HB 89 Would Make Tragedy Inevitable

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Four letters to the editor in today's AJC, all negative.

One is from a Unitarian Universalist congregation "minister emeritus."

:puke:

I do not recall a single positive letter in support of HB 89. Roll Call: Who here has written a concise letter in support of HB 89?

Like it or not, AJC is the major paper here in Atlanta. If you don't write them, the press will be entirely left to people with more time on their hands than you, like Unitarian ministers and people who left all gainful employment to crusade, as a full time occupation, against your right to keep and bear arms (like the lady who is Georgians for Gun Safety).

Posting here only gets your view read by those who already agree with you. It is time to convince people outside your circle.

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yep.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Writing a short essay is a task at which a college student should be quite good. :wink:

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I've emailed my Senator on 89 & 6 but I can't get to AJC during the day to email em.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would not be averse to writing one seeing as how I have nothing due early next week; but do you honestly think that it would be published?

7. Malum Prohibitum

If you don't wait too long, yes.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I know they have published at least one such letter in the past (the author being a member of this forum), so it is at least not unheard of.

There is a word limit though, so don't write 2 pages when they will only accept a half a page.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Do you know the exact word count?

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

a whopping 150 word limit

11. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Here's what I wrote, a bit above 150 but what the heck

In reading the AJC opinion piece and the letters to the editors, it appears that not much research was conducted when composing these opinions.
    The new gun law changes one thing, it allows non-GFL holders to keep a firearm anywhere in their vehicle. Currently the law states that anyone who is not prohibited from owning a firearm can keep a loaded one in the glove box, center console, or in plain view on the seat. It becomes tiresome to listen to opinions that paint gun owners as a group of loose cannons waiting to shot anyone they encounter or about the impending doom from proposed legislation because neither is true.
    Of course there are crazy people out there, some use guns, others use knives, poison, bats, cars or airplanes and we call these people criminals; they don't obey the laws. Yes, there are accidental shooting of children, very tragic, yet according to the CDC, more children die from accidental drowning. Should we put restrictions on bathtubs and pools? James Simon laments that the General Assembly will not honor Coretta Scott King yet he is probably unaware that the root of gun control laws in Georgia are laws that were enacted to make it impossible for blacks to own firearms. Where is the outrage over that?
    Guns are amoral, neither good nor bad. They can be used to kill the innocent or protect the innocent, so let’s start laying blame at the person, not the object. If you are interested in learning about Georgia laws visit www.georgiapacking.org and www.georgiacarry.org so you can make informed opinions instead of spewing rhetoric that makes you appear ignorant.

12. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Overall positive and to the point. :D