Help (maybe) with distressed deer

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mzmtg, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

There's been a whitetail doe running around our house for over 24 hours now. She keeps coming through our yard a couple of times an hour. She definitely appears to be looking for something.

We can't tell if she's lost (we usually see the local deer in groups of 3 or 4) or has lost something (like a fawn).

Here's a pic I snapped yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Is there anything we can/should do to try and help her?

2. maddog

maddog New Member

Definately wouldn't call the police ....

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Shoot/eat it? :D

Call animal control would be my guess.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

LOL!

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl: :rotfl:

6. tony218

tony218 New Member

well, at least henry county.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought that was DeKalb? Or were there two of them?

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My guess would be that it has lost its fawn(s) somehow and is looking for them.

9. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

ok don't call animal control or the PD... we get wildlife calls all the time for these critters and neither will do anything unless the deer is a danger to someone.

I would guess something ate her fawn. the fawns are at an age where the mom leaves them all day to graze but they are still small enough a medium sized dog could easily kill them...

If she is not a problem I would leave her be... She should stop in a few hrs. hopefully... i feel bad for the girl if she lost her baby... She looks to be in excellent body condition so she is not suffering from a chronic problem and has most likely not gone off feed

Let me know how she does for ya

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Slap a suppressor on and bring home the venison. If she lost her kid you might as well end her misery.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:-$ + :minigun: = :righton:

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Is she calling out a lot? If she's bleating then she's looking for her fawn. Have your wife punch you in the face, shoot the deer, then explain that the deer attacked you and you had no choice but to shoot it. Dinner is served.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Sounds like a plan to me. :righton:

14. Wiley

Wiley New Member

+1 on the plan. But the order is wrong. It's shoot, BBQ, punch. Your aim and eating will be less impaired. :lol:

15. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Nah... You gotta have the bruise on your face while chasing and shooting the deer. For the witnesses' benefit!

The real question he must ask himself is: Is my garage tall enough to dress, drain, and butcher the tasty critter!

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Yeah, but what's he supposed to do when his wife starts breeding deer next week?

17. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

lmao Sine Nomen.

If it isn't bleating and its just running around. Fence it in and call it Fluffy!

18. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

I have room for her at my house; my deep freeze has a couple empty shelves in it.
    :shattered:

19. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I had an even worse deer episode just a few weeks ago. My wife was up early and in the garage at 6:00am when a car came whipping around the curve and plastered a big doe right in front of my driveway. This doe is mom to 3 yearlings who were with her at the time of impact. The driver just kept on going.

Of course, my wife is upset as heck since the doe is not dead but both her hind legs are broken and she's lying in the street crying as she tries to drag herself off the road into my yard while her young ones watch from 50 yards away. Anyway, I called the cops in Alpharetta and told them the doe had to be put down but the female officer told me it would be at least 20 minutes till an officer could show up. I told her the youngest kids in the neighborhood would soon be out waiting for the school bus and I couldn't wait that long and that I was going to put her down myself.

She said "it is against the law to discharge a firearm within the city limits and that I would be held accountable if I did that when the officer showed up". Well, by this time, the doe had dragged herself to my front yard and just could not get up at all. I ran in the house and got my .22 rifle and approached her while she looked over her shoulder at me. I put her down with one shot to the temple from about 3 feet away and dragged her behind the bushes so the kids wouldn't see.

It wasn't 5 minutes until the officer showed up and walked over to me and the dead doe. He asked me if I had shot her and I admitted having done so. Then he asked me what I used and I told him my .22 rifle. He said, "Man, I'm glad you did that cause I wasn't looking forward to firing my .40 at 6:30 in the morning in the middle of this subdivision" and offered to help me drag it in the back yard if I wanted to clean it for butchering. I declined and he had a town truck come to pick it up later.

20. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You could have gone old school and used a blade. :twisted: