heeeaaarrrrssss MARTA!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

4 Shot At College Park MARTA Station

POSTED: 6:59 am EDT March 15, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:51 am EDT March 15, 2007

COLLEGE PARK, Ga. -- Four people were wounded in a shooting Thursday morning at the College Park MARTA Station.

MARTA officials say none of the injuries are life-threatening.

The shooting happened just before 7:00 a.m.

WSB-TV photographer Dan Casey reports seeing MARTA police take a man from the scene in handcuffs.

The MARTA rail line is running normally, but the bus loading area at the College Park station has been roped off by police.

Copyright 2007 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

yeah just one more example of that gun free zone working real well! There arent many details but I wish criminals would know that carrying a gun at a MARTA station is bad!!!!

Vewy Vewy bad.........

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Did you also hear that one of the Marta bigwigs also got caught and arrested in compromising situation with another man in a bathroom stall at the Atlanta airport? WSB-750 was reporting that as well on the way in.

4. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Caught in Hartsfield?

Well it's good to know they stick it to people other than the Marta riders. I know bad joke. At least our use of deadly force law doesn't say you have to wait to shoot until you know your wound is life threatning or not. The problem with Marta's no guns policy is it is not saying for criminals only NO GUNS allowed. Like that will do the trick. :rant:
    Take care,

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

As much as I would love to pin the no guns thing on MARTA, I feel that in fairness I need to point out that this is not a MARTA policy. It's a problem with State law! Glad to see everyone getting worked up about it, just be sure to aim in the right direction before shooting this zombie...

6. albundy

albundy New Member

7. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

The following is an article from the AJC about safety and Marta:

MARTA: HOW SAFE? Transit system officials defend security, cite low crime totals, despite a few high-profile incidents

February 9, 2007

Steven Bavec used to be a dedicated MARTA rider.

But last July, the financial analyst was attacked by two young men who followed him home from the Oakland City station in southwest Atlanta. Bavec, 50, was knocked unconscious and robbed.

He hasn't stepped foot on a MARTA train since the incident.

"There wasn't a patrol car there," Bavec said. "Had there been a patrol car, I would not have gotten attacked."

The question of MARTA's safety took on renewed resonance this week after a Fulton County jury awarded $1.7 million to an Atlanta grandmother who was raped after being abducted from a MARTA parking deck in 2002. Her lawyers questioned the transit system's security. The woman said she screamed and honked her horn during the attack, but no one came to her rescue. MARTA officials couldn't show which officers were on duty that night and where they were positioned.

Crime statistics supplied by the transit system show serious violent crimes like rape and murder are rare, especially considering the transit system moves about 100,000 people a day on its buses and trains.

MARTA reported four rapes and two murders in the last five years, a statistically tiny number given that MARTA handles more than 182 million bus and rail trips a year.

But MARTA deals with lesser violent crime, such as aggravated assault and robbery. Records show someone is beaten up or robbed on MARTA property about twice a week, on average. MARTA's crime numbers are in line with similar-sized transit systems such as the Bay Area Rapid Transit System in San Francisco, Federal Transit Administration records show.

It's difficult to get a true handle on the total amount of MARTA-related crime, however. MARTA's crime records would not include Bavec's beating case, for instance, because even though the incident began on MARTA property, the attack took place on a city street.

Transit officials said they have no way to know how many similar cases have occurred.

MARTA Police Chief Wanda Dunham said her department works hard to ensure the safety of passengers. The system employs about 300 officers, making MARTA one of the 10 largest police forces in the state.

"MARTA is a very safe system," said Dunham.

She said MARTA train tracks run through some rough neighborhoods, and some of the crime simply spills over to the system.

"The public has to understand that this is public transportation, and we can't say who can take our system and who can't," she said. "If they pay the fare . . . they can take the system."

Serious violent crime has dropped by 40 percent since 2001, Dunham said, when the system adopted a new policing strategy in which officers are deployed to particular areas based on an analysis of crime data.

MARTA may be safer than many people realize, but in the transit business, perception is everything. A single incident can cause riders to think again about their safety.

Ana Velez believes MARTA needs help. The 42-year-old administrative assistant said that two months ago she was followed through a tunnel at the Decatur MARTA station by a man who insisted Velez take him home.

"I will never go to that station again," said Velez, who has since changed her final stop to another station. "Police inside the stations and on the trains--they are few. They should hire more police or get cameras."

Several MARTA passengers interviewed while riding the rails Thursday said they were pleased with the system's security.

On Thursday, Jasmine Cyprian, Latanya Majors and Jacqueline James waited for a ride at the Buckhead MARTA Station, which was empty, save for one burly-looking man. The women, who ride MARTA daily, said safety wasn't a large concern. They hadn't heard about the recent jury award to the rape victim, but news of her unanswered cries for help didn't surprise them.

"It's very rare to find MARTA employees at the station," Cyprian, 21, said. "They're either talking to their friends or on their cellphones."

When MARTA was built in the late 1970s, officials knew one of the biggest challenges they faced was convincing Southerners that big-city transit was safe. The system could not survive by serving only those who could not afford a car, said Ken Gregor, a former MARTA general manager.

Gregor said MARTA has done an excellent job of protecting its riders, especially compared to other large transit systems, but many middle-class people remain reluctant to hop aboard.

"If MARTA is going to be successful . . . it's got to attract the middle class, it just has to," he said. "And over the years, we've had very limited success at that."

