help Computer buying advice

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by xls177, Oct 27, 2010.

1. xls177

xls177 Member

I need to buy a new computer either laptop or desk model

what specs should i be looking for ?

Where should i look to find a good deal?

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

First thing... What's it gonna be, laptop or desktop? Sort of like choosing between car and bicycle.

3. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Also, what are you going to be using it for? Any specific applications that we should know about?

4. groats

groats New Member

First of all, are you REQUIRED to run specific, Windows-only software in order to do or keep your job? If so, you need to find out what the requirements are for that software, and whether or not it will run on Windows 7. Some won't. That narrows down your choices quite a bit.

Now, since I don't have any need to run Windows-only programs, I can first of all avoid paying the Microsoft tax by using Linux (Mint or Ubuntu or Ultimate all work fine for me, and come with every program I could possibly want for business or home use, so I don't have to spend anything more than the 30 cents a blank CD costs.

In addition, by using Linux, I can run an older, lower-horsepower computer without a problem. Most of mine are anywhere from 5 to 10 years old, salvaged from businesses who had discarded them. They all work very well for anything I need. Plenty fast and stable, and cost nothing at all, other than a few minutes cleaning them up.

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Here we go...

:D

6. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Putting a computer together is like legos. Very easy.

I always recommend putting one together using websites like www.newegg.com

Most retail desktops have a huge markup due to "labor".

If a desktop PC cost $1,500 from retail, I can build it for $800 myself

7. groats

groats New Member

Landfills and storage rooms across the country are overflowing with perfectly good computers. Is it really necessary to buy even more from China? And for what - just so we can brag about how we paid way too much for it?

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I think that if you aren't into building PCs or wrestling with Linux, then you either want a PC or a MAC.

You want the most RAM, HDD space, and CPU speed for the least amount of $$$. You just have to do your homework, compare prices, and shop around.

Groats, the very fact that he posted that thread here pretty much means he isn't a power user. I hear ya, bro. I salvaged an old HP business machine for my Linux Intrepid Ibex server.

9. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I like Groat's thinkin'. At one time I had three discarded computers all doing various things around the house which didn't require any great amounts of h.p. to do. The only fast computer I had was the one I used for gaming.
    I eventually got rid of the older computers (after 10 years) but I kept their hard-drives as external USB drives for backups and transfers. (How can I turn down a free 250Gb ""thumbdrive"" as big as my hand? :lol: :lol:

But, yeah, before we can make any recommendations we need to know what use you envision for the computer. Netbooks are superb for some jobs but usually bite the big one for fast gaming.

Oh, and if you're going to build a desktop, remember that while computers may be ephemeral, a good monitor can last for years and years. I still have a 17-inch monitor from the mid 90's ... somewhere.

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

+1 I have a 17" Viewsonic from around 2001 and it's as sharp as it was when I bought it.

Here's a monitor that will give you accurate colors no matter the viewing angle, which is great for image/video work: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-7825

I have a Dell sales contact that can sell you this monitor for less than $319. The prices varies, but I bought this monitor back in March for $220.

11. frankr

frankr Active Member

If you do not *need* a particular Windows application, I highly, highly recommend trying to go with a Apple laptop. It will do everything you need without many of the hassles from the Windows world. If you are going cheaper, I would recommend Ubuntu Linux as it works great on older computers.

12. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Anything but Apple

13. frankr

frankr Active Member

Apple has its issues for sure, but they pale in comparison to the problems with non-Unix systems 8) Basically, an Apple computer is really great for someone who does not want to administer a Linux or FreeBSD computer and yet wants the benefit of not dealing with the usability and security issues with a Windows computer.

14. vanguard

vanguard New Member

well what we did was went to best buy and got an emachines for $399.00 (this was 3 years ago) and upgraded to a wide flat screen, got it all for $500.00 including tax, and all i did was buy and install more memory for $40.00, and it has worked great with no problems. but we dont make a whole lot of money, so that was what we could afford. works great. :righton:

15. frankr

frankr Active Member

16. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

If you are a heavy Excel user, you want lots of ram, large cache hard-drive, and at least a 4 core processor.

If you do not use MS Office I highly recommend Linux. You can buy a magazine with a Linux disc for about $8 and try it without installing it. It will boot and run from the disc.

17. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

I can't use anything less than a 28" LCD monitor :(

Luckily enough those can be had for under $300 now a days.

18. xls177

xls177 Member

I was looking for both a laptop and a desktop

laptop is general use but wanted a HDMI output to hook to a tv
    Don't need top of the line but don't want to buy something on the way out that won't last a while

For the desktop same general use and light gaming. maybe online game or watch a tv show or two.
    I can't find the thread from a couple of months ago about buying a kit and putting it together yourself.if someone has the link.
    I got good use from the last local built unit i bought. I like the fact they don't come loaded with junk software.

It has been a long time since i shopped computer specs a little help with minimum specs is appreciated, processors ,ram, operating system, video cards.

The guys in the retail stores only point and say thats a good one.
    My last purchase came with win 98 installed

Thanks

19. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

If you are in Metro-ATL check out Fry's or MicroCenter for bare bones set ups for cheap.

I build everything I use (cept for laptops).

I also highly recommend Linux. I use Ubuntu and have been trouble free for years. Converted my wife over to it with an OLD T40 Thinkpad. Zippy fast, and stable, Open Office is free, and viola!

20. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

I am a Mac convert myself.....I was really sick of all things Microsoft (even though I have to use some still)....Macs are expensive though. For stability, less headaches and more security Mac has Microsoft beat IMHO.

We have an older Dell tower that my wife used in grad school.....hmmmmm....I'd really like to try to do something with it too. How difficult would it be to turn it into a Linux machine? Can you point me in the right direction? I need a new project that I can do w/out spending much $$ :)

Good luck, xls177. If you can afford it, I say go w/ Macs YMMV.