Help with Convincing my wife to carry

Discussion in 'Women with Firearms' started by gdski, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Her knickers might become real tight and she return the favor. Might become an issue there in Powder Springs.

Nemo

2. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

One thing to consider is that there are pro-gun people who deep down know they lack the ability to kill. If that is you, the decision not to carry is a wise one.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Greg,

Is she really going to run away and abandon your two boys?

The short answer is that you just need to tell her that you really love her and the children and wish she would reconsider. Then shut up. She is an adult. Treat her like one. You are not going to nag her into doing it, and nagging behavior in a male is very unattractive to a female.

Share news items from time to time. Oh, look, this woman was attacked in that grocery store parking lot where you shop. Let her come to her own conclusions.

4. gdski

gdski ITSec Guy

Good advice, thanks!

5. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This! Also 911 recordings, let her over hear you playing them, unarmed women getting raped or killed, when she asks, tell her what it is, let her know it can happen to her.

6. gungeek

gungeek Member

Updating a couple of my earlier posts in this thread. My apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking his thread.

After my wife got her GWCL in April (arrived in May), I gave her an "optional" gift for her birthday in June. I told her if she wanted, Big Woods Goods in Canton has a basic handgun for women only class, and I would sign her up if she was interested. She talked to one of her friends who also recently got her GWCL, and both signed up. The class was over two days, four hours of classroom on day 1, and four hours of shooting instruction on day 2. She and her friend completed the course yesterday, and she's been talking about it since.

Her 'qualifying target' is below. She shot my XDm 5.25" competition 9mm with Powder River trigger and steel guide rod. She wasn't sure of the distance, she said it was close, so I imagine 15'. Doesn't matter though - she did well, and it's all about building experience and confidence.

Next up, several trips to the range to rent various handguns so I can figure out what to get her for our anniversary in Sep or for Christmas. And if she's interested in carrying sooner, I may be able to scare up a suitable firearm from my safe. ;-)

So far, it's all about encouragement, not pressuring her to do what I want. That said, I'm very pleased and proud of her.

Attached Files:

7. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Congrats to your wife!
    Fine job on that target.

My wife chose the Sig P938 as her edc, however....she cannot seem to shake the "Nervousness, dipping the nose, closing the eyes" waiting for the BANG!

She gets it within the torso, so i am confident she can hit someone if need be.

She has been around guns most of her life....just gotta get over the BANG jitters.

8. phaed

phaed New Member

i was about to say that it's not worth it, until i saw where you said she's got your 2 boys much of the time. you have the unenviable task of relating logic to an illogical creature. typically, and unfortunately, that means she will only respond to a significant emotional event...and even then that's after-the-fact. maybe you can try to evoke some of those emotions by showing her some real criminal videos.

i don't know how young your boys are, but maybe keep a gun in the car where they can access it, and teach them how to use it. not ideal, but at least that'd cover part of the time.

9. beckdw

beckdw New Member

This is excellent advice. It is pretty much the only reason I have given my wife to get her to carry. She still only carries if I ask her to. She is licenced (back in WA) and very capable, just doesn't see the need most of the time and finds it uncomfortable and stressful. Right now we are living on a secure military installation (for whatever that is worth) and the only time she leaves is to go to Atlanta for work once a week. I am trying to get her to apply for her GA permit so she can carry to work.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Active Member

Ft. Hood is a secure military base also and was hit twice from inside.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Gdski, I suggest showing her the "Armed Citizen" page from whatever NRA magazine you receive. You're an NRA member, right?
    That "Armed Citizen" section is full of stories of successful self-defense using guns. Some of the time the bad guys turn and run without getting shot. Sometimes they're shot and wounded. Sometimes they die. Sometimes the armed citizen defender gets hurt, too, but not often.

If any such self-defense stories happen locally, point them out to her.

For any stories of women being attacked where the woman DID NOT have a weapon, and was victimized, show them to her. If the circumstances are such that the victim would likely have been able to fight off the attacker if she were armed, POINT THAT OUT to your wife.
    If the circumstances were such that the victim could not have gotten her gun out in time, just point out that when you carry concealed, it gives you the OPTION of drawing it and using it. If it's safer to keep it out of sight and comply, you can still do that.

Nobody said that just because you have a handgun with you, you have to pull it and use it! You can choose to ignore it and act like the rest of the unarmed victims, if you think that's the safest course of action.

12. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I like reading those too. Good stories.

13. Nemo

How old is the kid? Kid ready to start a little shooting also? Nothing like getting hooked on powder smoke at a young age.

Nemo

14. Nemo

Fair warning, she starts with a wheelgun she might learn the truth and the light and become a true believer and never get corrupted into the world of plastic.

Nemo

15. Iceman

Iceman Member

This!

Carrying a firearm is personal.

Think of it like this; you would not appreciate me trying to convince you that my religion is better for you, and you need to convert. Now, if you go and worship with me a few times, perhaps you'll be a little more receptive to my religion and consider converting....then again, maybe not.

Your wife has to make the decision to carry on her own. Stop trying to "convince" her.

Last evening, I spent an hour talking to a young lady who's husband insists she carry a gun. She is absolutely terrified of it (there's a history). When she pulled the holsterless gun out of the bottom of her purse, she held it like she was holding a rat by the tail. She handed it to me, and I cleared the weapon. It was loaded, and she was shocked to find out it was loaded. She had been carrying it for a week and thought it was unloaded. The gun is all wrong for her, she has long fingers and it's difficult for her to manipulate the compact size. Her only condition to carrying it was the color. We went through some dry fire exercises, and she cringed every time it clicked.

Clearly, a danger to herself and others, but she has it because it's what her husband wants......don't be that husband!

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Please stay on topic. This thread is not about 1911s. :)

17. Nemo

No, its about wheelguns and 2 year old kids seen the truth and the light.

Nemo