headed to Alabama tomorrow - carry issues?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by 70755, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 70755

70755 Guest

Day trip to Alabama tomorrow, Opelika area. I'll check out the state by state website resources, but is there anything in particular you guys know of which I should be aware? off-limits places, holster requirements, etc..... I have a GA license.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Basically nothing off limits, GA license recognized but not needed outside the car for openly carrying. I have heard anecdotes about a high level of ignorance among the local constabulary about their laws, though, and harassment of carriers. Check out www.opencarry.org on the Alabama forum.

3. 70755

70755 Guest

thx

Looking here,
    http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

I see no reference to Georgia-style off limits places for permit holders. Only public demonstrations.

I find it interesting that a permit is required for anyone to carry a loaded gun in their own car.

It also looks to me like a license is needed for carry off of your own premises per the restriction of 13A-11-52.

I take it 13A-11-75 which permits carry in vehicle and permits concealed carry trumps the 13A-11-52 (carry of a pistol away from own premises) and 13A-11-50 (carrying concealed) restrictions. What is not totally clear to me is how or if open carry away from premises is permitted, as 13A-11-75 specifically mentions allowing concealed carry. I read at NRA-ILA that open is allowed. No matter, I would be CC if I choose to carry away from the car.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Case law said the newer statute overruled the older statute and that they must be read together. There are threads about it at the link I gave, above, complete with case law.

5. 70755

70755 Guest

Thanks.

By the way, NRA-ILA does not even have Georgia info up to date. Last update was Dec '09. That is kind of pathetic IMO.

6. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

In NRA-land, the change never happened. Sore losers. :roll:

7. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I dont think the NRA really likes GA...

8. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

For many of us the feeling is completely mutual.

9. chateau

chateau Member

I just noticed that State Park carry is now OK according to HandgunLaw.us. Wasn't that off limits until recently?

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It has been changed. As far as I know they aren't off-limits anymore.

11. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

I don't see anything about whether I have to notify the LEO that I have a weapon in the car and another one on my hip or whether it's ok to have one in the tube. That's how it's gonna be tomorrow, so if anyone can clarify that for me I'd be appreciative. I checked the Alabama gun law sites and those two items I did not see addressed.

12. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

from that it's clear that NO PERMIT=MUST OC
    PERMIT=WEAPON IN CAR OK AND CC OK

thx, but that still does not address whether, when in ALA, I MUST advise the LEO of a weapon on my person or in the vehicle.

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I know the original poster has probably already been on his trip and back, but this post brought a question to mind that a quick look at the Alabama statute could not answer for me. About ten years ago I lived in Alabama and the county sheriff could implement his (or her) own restrictions on carry licenses. Is that still true or has Alabama finally embraced state preemption?

14. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

pretty sure they are may issue and put restrictions on the license...but i believe a GA license will be treated as an unrestricted license

if you have an AL restricted license can you OC to bypass the sheriff restrictions?? id think so

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Some sheriff's threaten to revoke for OC (or so I've read). Also, some of these restrictions list "no OCing" even though a license is not required to OC. :screwy:

16. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

can you carry on a non resident license?? they cant revoke what they didnt gve

17. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

A poster( aadvark )at the link MP provied:
    Edit:
    http://www.legislature.state.al.us/Code ... -11-52.htm

18. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/Code ... -11-52.htm[/quote:apo9c1pk]

Pay attention to this. Article 3 of Chapter 11 of Title 13A of the Alabama Code contains all the code sections pertaining to carrying of weapons. Specifically code section 13A-11-73 authorizes the carrying of concealed weapons with a license and open carry without a license according to the Attorney General Opinion that MP provided. Since both codes are located in Article 3, section 13A-11-73 would be the Except as otherwise provided in this article clause that would apply in code section 13A-11-52.

19. zanshin

zanshin New Member

Sorry I come late to this topic. I just moved from Alabama and have an Alabama cc permit. My permit specificly forbids open carry and my understanding is oc is forbidden civilians state-wide.

Also, except for taking your newly purchased handgun home, to place of business, or to be repaired, having a handgun anywhere in your car in any condition is illegal. This law is widely ignored, of course.