at 3 different times to the dump.

Hard drives are fairly cheap. Destroy the old one and just buy a new one. It's an old computer so you don't have to get the latest-greatest.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1. Easy to replace, too. I've dealt with NewEgg before, and they're just fine.