At midday, a packed eastbound MARTA train rumbled past Grady Memorial Hospital, new townhomes in Candler Park and a string of low-slung industrial buildings. A disheveled man snoozed in a corner seat, his belongings spilling out into the aisle.

No officers were visible at stations or on the train during a 30-minute ride. MARTA officials noted that undercover officers are often deployed on trains.

Robert Hall, a network engineer, said he feels so safe on the train he typically whips out his laptop as soon as he sits down.

"It's safer than it used to be," said Hall, 38, who grew up in Atlanta. "Things happen [on the train], but it's no where near what happened 15 years ago."

Michele Spence said riding MARTA is a cakewalk compared to her days riding the subway in New York.

"I feel like I could basically take a nap on the train," said Spence, 42, of Forsyth County. "They're clean -- no homeless people sleeping and no men selling things for a dollar. I've taken [MARTA] as late as 10:30 at night, and I've never felt threatened."

RATHER DRIVE?

Supporters of MARTA say riding public transit is no more dangerous than driving. According to the Governor's Office of Highway Safety:

• In 2005, there were 59 crash-related fatalities on public roads in the city of Atlanta.

• Figures for the entire metro area were unavailable. But in 2005 there were 118 fatalities in Fulton County and 80 in DeKalb County.

STATION BREAKDOWN

Total serious crimes reported at MARTA stations for the 2006 fiscal year (stations listed in order of passenger use):

Five Points ............43

Airport..................9

Hamilton Holmes ........25

College Park............30

Kensington..............22

West End................24

Lindbergh Center........21

Indian Creek............12

Arts Center..............4

Peachtree Center ........6

Chamblee................12

North Avenue ............9

North Springs............6

Avondale................19

Doraville ..............12

Lenox....................7

Oakland City............21

Midtown..................9

Dunwoody ................7

Decatur..................9

East Point..............23

Georgia State............8

Brookhaven ..............6

Lakewood/Ft, McPherson..25

Inman Park/Reynoldstown 13

Dome/GWCC/Philips/CNN ..11

West Lake ..............13

Buckhead ................3

Bankhead ................4

Ashby ..................13

Civic Center ............8

King Memoria............l5

Sandy Springs............5

Garnett..................8

Medical Center ..........1

Vine City................9

Edgewood/Candler Park ..15

West Lake ..............11

8. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

It's a good thing criminals follow the law. :roll:

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

"The public has to understand that this is public transportation, and we can't say who can take our system and who can't," she said. "If they pay the fare . . . they can take the system."

Then I would say, well then if you cant control what type of person rides, why restrict me from protecting myself as a law abiding citizen!

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Sounds like a good question to ask your Assembly-person. Call or send them an email with that question. Remeber that it is a FELONY to board with a firearm. 16-12-123(b) the bus/subway itself is 1-10 years and 16-12-127(a) terminal (the station itself, the parking lot that surrounds it, or any regular stop along the route) is 1-20 years and up to $15,000.00 fine. Just for possession, even with a GFL.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=123
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=127

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

So a GFL holder can get a total of 31 years for boarding with his gun?

1) 10 years for the train itself.

2) 20 years for the terminal.

3) 1 year for "public gathering."

This is sick.

12. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

Marta is so screwed up that it is a joke. What is really disgusting is that the way this law is set up, you can't have your gun with you from your home to the station, or from the station back to your home. If you bring it with you, you automatically become a felon. And they wonder why more "middle class" don't ride MARTA? This is why I don't.

I knew an LEO that worked with MARTA police several years ago. He was rather young looking, so his job was to dress as a college student with book bag, etc. and ride the lines all day as an undercover plant. He told me that there were a lot of days when there would be two or three attempts to rob him of his wallet and laptop. He was - of course - armed and would make the arrest, hand off the perp to another officer at the next station and keep on riding.

Don't misunderstand, I really think MARTA has a very good police department. Over the past few years, I have had to seek assistance from MARTA police, Atlanta City Police and DeKalb County. MARTA was far and away the most courteous, helpful and genuinely concerned of the three, and operated much more professionally in my experience.

I think their biggest problem is in the top level management - the political positions.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

14. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

Gunstar, that map brings home very strongly just how absurd the MARTA ban is - only three states. Gee, Mr. Legislator, don't that just make us look really good??? :banghead:

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Marta sure is dangerous....good thing people can buy IWB holsters... 8)

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, isn't that special. And don't forget the grandmother that was kidnapped and raped does not show up in those statistics, either. :roll:

The publicly available statistics, which do not include either the grandmother or the example given at the beginning of the AJC story Mike from Philly posted, are available at about the third post here.

But by all means, do not stop reading there. We have two pages of discussion on it! :D

Its only four rapes (not including the ones that are not included)! Send your wife and daughter everywhere by Marta! Alone!

:roll:

17. Malum Prohibitum

Let me be clear about that map. Montana bans carry onto trains ONLY. New Mexico bans carry onto buses ONLY.

Georgia is quite alone in its buses, trains, planes, parking lots, terminals, and bus stops 20 years in prison even for walking by the bus stop, no gun in the glovebox in the parking lot law.

In most states, you can walk right into the terminal with your gun, so long as you do not violate federal law by going through the metal detector. Also in most states, you can carry on the Marta-like transportation. I remember not that long ago, there was a battle in Houston because the local municipal mass transit was trying to keep out guns by posting a 30.06 sign. They lost.

18. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Im with ramm on this one. Solution = I.W.B. :D

19. Malum Prohibitum

Wisconsin bans carry in any motor vehicle. It has no special laws regarding mass transit.