Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reviewed several of the sites so I'm pretty sure I have a grasp of the laws there but I figured there's no harm in checking here again for personal experience.

Concealed carry only unless hunting, fishing, traveling to or from.
~ What about brief accidental exposure?

No carry in the portion of businesses, licensed to serve alcohol, primarily dedicated to such purpose.
~ I take that to mean not in the bar of a restaurant but opinions vary due to the legalese used.

No duty to inform upon contact with a LEO.
~ Not that I anticipate any but does anyone have an idea how carriers are generally treated?

Any feedback, suggestions or other commentary?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Brief, accidental exposure is not supposed to be illegal, but who gets to decide what is brief? I often pocket carried in Florida so I wouldn't have to worry about my shirt riding up.

As for how people like us are treated, there was a video on here a few months ago of what happened to a guy in Florida with brief, accidental exposure. He was proned out and arrested. The law was changed sometime after his case. I think there have been other videos of gun toters being held at gunpoint because their shirt rode up. The change in the law is supposed to prevent those types of incidents.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
2011 law

Florida changed their laws for the better in 2011. I hear that's when they got full and explicit preemption of local city and county ordinances. The last time I spent a lot of time in Florida, I recall that I saw a bunch of "no weapons allowed" signs at parks. But those should all be gone now, or at least null and void, not enforceable.

790.06 also seems to allow you to leave your gun in your vehicle even in places where you can't take it inside the facility.

My buddy who was a State's Attorney down there told me to watch out for bars and the bar area of a restaurant. Stay away from those places, and it's wise not to drink alcohol at any restaurant while carrying. (it makes you look bad to the cops and prosecutors who may be reviewing your actions later, if something goes down).

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
Florida changed their laws for the better in 2011. I hear that's when they got full and explicit preemption of local city and county ordinances. The last time I spent a lot of time in Florida, I recall that I saw a bunch of "no weapons allowed" signs at parks. But those should all be gone now, or at least null and void, not enforceable.

790.06 also seems to allow you to leave your gun in your vehicle even in places where you can't take it inside the facility.

My buddy who was a State's Attorney down there told me to watch out for bars and the bar area of a restaurant. Stay away from those places, and it's wise not to drink alcohol at any restaurant while carrying. (it makes you look bad to the cops and prosecutors who may be reviewing your actions later, if something goes down).
if you drink 1 adult beverage with a meal i doubt it

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
It's not illegal in Florida to wear your magazine carrier unconcealed at any time.

Wear your mag carrier openly and carry your gun in a Sneaky Pete holster OWB which completely conceals it. It's the next best thing to open carry there if you're not fishing or hunting.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Better late than never if you're reading this!

Concealed carry only unless hunting, fishing, traveling to or from. ------> You will get lots of sh*t from every cop.
~ What about brief accidental exposure? ---> Shouldn't be an issue.

No carry in the portion of businesses, licensed to serve alcohol, primarily dedicated to such purpose.
~ I take that to mean not in the bar of a restaurant but opinions vary due to the legalese used. --> Sit at a table in Chili's, not at the bar. Yes, you can walk through the bar area to get to the restroom.

No duty to inform upon contact with a LEO.--> Correct.
~ Not that I anticipate any but does anyone have an idea how carriers are generally treated? --> Entirely subjective on whether cop got laid that morning, won the lottery, found out his wife is leaving him & taking the dog, what agency he works for, etc.

Any feedback, suggestions or other commentary? --> Have fun!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uneventful trip on the subject of carrying and I don't recall seeing any no gun signs but to be honest I didn't go out of my way to look either. Great beach vacation though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Asking this to prevent making a new thread.

Florida is like Georgia in that signs hold no legal weight, correct?

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
Asking this to prevent making a new thread.

Just o you can't carry in a bar,or in restaurants you can't sit in the bar area

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Depends where the sign is. They are legal at prohibited places like police departments, airport sterile areas, schools, courts, any federal buildings.

They carry no weight at state and local government offices, parks, beaches, etc.

They carry no weight at private businesses. However, if they make you and ask you to leave you must leave.

Mark is correct about the bar/restaurant thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts