1 - 20 of 2427 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,036 Posts
'Campus carry' legislation returns to Georgia House

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/state-re...y-legislation-returns-to-georgia-house/nqDPf/

2:25 p.m. Jan. 27 by Aaron Gould Sheinin / The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The author of 2014 legislation that expanded gun rights in Georgia is back this year with another effort to legalize firearms on college campuses.
Rep. Rick Jasperse, R-Jasper, and Rep. Mandi Ballinger, R-Canton, have filed House Bill 859, which allows anyone with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for dormitories, Greek housing or at athletic events.
The bill already has dozens of co-sponsors,

·
Swollen Member
11,886 Posts
I don't see my rep's, Stacey Abrams, signature on that one. :cry:

I should probably try to buy her lunch again. ;-)

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,727 Posts
I don't see my rep, Nan Orrock listed. I will reach out to her, but will not hold my breath.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see my rep, Nan Orrock listed. I will reach out to her, but will not hold my breath.
She's senate not house.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Prohibiting carry in campus housing and at athletic events seems that it would limit the effectiveness of this bill to just removing the campus "gotcha." Prohibiting carry in campus housing has the effect of making the entire thing negligible for students.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Prohibiting carry in campus housing and at athletic events seems that it would limit the effectiveness of this bill to just removing the campus "gotcha." Prohibiting carry in campus housing has the effect of making the entire thing negligible for students.
I will politely disagree. There are LOTS of students that attend these "off limit" locations and DO NOT live on campus. It's not the entire enchilada, but at least it's something...and hopefully something other than the mess that was created last year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I will politely disagree. There are LOTS of students that attend these "off limit" locations and DO NOT live on campus. It's not the entire enchilada, but at least it's something...and hopefully something other than the mess that was created last year.
I agree that is is a good start. I just feel that still having the "off-limits" areas waters it down, especially for students who may live on campus.

The big unknown right now (as we don't yet have the text) is if the bill contains any provisions preventing public universities from administratively prohibiting student possession (as many currently do).

·
Just a Man
6,036 Posts
In general, 21 yo college students do not live in on-campus dormitories. They could or might still live on campus, but in non-university owned housing.

·
Just a Man
6,036 Posts
The exceptions highlight the fact that the problem is still within the GOP.
This is absolutely true. It's written this way to be more palatable to GOP Senators and Deal most likely. GA Dems are not the reason we don't have campus carry and real Constitutional carry.

A strategy we have used in the past is to get our foot in the door, which is how we got Restaurants that serve alcohol and Bar carry. Get in, a year goes by and nothing bad happens, then we get the rest of it. It's not ideal, but in the end we get it all.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
A strategy we have used in the past is to get our foot in the door, which is how we got X, Y and Z. Get in, a year goes by and nothing bad happens, then we get the rest of it. It's not ideal, but in the end we get it all.
Where have I heard that before? Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Glad to see this bill coming around again. Hopefully it can clean up some of the mess that was made last year.

Where have I heard that before? Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. :mrgreen:
Incrementalism certainly can and will continue to be used on both sides of the gun debate--and for either side it's a much more palatable option than the end goal of either side (ie not even all R's want to see Constitutional Carry, and not all D's want to see outright confiscation).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would like to throw out there for discussion the phrase " buildings or property used for athletic sporting events or student housing,
18 including, but not limited to, fraternity and sorority houses" in lines 17-18.

Thoughts:

1. "Athletic Sporting Event" should be very specifically defined as the University and/or BoR will define any hallway or room in any Building and area where Athletic Sporting Event could take place.

2. "Student housing" same as above. Students COULD be housed in classrooms, auditoriums etc in the POTENTIAL event of a disaster (as an example).

3. "Fraternity and Sorority Houses". In many universities, fraternal organizations meet on campus in lieu of a Fraternity and Sorority House. Unless defined, BoR could make the stretch. Also at many schools, Fraternity and Sorority House reside off campus yet are university sanctioned. Will this bill expand the boundaries of gun free zones while the intent is to limit.

4. Is there a prohibition on the Board of Regents from merely ignoring this law as they have done in the past?

5. Is there a prohibition on the Codes Authority prohibiting them from not codifying this law as has been don in the past?

I saw all this as a father with a daughter attending a dangerous Atlanta urban campus where she is forced by law to be disarmed.

I would like and have written my uncaring uber-liberal legislator my concerns.

For the safety of all, this law needs to be air-tight.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Law needs teeth. Something like liquidated damages at $10K per incident plus legal fees, payable by the individual regents, for interfering with this right. Interference includes any attempt to sanction students via internal university processes.

1 - 20 of 2427 Posts