Hello from Duluth

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Rammstein, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hello all,

I was directed to this site by Malum Prohibitum. I normally post on GlockTalk and he said I would equally like this forum as well.

So, a little about myself. I am a twenty-one year old college student attending Georgia Southern University working towards an undergraduate degree in political science with an emphasis in legal studies and more specifically, constitutional law. I will be joining the Army after I graduate to become an Infantry officer.

I carry a Glock 23 every day, and this December I will be getting a new Glock 19 OD. I can't wait, all I have to do is save up a little more and it is mine! Good thing for layaway, I haven't come across many OD Glock 19s.

I plan on becoming a member of Georgia Carry, it'll just have to wait until I get back home and to my checkbook. I look forward to supporting Georgia Carry in any way I can.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Rammstein,

Glad to see you made it over here!

There is enough research stuff here for ten college papers!

What happened when you presented the Moore case in your Monday class?

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

welcome aboard

5. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

:welcome:
    Lots of good local info here!

I am on GT too (PM me if you can't figure out my GT name...we have exchanged PMs on GT before)

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Malum Prohibitum, I was set to talk about it in class, but our test got moved up so we had to cram the rest of the chapter material into that day which left no time for discussion. However, I'll get to talk about it this Monday.

Also, I'm glad there is a lot of info here because my English professor just changed our research paper from a analysis to an argumentative paper.

Curtdiss, of course I remember you. You offered me a job after I was terminated from Moe's. I still appreciate that too!

7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:welcome: I, too, post a good bit over at Glock Talk and have seen you there. My son attends GA Southern (as does my money). Again Welcome. This is a great forum.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Rammstein

Good signature line.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito. (Latin) = Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them. ...

A verse from Virgil, and the motto of the Ludwig Von Mises Institute, based in Auburn, Alabama!

Link

This is a pretty cool shirt, too.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thanks. And here I thought I was kinda unique with that phrase.

Still a good phrase though.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Like how they made that shirt in red, with Mises' face, like one of those leftist Che Guevara T-shirts? Too bad most college leftists would be too stupid to "get it."

If you have not read the following books, available at that web site, you absolutely must do so before finishing college to have the tools to combat what they are teaching.

(1) Economics in One Lesson - Henry Hazzlit. More a treatise on how to think than what to think. You will never make another shallow economic assumption again after reading this book.

(2) The Road to Serfdom - Friedrich Hayek.

(3) The Law - Frederic Bastiat.

SOme of them are even available for free in .pdf!

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Hey there welcome one more time! Sorry I havent been on here much to say hi but looks like you have made some more friends.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting, I'll definitely put those books on my list.

I have about 30 books on my list now. I am a voracious reader, and love non-fiction history and law stuff.

I'm reading a book right now that satisfies both categories. It's called "All The Laws But One" by William Rehnquist (I'm sure you know who he was :))

Great read. Basically, it talks about the applications of civil liberties in a time of war or crisis.

13. Malum Prohibitum

The Law, by Frederic Bastiat, is short enough to read in one sitting.

Henry Hazzlitt's Economics in One Lesson is longer, but a very easy read, and since it challenges certain economic assumptions you have held all your life, it will hold your interest. Have you ever read anything in college attacking the Tennessee Valley Authority as an economic program? :D What a great program, right? Well, sure, Hazlitt argues, if all you do is look at one group, the locals, and only look at the immediate effects. I will give away a little here and tell you what is his"One Lesson": "From this aspect, therefore, the whole of economics can be reduced to a single lesson, and that lesson can be reduced to a single sentence. The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups." The rest of the book consists of stories illustrating this one important lesson that most people, who vote, never learn.

With stories on tariffs, minimum wage, rent controls, taxes. unions, wages, profits, savings, credit, unemployment, and so much more, Hazlitt takes some of the most difficult economic concepts and makes these easily accessible to the lay person who has no economic training, background, or even inclination.

Friederic Hayek's The Road to Serfdom is less accessible, but still the classic work on why centralizing government and planning the economy ends up in "serfdom."

I consider these books so essential that they should be read before being allowed to attend college. :wink:

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I've been lucky at Georgia Southern in that my professors have not put their foot in their mouths.

Now, at Georgia Perimeter I had a professor tell me that communism was the best form of government. This professor had a temper and yelled at anyone that didn't tow the party line. But, I raised my hand and when he called on me I said "then why have all truly communistic governments collapsed or moved to a capitalist system?"

I was surprised, because he didn't yell. He just stood there for a minute, looking at his cup of coffee when he finally said "well, in theory, it is the best form of government."

But, I was more of a smart ass back then so I followed up with, "but if it doesn't work in reality, then it doesn't work at all, right?."

Pretty much all of the other students were looking at me and back at him to see what he was going to do next.

All he said was, and he said this softly, "I suppose." Then went on with the rest of the lecture.

A few weeks later he flipped out and started yelling at everyone for no reason. Literally, everyone was taking notes when he turned around and said that we're not taking his class seriously. THAT was a weird day.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Great! Most of your other teachers think the same thing; they just are not as blatant about it.

:D

Sounds like your college experience is going to be as fun as mine was. :wink:

So, let me get this straight. The most perfect system is one in which I cannot advance beyond the most stupid, vile, and lazy among us no matter how hard I work or how much effort I put into my advancement?

Sounds perfect!

And the guy who skates by at work and then spends all his extra time drinking and watching TV should have as much "stuff" as the guy who works full time, part time, and attends school in addition to advance his skill sets?

Sounds perfect!

And, if I come up with a better idea, one that leaves my fellows better off than the condition in which I found them, and people want to exchange something of value that they have produced in trade for my invention, then I should be shot or imprisoned as an enemy of the state, correct?

Sounds perfect!

Of course, if the answer to the last question is "no," then communism cannot succeed, can it?