Help identify this revolver - New Pics!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Archangel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

The ONLY markings on it say:

Latest Model Smith and Wesson

This is on the top of the barrel. There is no serial number he can find anywhere.

A friend of mine whose family used to rehab houses found guns in the walls of one house. If he doesn't mind I'll post more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Some Model 2 variant? How many rounds does the cylinder hold?

3. Archangel

5. Looks to be 32 caliber.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

There are guys on the S&W forum that LIVE for this kind of question.

5. moe mensale

Especially if you have more pics!

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

You got that right. They're not very tolerant over there but they sure have some expertise on S&W revolvers. Just never, ever, under any circumstances, say anything that could remotely be considered negative about the NRA or ANY of its employees, directors, or leaders and you should be ok.

7. Archangel

I just asked him for more pics.

The S&W forum.... Been there (not about this)...

Rough crowd over there...

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Just the moderators. Many of the other members have forgotten what freedom is like.

9. Archangel

Added more pictures... I also hit up the S&W forum.

10. Archangel

Looks like it's not really a Smith and Wesson... I was wondering since there was no model or serial number on it which would be very un-Smith and Wessonlike.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Is it .32 rimfire, or centerfire?

If rimfire, check out this quote from a website documenting all the different models of S&W's early handguns:

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/smith-wesson-hand-guns/sw-32-caliber-descriptions/

"MODEL 32 RIM FIRE CARTRIDGE

1,513 manufactured by Warner in 1863. 4,486 manufactured by Pond in 1863 to 1864. 3,376 manufactured by Moore in 1863. 8,682 manufactured by Lowell in 1865 to 1872.

Note: These various named models were taken over and sold by Smith & Wesson following judgment granted them in law suits for infringements of Patent rights."

Note the "various named models" were not initially produced by S&W, but they infringed on S&W's intellectual property and thus were taken over by Smith & Wesson.

Maybe your gun was one of these infringing models, and it was quickly discontinued for that reason:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

odd

This little gun doesn't have the barrel as a separate piece, does it?
    It looks like the barrel and solid frame (not hinged anywhere, not a break-open design) are all made from one piece of steel. Right?

If so, that's got to be a terribly inefficient way to make a firearm, unless...

Unless the barrel is not rifled and this gun was intended to shoot very weak and poorly-fitting bullets through a smoothbore barrel.

Or, unless this gun was designed to fire blanks. A replica gun or starter pistol; a theatrical prop gun, etc?

13. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Looks like a Chinese throwing pistol!

14. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Something funny about that trigger. I've looked at several early models online, and none of them have that. It's either a repair made with a different part, or that may just be an old cheap Chinese knock-off and not a real S&W. Maybe it's a S&W prototype that got snuck out of the factory? Or just a replica blank gun like gunsmoker mentioned.

15. Archangel

It's not a real Smith and Wesson. It's some kind of knock off. Caliber is 32.

That thing by the trigger is actually the cylinder stop. It has snapped and is hanging down.

16. moe mensale

How do you load/unload it? I see the loading slot on the right side but no apparent way for the cylinder to come out. What are the actual mechanics involved?

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would guess that you load it by removing the cylinder.

18. Archangel

I don't physically have access to it, but that is my understanding. The cylinder comes out.