He saw my gun . . .

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

Eight grocery employees stabbed at Tennessee store; co-worker in custody

Police in Tennessee say a knife-wielding grocery store employee attacked eight co-workers. They say he seriously injured five of them before a bystander pulled a gun and stopped him.

The 21-year-old suspect was arrested and then taken to a hospital after complaining of chest pains. The attack apparently stemmed from a work dispute.

Five victims, one in critical condition, were admitted to a Memphis hospital. Three others were less badly hurt.

Police say the attacker was chasing one victim into the store's parking lot when he was subdued by Chris Cope, manager of a financial services office.

Cope says he grabbed a nine-millimeter semiautomatic pistol from his pickup truck. Cope told The Associated Press, "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

Police arrived within minutes and took the attacker into custody.

Dr. Kellerman, of Emory University, when reached for comment, stated, "This does not really count as a 'defensive gun use,' since the knife-wielding attacker was not actually killed."

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Uh-huh. And, most home invasions, rapes, and armed robberies perpetrated with the aid of a gun also do not count as gun crimes, because the victims were not actually killed.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Alright, alright. :) So I just made up that last sentence . . . :D

4. Malum Prohibitum

HEY!

See anything different in the two endings?

(1)
    ...Ingram, chasing one victim into the store's parking lot, was subdued by Chris Cope, manager of a financial services office in the same small shopping center, Memphis Police Sgt. Vince Higgins said.
    Cope said he grabbed a 9mm semiautomatic pistol from his pickup truck when he saw the attacker chasing the victim "like something in a serial killer movie."
    "When he turned around and saw my pistol, he threw the knife away, put his hands up and got on the ground," Cope told The Associated Press. "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

Higgins said police were pulling into the parking lot as Cope was confronting Ingram.
    "We commend him," Higgins said. "But we don't encourage people to take that kind of risk. He could have been hurt."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4064673.html

(2) USA Today's version:
    The suspect was tackled by a witness as he tried to run from the building and was held until officers arrived, (Memphis Police Sgt. Vince) Higgins said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... ucks_x.htm

:?

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

MP, the USA Today link doesn't seem to work.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Fixed.

I guess you wanted to doublecheck this time to make sure I did not change the quote?

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:lol:

Mostly, I wanted to see if USAT mentioned the gun at all. They didn't.

8. Taurus

Taurus Member

My concern is:

"Cope says he grabbed a nine-millimeter semiautomatic pistol from his pickup truck. Cope told The Associated Press, "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

It should have been on his person, they are more effective that way... :roll:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Perhaps the financial services company corporate policy forbade nine millimeters in the office?

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Yeah. Unfortunately, that's generally the rule in corporate America.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Clayton Cramer:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/200 ... 2278912310

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Is USA Today Making Stuff Up Now?

I blogged a couple of days back about how encouraging it was that national news media covered the story of how a witness retrieved a 9mm pistol from his vehicle in the parking lot, and used it to force a guy on a knifing rampage to stop. Some years ago, Dr. John Lott pointed to an incident at a law school in the Appalachians where something similar happened--and the news media "left out" the use of a gun to stop a rampage killing--a dramatic ending to a tragic story, and something that you would expect news media to want to include.

USA Today has gone one better. They didn't just "leave out" the use of the gun--they appear to have invented new details to explain what happened:

ARLINGTON, Tenn. (AP) — Eight employees were stabbed Friday by a co-worker at a Memphis suburban grocery store, and four were seriously injured, police said. The victims were identified only as six females and two males who worked at the Schnucks grocery.

Memphis Police Sgt. Vince Higgins said the man suspected in the attack was in custody after the incident that was reported at about 9:25 a.m. The suspect, whose name wasn't immediately released, was complaining of chest pains and was sent to the hospital.

The victims were identified only as six females and two males who worked at the Schnucks grocery. Higgins said officials hadn't determined a motive for the attack.

Three victims were in stable condition at St. Francis Hospital in Bartlett, a spokeswoman said. The others were sent to other area hospitals, and Higgins said four of them were in critical condition.

The suspect was tackled by a witness as he tried to run from the building and was held until officers arrived, Higgins said.

[emphasis added]

Not only is there no mention of the gun, the witness "tackled" the suspect--something that appeared in no other news account, but directly contradicts other news accounts, such as this one from AP (which is where USA Today claimed that they received their version of the story):

Ingram, chasing one victim into the store's parking lot, was subdued by Chris Cope, manager of a financial services office in the same small shopping center, Memphis Police Sgt. Vince Higgins said.

Cope said he grabbed a 9mm semiautomatic pistol from his pickup truck when he saw the attacker chasing the victim "like something in a serial killer movie."

"When he turned around and saw my pistol, he threw the knife away, put his hands up and got on the ground," Cope told The Associated Press. "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

This version of the AP story at ABC News also tells the same story--a gun, not "tackling" the guy with the knife. This article from The Scotsman has the gun--not "tackling" the guy. I can't find any version of the story--other than USA Today--that includes this apparently made up version of what happened.

posted by Clayton at 8:01 AM

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

After looking at the article again I have to say that I am really troubled by it. It reminds me of the Moore-esque technique of weaving fact and fiction in order to form a cohesive story which is then marketed as fact. Very dangerous when large portions of the population lack critcal thinking skills or have a desparate need for something to validate their unfounded beliefs. To me this seems like those ends-justify-the-means practices of the Brady cult.
    :rant:

Ok. I'm better now...

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will raise your USA Today changing of the ending with an incorrect quote of a police officer.

For the entire thing go to
    http://www.thegunblogs.com/node/215

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Wow. Certainly sounds like more that a simple misquote... :shakehead: