Hello. In IN now, will be in Duluth before long

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Warp, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Warp

Warp New Member

Hello all. Anybody that frequents Glock Talk, especially Carry Issues, already 'knows' me. My fiance took a position in Duluth and will be moving there within 3 weeks. What I am going to do is still up in the air, and I will have to change plans for schooling, but I will probalby be down in May.

Any suggestions on where to find a one bedroom apartment for $600-$750/mo in or around Duluth? We are currently looking online but may not be able to visit in person before moving. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Hopefully it does not take too long for her to get a GFL (this is the correct term for the license to carry, right?) and I will be able to carry on my Indiana permit so long as I am still an Indiana resident...which will at least be through May so I am good for visits, etc. Hopefully I will be able to deal with the complete bullcrap off limits places and vagueness of hte "public gathering" law.

I just do not understand the nonsense of the off limits places from a state that is shall issue, open carry allowed, license counts as NICS check, can have gun in car with no license, etc. :roll:

Also, how many schools relatively close to Duluth that offer a BS in Criminal Justice?

Edit: Oh yeah, what are the laws concerning assisted opening knives?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We are getting a lot of Glock Talk people over here. Welcome!

Don't let her see that. No, honey, of course I am moving to Georgia.

No input, but be careful of the neighborhood . . . hopefully some people here can provide better input on this. Price is not everything.

Statute says 60 days, and some people have been reporting here on this forum that Gwinnett issues faster than that.

What are you talking about? Georgia is a "pro-gun state." :lol:

Georgia State University in downtown Atlanta.

3. Warp

Warp New Member

Thansk for the input, Malum.

Yeah, about being pro gun..........:roll:

It does seem GA is pro gun....just not pro carry...but I havn't finished learning the laws...

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier!

Actually I was just on vacation back in South Bend and I was surprised just how different Indiana and Georgia carry laws are. In Indiana all that is off limits are really schools. Here you're always on thin ice... especially when you have vague rulings that parking lots at prohibited places are considered prohibitive places as well. But, you can get all the info on the legalities of stuff on this site.

If you live in Duluth, I think an apartment in that price range is definitely do-able. I live much closer to the city and I'm still under 800$ for what I consider is a good place. There is a local place called "ProMove" that I used when I got here. They get kickbacks of course, but they do recommend some good places and save you some legwork. I stayed for about 2 months at an extended stay hotel "InTown Suites" until I found the place I wanted. I think that place was 175$ a week or so, and that's in your price range as a temporary place to stay while looking. I also used apartmentratings.com and apartmentfinder.com to assist my search.

Good things about GA compared to IN. No snow, barely ever gets terribly cold, summer lasts about 8 months, licensed open carry w/o preemption, lots of gunstores in this area, decent ammo prices, lots of ranges (mostly indoor). Unless you actually LIKE snow! Then you are out of luck!

Bad things... Taxes are high, housing is expensive, commuting and traffic SUCK, crime is, IMHO, more prevalent around here than even what I've seen in Indy.

Welcome aboard!

I think the city of Atlanta also limits any knife to 2". That is in addition to schools. I didn't know about switchblades. I heard they were illegal to carry, but that was at a gunshow, you know how reliable that info is!

5. Warp

Warp New Member

Yeah, I don't care for the snow.

Indiana licenses allow open carry as well as concealed....but I could legally carry a handgun or rifle or shotgun open or concealed to a bar that was hosting a public gathering on college property sharing a parking lot with a sporting event here in Indiana. :)

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I got tongue tied lol. That was a lot of writing!

7. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

Cool!

Anyway, I thought you might want to know that if you will be living in Duluth, there is another school to consider.

[​IMG]

The University of Georgia is over in Athens, which is not a bad drive from Duluth.

If you are studious, there is also the lottery-funded "Hope Grant" for Georgia residents, which will pay your way through school and for books.

8. Warp

Warp New Member

I'm looking for schools in the area that offer a BS in Criminal Justice. Seems Georgia State is the only choice...will have to check them out...

9. Malum Prohibitum

Ahem . . . http://www.uga.edu/crimjust/index.html

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Glad to see you will be moving down here Warp, specifically Duluth.

It's where I live when I am not at school.

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:welcome: Warp. I, too, frequent Glock Talk a good bit. Our GA gun laws will take some getting use to. This is a great forum with great folks. If you haven't figured it out, Malum is our resident entertainment. :lol: