Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've met the woman of my dreams and I plan to ask her to marry me. Got a ring from D Geller (HIGHLY recommend, can't say enough good things about the Roswell Rd location) and now I have to ask her.

A little background. We met on eHarmony... started communicating in July, met for our first date on August 13th at Canoe (yeah, I spent that kinda money on it) and both pretty much knew then that we were meant for each other.

Some special places in Atlanta for us... Canoe, the Shakespeare Tavern (second date), the observation deck/bar at the Westin.

I had planned to take her to Canoe for our six month anniversary on 2/13 and proposing then but I've decided not to do it that night. Too close to V-Day. She expressed an interest in "doing more cultural things" like the symphony and the Shakespeare Tavern and that kind of stuff and dressing up and having a nice night out.

So... I have tickets to Bruckner at the Symphony on 1/21 and I'm going to ask that night. I want to get an amazing hotel room that night in Midtown or Downtown and take her to dinner as well. The Westin Peachtree Plaza is sold out unfortunately. I'm looking at the Marriott Marquis, the downtown Hilton, W Downtown, 12, and Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. No idea about restaurants but I don't want to be driving much and I'd like to keep the Ubers to a minimum.

I'm thinking stay at the Marriott Marquis, Uber to the symphony and back, then eat at the Sundial at the Westin and ask her then and there. I should be able to arrange something special with the maitre d' as far as having pictures taken and any other arrangements. Problem is, the food there sucks.

So, tl;dr this is what I need from y'all. Where should we stay, where should we eat, and where should we drink?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
HHMMM, first date mid August. Now late December. That makes about 4 1/2 months. BTDT before. My most serious suggestion, wait till Valentines day at the earliest. Maybe Easter or 4 July.

Best bet, NEXT Christmas.

Nemo

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HHMMM, first date mid August. Now late December. That makes about 4 1/2 months. BTDT before. My most serious suggestion, wait till Valentines day at the earliest. Maybe Easter or 4 July.

Nemo
We're both in our mid 30s, secure in our lives and careers. We've both had long term relationships that have failed. We've traveled extensively together and have been living together the past two months.

We both know what we want and that the other is it.

Now that that's out of the way, can we get back to my original problem?

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
I've lived in-town for 15 years and know the city and its restaurants very well. I get asked for advice all the time from burbies and out-of-state visitors. Unfortunately, no one ever seems to listen to my wife and me so here goes nothing....

For hotels, stay at one of these:

Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta
https://goo.gl/maps/oq6Aj7CGTm32

Loews Atlanta Hotel
https://goo.gl/maps/sw8Jfhctw772

W Atlanta Midtown
https://goo.gl/maps/j3g9hn7t4q32

Hyatt Atlanta Midtown
https://goo.gl/maps/Hhe5b4d8UL22

You will have easy walking access to Piedmont park for a romantic stroll with any of the above choices. You will be in a wealthy, walkable area with very few bums to harass you.

Go here for great food:

Park 75
https://goo.gl/maps/Q18mD4K3EpE2

South City Kitchen Midtown
https://goo.gl/maps/ZZZbB2Qcmvw

Ecco
https://goo.gl/maps/1vwcDGCbyhB2

Empire State South
https://goo.gl/maps/rFrJQGbjw5K2

·
Registered
930 Posts

Nemo
I met my wife when I was 30, she was 28. We were both working at Stanford Univ Hospital. After dating about 4 months, I got a job offer in San Diego. I told her I wanted to take the job if she would move down there with me. She did, and we got an apartment together. About 7 months later I proposed, and we were married 3 months later. A little over a year later we had our first child, and 3 months after that we moved across the country to Philly. Fast forward 21 years, we have 3 great kids and are very happily married.

Being in your 30s and knowing what you want makes all the difference. Congrats on your decision!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Congrats, I feel bad we must all pay the diamond tax and get screwed over. Precious stones are better, save the cash for other things.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've lived in-town for 15 years and know the city and its restaurants very well. I get asked for advice all the time from burbies and out-of-state visitors.

Thanks. I work downtown but I do live out in the burbs so your advice is valuable.

I'll see what kind of deals I can get on those hotels. And Empire State South comes up in every single conversation I have with someone about this.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations, GSU. I'm happy for you. You deserve all the happiness in the world.
Thanks bro. I'm ridiculously happy.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the ring, with her trying it on (she has no idea I bought one, much less this one. we went to Solomon Brothers, D Geller, Shane Co, and a bunch of mall stores and I've been spreading disinformation since)

Body jewelry Pre-engagement ring Wedding ring Finger Gesture

0.48cttw setting, 0.78ct G/VS1 round cut center stone. Set me back right at $4000.

and yeah, engagement rings are a total scam. But if it puts a smile on her face...

Attachments

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
I'm glad you found the right one. Let us know when she accepts your offer!

So, bend down on one knee and tell her:

"Stuff I say is not meant in any way to be medical advice. I may work in emergency medicine, but remember, I'm just a guy proposing to you. Take it with a grain of salt and don't sue me now, or later. So, will you marry me?"

:lol:

I'm sure you can think of much better words for her than anyone on the internet could.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts

Nemo
We're both in our mid 30s, secure in our lives and careers. We've both had long term relationships that have failed. We've traveled extensively together and have been living together the past two months.

We both know what we want and that the other is it.

Now that that's out of the way, can we get back to my original problem?
Well, congrats on getting the right one. Let it last a day longer than you.

Don't know enough about your area to give any good info. But sneak away to a long weekend in DC and stay at the Willard. Its just the best there is. Or better yet, make that a honeymoon thing come spring.

Take a visit to the NRA museum and the National Zoo. All the National Museums are no admission charges but keep in mind DC is a no carry at all anywhere anytime political jurisdiction.

Nemo

http://washington.intercontinental.com/

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad you found the right one. Let us know when she accepts your offer!

So, bend down on one knee and tell her:

"Stuff I say is not meant in any way to be medical advice. I may work in emergency medicine, but remember, I'm just a guy proposing to you. Take it with a grain of salt and don't sue me now, or later. So, will you marry me?"

I'm sure you can think of much better words for her than anyone on the internet could.

She's an ER nurse so I don't give her medical advice

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking like South City Kitchen Midtown and either W or the Four Seasons.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Don't know if you can pull this off, but...

My friend got his girlfriend to plan her own surprise engagement party. She thought she was planning a surprise birthday party for HIM. She thought her best friend and her mother were helping plan the party for Ed. They were both in on the scam. His parents came up from Florida, her mother arranged a visit and she invited a bunch of their friends. The party was at a neighborhood clubhouse. They drove up and walked in, we all yelled Surprise, and then he announced a change of plans. He dropped to one knee and showed her the ring. She didn't stop crying for over 30 minutes. He TOTALLY got her with this.

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
The food isn't great plus Stone Mountain is free. ;-)
Been several years since I ate there, but the filet mignon used to be ridiculously good. At $100'ish a plate, it damn well better be!

Can't beat the view if you're dining downtown, though. Especially if you time it right during sunset, a nice lightning storm, etc.

But, yeah, free is nice too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.