·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Aim for the hips.

Seriously.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Center mass for me; if that fails, go low not high. Heads tend to be small, armored and mobile, all things I don't want in a gunfight. Hips tend to be the center of gravity and things pivot around them (If I'm explaining that correctly.)

·
69,149 Posts
Zombie thread! Worth noting that was nitrogenated, a forum member here, that those two hapless carjackers decided to pick on.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Zombie thread! Worth noting that was nitrogenated, a forum member here, that those two hapless carjackers decided to pick on.
Wait wait wait... did he get jumped again while I was away?

AFAIK he'd been assaulted by, IIRC, a single person in a grocery store parking lot that held a knife to his throat, but two carjackers is news to me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Center mass for me; if that fails, go low not high. Heads tend to be small, armored and mobile, all things I don't want in a gunfight. Hips tend to be the center of gravity and things pivot around them (If I'm explaining that correctly.)
Nailed it. Any successful shot to the hips is highly likely to incapacitate for any number of reasons, up to and include possible death via damage to the femoral artery, BUT, is generally more likely to truly incapacitate without killing unless that's your outright goal. Plus, as the hips are a large target, they're easy to hit, and the body ALWAYS follows the hips, so it's an easy (or easier) to track them, and if you are firing quickly or dealing with heavy recoil, you should be able to fire several rounds easily without making any special recoil control or re-aiming efforts without the sights ever leaving the target, even if you are firing fast.

It is my understanding (via hearsay, I have no supporting evidence) that some SOG units now favor 5 shots to the hips over the Mozambique drill.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It is my understanding (via hearsay, I have no supporting evidence) that some SOG units now favor 5 shots to the hips over the Mozambique drill.
That's a Euro sog thing. Afaik its still not commonplace in most training, although fairly effective in slowing someone down the problem there is people can still shoot you when they aren't walking :p

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
That's a Euro sog thing. Afaik its still not commonplace in most training, although fairly effective in slowing someone down the problem there is people can still shoot you when they aren't walking :p
Ahhhhh, that must have been what it was, and makes sense now why I couldn't remember where I got it nor find any supporting documentation. I've made the acquaintance of a number of SOG-types over the years, including a few Euro's.

People can, of course, shoot at you when they aren't standing, and there have been a number of incidents that have shown just how many bullets some people can eat - even in "critical" areas, and without being on drugs of any kind - and still keep going, however...

I think the idea with this one is that you don't consider them "down for the count" at that point, so much as it's easy to quickly dump 5 rounds in an area that size - especially since the worst that happens is muzzle rise puts a few rounds in center mass - and while they are in the process of going down from one or more hits, you move in and either disarm them or issue follow-up shots as needed. Chances are high that they're not armored in that region and will "go down" if any one of those shots actually hits the hips, even if only for the moment it takes for you (or a squad mate) to close in and take control of them or their weapon. In theory, that group of shots is much easier to make quickly - especially as a reaction shot - with a minimum of fuss than trying to execute a Mozambique.

Still training for center mass accuracy when I'm at the range, but that's more about proper sight alignment and trigger control (and not ricocheting rounds off the floor of the range), but this seems to me a reasonable technique when only dealing with a single opponent at short range.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
In my case there were two carjackers, one was shot the other ran away

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only reliable visible area of the body that can induce an immediate incapacitation is the cranial vault via CNS failure (usually a hit to the pons/mid-brain/medulla oblongata). Any hits to the thoracic cavity or lateral pelvis can produce a delayed physiological incapacitation through blood loss, destruction of tissue or destruction of load bearing bones, however the time it takes to incapacitate can not be reliably predicted. That being said, the head is a small target and people tend to move (especially when shot at) though I would recommend everyone practice for head shots at ranges they find reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts