Georgia Packing banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Governor...

"Section 4 of HB 1060 is an encroachment on the peace and tranquility of those who attend houses of worship because they can no longer have the time-honored assurance that they are in a protected place that is free of weapons and long guns.

Uh...wut?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
well we see who paid for this ardent supporter of the second amendment to bend over and take it after he is out office. It must be a great gig.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Man, Bloomberg must own Deal.
Speaking of Bloomberg, here's a quote from his commencement address at the University of Michigan.
"The most important knowledge that you will leave here today with, like the importance of team work, has nothing to do with your major. It is about how to study, how to cooperate, how to listen carefully, how to think critically, and how to resolve conflicts through reason. In other words, it is working with others. Those are the most important skills in the working world, and it's why colleges have always exposed students to challenging and uncomfortable ideas. The fact that some university boards and administrations now bow to pressure groups, and shield students from these ideas through safe spaces, code words, and trigger warnings, is in my view a terrible mistake."
Maybe he was thinking about how Deal crumbled.

"The whole purpose of college is to learn how to deal with difficult situations, not to run away from them. A micro aggression is exactly that, micro. But in a macro sense, one of the most dangerous places on a college campus is the so-called safe space because it creates a false impression that we can isolate ourselves from those who hold different views. We can't, and we shouldn't try. Not in politics, or in the workplace."
False impression of GFZ?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
Well, GCO's supporters and lobbyists who drafted this bill really over-reached on the church carry issue, gutting the existing law and rendering it a paper tiger. If we had gotten away with it, great, I'd be pleased.
We should have no direct criminal gun law for carry at churches, when other private entities must rely on the criminal trespass law.

But.. Gov Deal was clued-in to the effect this bill would have.
We did not manage to slip this one under the radar, even if the mainstream media didn't make an issue out of it.

Given that Gov Deal thinks that gun restrictions in church make people safer in church, this veto is predictable.

If we make Natan Deal our enemy, we can expect him to advocate for gun bans at bars, theaters, parks, sporting events, and all public buildings. Because people deserve to be protected by gun bans in such locations, too.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,602 Posts
If we make Natan Deal our enemy, we can expect him to advocate for gun bans at bars, theaters, parks, sporting events, and all public buildings. Because people deserve to be protected by gun bans in such locations, too.
We didn't make him the enemy. He did that all on his own. There should be no reason to treat him as anything other than what he is: hostile to the notion of freedom.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
Well, then I'm your enemy too. I won't support constitutional carry as many people here envision it. (Any weapon, any location, no permit, anonymously and no questions asked).
If I'm the Governor and you put a constitutional carry bill on my desk, are you going to declare me your enemy for just wanting to keep the GWL license scheme?
Do you want me writing you and your gun groups off as a bunch of hardcore nuts to be mocked and ridiculed, with no impact on the legislative process?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
He did it with HB826, HB859 & HB1060.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,602 Posts
Well, then I'm your enemy too. I won't support constitutional carry as many people here envision it. (Any weapon, any location, no permit, anonymously and no questions asked).
If I'm the Governor and you put a constitutional carry bill on my desk, are you going to declare me your enemy for just wanting to keep the GWL license scheme?
Do you want me writing you and your gun groups off as a bunch of hardcore nuts to be mocked and ridiculed, with no impact on the legislative process?
That's not what he did and you know it.

·
Swollen Member
11,893 Posts
Well, then I'm your enemy too.
No, no. You didn't sell 2A supporters a false bill of promises in exchange for their votes and then betray those constituents in the eleventh hour, but feel free to run for governor if you like.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
Gov. Deal has made his feelings about church carry and school carry known for years, right?
Even if it wasn't so public until this year, he did tell GCO's lobbyists and pro-gun allies in the House and Senate, right?
Did Deal lie to us?
Did he ever say he would always support every pro-gun law he would ever encounter in the future?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
The NRA needs to downgrade his grade, though.
Not just for these vetoes, but for arguing that unenforceable gun bans (without any security to ensure compliance with the ban) still make people safer. That thinking is totally incompatible with gun carry rights.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,951 Posts
Did Deal lie to us?
I argue "Yes":

"We heard all the hype that we're now hearing about campus carry, all the predictions of tragedies. All the predictions that we were going to open our state up to a Wild West scenario. Those earlier fears don't appear to have come true. So, therefore, to use those kind of arguments with the campus carry discussion, I think lacks validity."
-- Governor Nathan Deal, AJC, February 29, 2016

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,739 Posts
UH Yes, You are going to require me to undergo a background check and get the authority of the Probate Court to carry as 2A permits.

So a license to vote by a land owner, citizen of Ga, over age 21?

And all the rest you you have already heard.

If you believe that is applicable, do as you deem proper. Remind me to never vote for you for any elected office where you are a candidate in the area I live.

Nemo

·
Swollen Member
11,893 Posts
The NRA needs to downgrade his grade, though.
They foolishly wasted $400,000 on his 2010 election campaign. I doubt they'll quit acting the fool.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I argue "Yes":

"We heard all the hype that we're now hearing about campus carry, all the predictions of tragedies. All the predictions that we were going to open our state up to a Wild West scenario. Those earlier fears don't appear to have come true. So, therefore, to use those kind of arguments with the campus carry discussion, I think lacks validity."
But in "college" daycares, parents may not be able to control themselves. What if some toddler spits up on them? It could happen you know.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,695 Posts
Perfect, and thank you! Just the quote I was looking for to use in my upcoming blog article.

I argue "Yes":

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
They foolishly wasted $400,000 on his 2010 election campaign. I doubt they'll quit acting the fool.
You mean like giving Vernon Jones an A rating?

·
Swollen Member
11,893 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,695 Posts
Will there be a revival of the Omnibus Gun Bill (HB 1060) to clarify and/or decriminalize carry locations such as public parks and airports that are leased by private entities for Fairs, Airshows, and other events...and school grounds for weapons other than firearms, like what HB 826 tried to fix? As well as church carry?

Or do we have to keep going through this mess of lawsuits that threatens to weaken state preemption?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,018 Posts
HB 292 is an omnibus pro-gun bill that has some of 1060's provisions in it.
And Vernon Jones is a co-sponsor!
(Maybe the NRA knew what it was doing with those big campaign contributions, eh?

281 - 300 of 301 Posts