HD Shotgun - I finally decided what I want.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VolGrad, Sep 26, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

EDIT:

Here it is. I finally got it.

corporate pic
    [​IMG]

actual pic
    [​IMG]

The guy had it pimped out. It has the +2 tube extender, tac sling, flashlight with remote pressure switch, side saddle, custom weaver sight rail, BSA red dot, and a mac daddy bag. More pics on the last page.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Have you fired one before? I didn't think I would mind the plastic until I actually tried using my friend's for shotgun night at IDPA. Ick.

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I have the same model... sans the tacticool grip... I've been very pleased with it.

4. VolGrad

I have not fired one.

Several folks on this forum have similar models of the Benelli. I was actually offered two (different people) in trade for the Beretta I had listed. I declined but then later went back to see about buying them outright. One had sold and the other decided to keep. They both seemed to like them. I have also read good things on other forums and in magazine reviews.

What exactly did you not like? I need to know these things before I order it. Aren't most of the 870s everyone else seems to have plastic too?

5. budder

I think the plastic fore end of the Nova gets slippery really fast. It doesn't feel secure to me and I would worry about my grip the entire time. And it felt cheap. Like it might break at any time. While I doubt it would, I don't want to be lacking in confidence where my HD equipment is concerned.

Regarding the 870, I'm most familiar with wood furniture, though I didn't seem to have any trouble with Bulldawg's marine magnum, which I think has the synthetic fore end. I only fired a few rounds while standing, not under time pressure, so it's possible that I would have had a similar problem with the synthetics used on the Remington. You may not have the same problem I did, but I would highly suggest shooting one first, even if it's just a few from standing, or a round of skeet.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Get an 870 and put a 12" LOP stock on it. Trust me on this.

See if Clyde has any 870 police trade ins.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

USMC-R has this one for sale for $400, new. Not the same one as yours, though.

8. VolGrad

I looked at his but it has the long barrel. It the barrel was short I would probably get it. The camo looks cool.

Regarding the "cheap" factor. I have read a bunch of articles and posts on shotgun sites and forums. Stories of pretty brutal abuse at the hands of hunt guides and others. They have all seemed to love them. I think the overall perception is very similar to the Glocks. I read about this comparison in several articles. When Glocks came out you heard the same type of complaints or worries. Now look at 'em go.

9. VolGrad

Tell me more about this 12" LOP stock you speak of.

10. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Vol, far be it from me to question anyone's choice in weapons, but remember how difficult it was to sell that Beretta? Resale market size and recognition are important considerations if and when you might ever decide to sell the gun. Rem 870s and Mossies are known, admired and desired by 90% of the market out there while I'd venture only a very small market share belongs to the Nova.

Just my .02

11. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Bah, go classic and get a coachgun! :wink:

That's a nice looking shotgun. I'm not a huge shotty fan, and I'd prefer a short AR for HD, but that does look pretty sweet.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Standard length of pull stock on an 870 is 13", but you can easily find a 12" stock thus taking an inch off of the length of pull thus shortening the "reach".

I bought an 870 trade in from Clyde's for $179. The new complete stock sets aren't that costly.

13. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Congrats VOLGRAD on your new Criminal Behavior Repeller. She looks gorgeous.

I'm just an Old School Dinosaur with a Remington 870.

[​IMG]

It's still better than a pointed stick in the dark at 2:00 am, though.

14. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Just get a Benelli M4! :D

15. VolGrad

Nice, but too much $$$.

In doing some research, I came across this The Fighting Shotgun by Gabe Suarez. Gabe offers his experience & opinion on fighting shotguns. Good info.

As usual most on the Warrior Talk forum choose the 870. However, anytime the Benelli Nova and SuperNova shotguns were mentioned it was usually really good. There were several threads devoted to them.

I realize the 870 is a sure thing and I might have a time selling a Benelli if I decide I don't like it. However, I think I will gamble once again. I gambled on the Sig and look where that got me. Gabe's article though has got me thinking about all the accessorizing I was thinking about. I might end up with just the tube extender and a sling. The light might not make it on the SG after all. This might seem like a stupid concern to some but I have been thinking about a scenario where a light might actually be bad. I can see me making my way though my home looking for the BG. Yes, there would be low light but enough to navigate. I might want the advantage of not announcing that I am coming down the hall by shining a light. Ideally, a forearm with pressure activation would work well in this situation but they are costly. I saw a 870 with a SureFire forearm at Shuler's last week for $569. Decisions, decisions.

16. budder

Well, if you take Ken's shotgun course, you'll learn that you're not supposed to leave the :censored: light on the whole time. ;)

17. VolGrad

I still haven't taken a pistol course yet. Since I am still a beginner, I am going to try to take the Jan 5-6 Basic Handgun course. I am not quite up to speed like you "old" pros.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Login is required for that link. :(

19. VolGrad