Heat Shield on Mossy 590 Special Purpose, Ghost Sights

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by moga, Oct 22, 2007.

1. moga

moga New Member

I special ordered a 20" 590 Special Purpose after Adventure Outdoors couldn't find the 590 they claimed to have in stock. Problem is I mistakenly ordered the ghost sight model #50663 instead of the model with the heat shield #50660 because I wasn't expecting to make an order and so I didn't have the correct info handy. By the time I realized what happened, AO already put the order in, so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

The call taker this morning at AO suggested that I simply put a heat shield on the ghost sight model, but I remembered a old post from another forum that discussed why a heat shield won't go on the 590 ghost sight because of the barrel walls. A call to Mossberg confirmed this, of sorts. The rep said it wouldn't be easy to install the heat shield because it slides over the barrel, and the front blade sight of my gun cannot be removed. He recommended that I buy a bead sight barrel and install that barrel with heat shield. This I am not willing to do.

Does anyone know if the heat shield is one solid piece? I expected that it would be open on the bottom, and if so, obviously there would be another option for installation other than sliding over the barrel. Even if it is one solid piece, is there a way to get it done without buying another barrel?

2. Lightsped

Lightsped Guest

I have a 590A1 which has Ghost Rings. I am very happy with this model. I don't have the model number for you to reference as I am not even sure it is listed on their civilian website (590A1 is a military version, but is able to be sold to the public, just not widely advertised).... Anyways, I'd just keep what you have.

If you have to install a heat sheild, I am afraid I can't be of any help.... How about some pics?

3. moga

moga New Member

You have the #51663 I believe. The gun I ordered is similar in appearance and configuration to yours. The prime differences is that your gun has a heavy barrel, metal trigger guard, and speed-feed stock. I saved a buck or two by not opting for those upgrades.

I'll put up some pics when it gets in. In the meantime, the serial numbers in my OP are hyperlinked to the factory pictures, in case you hadn't noticed.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

If choosing between the two, I'd rather have the ghost ring sights.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

As would I. And that's beside the fact that the heat shield is ugly and can get caught on things.

6. moga

moga New Member

As I understand it, Mossberg advises that the heat shield will not fit on the 590A1 because there's a good chance in marring the finish on the barrel if it's not done carefully. They simply don't want to deal with bubba the home armorer looking for a refinish because the shield doesn't go on as a drop-on install.

This is likely why the Mossberg rep commented that the installation wouldn't be easy instead of it couldn't be done.

Budder, I think the heat shield looks kinda cool on the Mossy, but more importantly, its reported that barrel will warm up pretty good if you shoot a bunch of rounds down range. I'm sure that I'll use this firearm in a class next spring, and so I want to avoid being burned by my gun while training.

I hadn't before thought of it getting snagged on things. When installed from the factory, the fit and finish appear to be of high tolerances in the specimens that I've seen first hand. Have you heard of this happening to others, and if so, what was it caught on? Just wondering so that I can take it under consideration.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Haven't heard of any instances, but I mostly read 870 discussions, so that doesn't surprise me. It's more of a theory that popped into my head when researching pumps.

8. moga

moga New Member

I haven't yet shot it, but I'm not nearly as intersted in the heat shield as before. Honestly, I don't want to marr the finish putting it on.

I know the pics are crappy, but I was more concerned with snapping a few pics on my porch before my artsy neighbors freaked out than capturing cool lines.

Thanks to Volgrad for giving me the itch for a HD 12 guage. I already wanted one before camping season begins next year. Seeing his pr0n just made the acquisition all the more urgent :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Looks nice. What kinda shells are those?

10. moga

moga New Member

Wolf double-ought and 1-oz slugs.

11. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Nice!
    Would you mind posting a close-up of the light & mount, plus a few written details?

12. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

13. moga

moga New Member

The tri-rail is a Leaper's product, but a little larger than the device that blind_shake referenced in his post. The area of the rail that accommodate the barrel is larger for the 12 guage diameter, and it has more slots on the rail. It consists of a main body with a rail on the left and right side and two covers that attach by hex screw on top of the magazine tube and under the flashlight mount. The bottom cover also has an available rail.

I chose a light from Command Arms because it was just the right size to rest against the bayonet mount and sling mount and have a level point of aim. It's just like a custom fit for the application. The pigtail switch has a hook and loop fastener; one side of which I epoxied onto the forend to keep it in place.

The light is plenty bright at 21' and there is no noticeable weight on the front of the rifle, and I can still have my sling. All in all I am very satisfied with the installation.

Both items were purchased from JSE Surplus for about $55 total.

Feel free to ask if there was something that I didn't cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]