Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It's still amazing to me how laws can be crafted, supported, worked, passed and then be erased in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It's still amazing to me how laws can be crafted, supported, worked, passed and then be erased in the blink of an eye.
It makes me sick to the stomach. So, what's a good summation to provide to my elected officials? Basically, say "NO" to erasing a bill that was passed?

·
68,100 Posts
HB 826? I can't do the research like I want where I am right now.
Plain English follows.

This is the reenactment bill. Lines 483 and following say that the OCGA adopted in 2014 is THE LAW and shall have the force and effect of law. Did the OCGA adopt HB 826 and strike the language about picking up or carrying a student in the exemption from prosecution for a person with a GWCL and a firearm on campus? No.

Therefore, the force and effect of law will be, following passage and signature of the Governor, that HB 826 does not exist.

The Code Review Commission did not put it in the OCGA, and now HB 90 says what the Code Review Commission did to us last year is THE LAW.

Please discuss. Ask questions. Propose ideas.

·
68,100 Posts
Also, go to the Previous Bills folder and read HB 826. It is a long thread. Around about page 150 or so is discussion on this very issue and SB 340, which changed by statute the effect of these cleanup bills, probably in response to Rutter v. Rutter, in which the Supreme Court said in FN 3 that what the Code Review Commission adopts plays no part in determining what the law is.

"Oh, yeah?" asked the General Assembly in a challenging tone. "Well, take this!" They slapped down the gauntlet and passed SB 340.

SB 340 says that when they do a cleanup bill the following year adopting the OCGA from the previous year, that the OCGA has the force and effect of law.

Now HB 90 is dropped in the hopper, and it readopts the OCGA from 2014, which, as you know, refused to recognize the major change from HB 826, preferring instead to keep the picking up or carrying a student restriction on the exemption from prosecution.

Go read the HB 826 thread. Get up to speed, people. This is THE big issue in Georgia and on GPDO for 2015.

Link to HB 826 thread http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=256971 Start reading at post 1,459. The one that asks, Are you paying attention? Dated Sept 4, 2014.

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
Plain English follows.
Please discuss. Ask questions. Propose ideas.
I have some ideas, but I can't post them here. I'll firgure out how I can help with this as soon as I can shake this headache I've had for several days. I'm set on Go if I need to come up there and testify.

·
68,100 Posts
IDEA #1
SB 340 and this bill violate the constitutional separation of powers.

IDEA #2
SB 340 and this bill delegate lawmaking authority to a body other than the General Assembly.

IDEA #3
Familiarize yourself with the issues and get together your 30 second elevator speech, with a basic explanation of why this bill matters. Being able to educate other GWCL holders is crucial, as is your ability to persuade your Senator and Representative (this bill is currently in the House) that there is an issue and what is that issue and why it is important.

I guarantee your Representative is not even aware there is an issue with HB 90, much less a Second Amendment issue. This is just a cleanup bill, and they pass it every year with very little or no discussion. Every. Year. Will that include 2015?

·
68,100 Posts

·
68,100 Posts
I want to apologize.

I have posted my thoughts without carefully analyzing all of this very lengthy bill.

Please see lines 503-509.

I sounded the alarm too quickly.

I will continue to study it.

Apologies.

:oops:

·
68,100 Posts
Whack a Mole - I have been sitting on the edge of my seat so long waiting with a mallet ready to strike. Anything that popped its head up looking like a mole got smacked, even if it was not a mole but looked like a mole.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I want to apologize.

I have posted my thoughts without carefully analyzing all of this very lengthy bill.

Apologies.

What are those lines saying? Are they saying "Yes, we know 826 is still up in the air and we are still going to let you challenge us on it." ?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I want to apologize.

Apologies.

Keeping it tidy (rolling synopsis)...
GA HB 90 by Wendell Willard (of the 51st)
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/HB/90

Document PDF...
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/145792.pdf

See page 16... Section 54... Lines 503-509.​

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
Whack a Mole - I have been sitting on the edge of my seat so long waiting with a mallet ready to strike. Anything that popped its head up looking like a mole got smacked, even if it was not a mole but looked like a mole.
I've kept the hammer close to hand also. Mole whacker. I've been one before. Totally understandable. Lots of pages and sections to go through with this bill. Thanks for your passion and for keeping up with all this stuff.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts