Georgiapacking.org banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,676 Posts
Probably not.

It's likely they just pulled a bunch of pictures off the internet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had Han Solo's blaster or Chewbacca's crossbow.
Ban them. Require surrender to authorities. I do not care.

I will not comply.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I have first-hand knowledge that some of the signers were rushed into supporting this bill without being made aware of the extent of the provisions in the bill until the public presentation of the bill.

This is to say, don't give up on your legislators even if they did cosign. Keep a cool head, make or strengthen those friendships, and keep working on them.

·
Swollen Member
11,887 Posts
I have first-hand knowledge that some of the signers were rushed into supporting this bill without being made aware of the extent of the provisions in the bill until the public presentation of the bill.

This is to say, don't give up on your legislators even if they did cosign. Keep a cool head, make or strengthen those friendships, and keep working on them.
Who cares? The bill is DOA anyway. Why waste any more time worrying about it?

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts

I'm thinking that maybe I should not lend my support to a legislator who can be "rushed into supporting this any bill without being made aware of the extent of the provisions in the a bill", but that's just me.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe I should not lend my support to a legislator who can be "rushed into supporting this any bill without being made aware of the extent of the provisions in the a bill", but that's just me.
On the one hand you have part time legislators that have to trust input from their friends and peers. On the other hand you have HB 826...

Specifically in keeping this on topic for HB 731 though, some legislators that signed on might not feel like they were dealt with squarely. Be calm, polite, friendly, and understanding about it and let them explain and walk them through the 4A and 5A implications. Yes this bill is dead but the power struggle behind the scenes is where to focus and win allies.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

They should still be taken to task.

I remember being taught at a very early age not to sign anything I had not read and understood completely, otherwise you've got no room to complain because it was your fault for not reading: if the thing is too large to read conveniently, or too complex to understand, don't sign it until you DO understand it. Every landlord I've ever had has been astounded by the fact that I read each and every line of the ENTIRE lease agreement, ask questions, and take notes, and will not sign or initial ANYTHING until I've read the agreement in its entirety. I do the same with auto loans and everything else I put my name to, especially when it is legally binding.

Simply put, if they allowed themselves to be rushed or hurried into signing a piece of legislation they didn't understand or fully support, for WHATEVER REASON, they are a bad political representative who has no place claiming authority to represent the people, who most assuredly want a representative that actually carries out basic due diligence.

This is how we got Obamacare (people signing bills they hadn't actually read), and it's by similar disinterest, sloth, laziness, etc., that our Republic and our liberties are eroded, year after year after year. Eroded by weak-minded or unprincipled people who can't be bothered to be responsible for themselves or anything else, much less to actually take time out of their day to read something of genuine importance - you know, like LAWS that can get people fined, imprisoned or killed - instead of watching Game of Thrones or nattering away on Twitter, or whatever the hell else they do from day to day that we, the taxpayers, pay them FAR too much to do, for far too little in return.

I'd rather a representative NOT sign 10 "good bills" than sign a single bad one. Heck, I'd rather a representative who went 20 years in office without signing a single bill than one who signs whatever feels good, whatever appeases their agenda or dogma or their political connections. I'd far rather a government that does too little, than one that does too much. After all, this is a government whose justice system is all too comfortable with the harm done by the ridiculous principle that

Justice Louis Brandeis said:
"[...] it is more important that the applicable rule of law be settled than that it be settled right."
The above is an absolutely ridiculous notion that couldn't possibly survive a test of reasoned debate, especially when we consider the amount of harm a wrongly or improperly settled matter of law can bring about.

We are, after all, talking here about a government all too happy to pass so many laws they themselves can't count the total number of possible felony crimes, who passes more and more laws every year, but almost never repeals them, because to repel a law requires them to surrender power and authority. Personally, I believe it is philosophically and ethically far preferable that a matter not be settled at all until it is settled RIGHT, than allow for the harm and damages that result from when a matter is settled wrongly and allowed to become precedent, where it remains no less wrong: far more harm is done by settling the matter wrongly than could ever come about while waiting for the matter to be settled correctly.

Then, once it becomes precedent, it becomes that much more difficult to fix the "settlement" of the matter ("because it's settled", they will say), and more and more harm is done as time passes: the war on drugs is a perfect example. Rather than take the time for debate and transparency and settling the matter RIGHT, within the bounds of the Constitution, politicians and judges felt it was more important to settle the matter quickly, and so settle it they did, as befit the agendas and beliefs of a few, to the detriment of the many.

Simply put, signing to support legislation you haven't read because you like the title or because a friend or powerful political party member told you to is unequivocally and incontrovertibly malfeasance, and should be an impeachable offense, or at the very least one that triggers a recall vote. We just don't need people like that in office, because chances are they and their indifference will do far more harm than they ever will any good.

Thomas Jefferson said:
I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

·
68,114 Posts
They should still be taken to task.

I remember being taught at a very early age not to sign anything I had not read and understood completely, otherwise you've got no room to complain because it was your fault for not reading: if the thing is too large to read conveniently, or too complex to understand, don't sign it until you DO understand it. Every landlord I've ever had has been astounded by the fact that I read each and every line of the ENTIRE lease agreement, ask questions, and take notes, and will not sign or initial ANYTHING until I've read the agreement in its entirety. I do the same with auto loans and everything else I put my name to, especially when it is legally binding.

Simply put, if they allowed themselves to be rushed or hurried into signing a piece of legislation they didn't understand or fully support, for WHATEVER REASON, they are a bad political representative who has no place claiming authority to represent the people, who most assuredly want a representative that actually carries out basic due diligence.
Taking them to task and telling them they are a bad legislator does not help. Sitting down and discussing your concerns over the confiscation bill to which they signed on may have a great effect, ESPECIALLY so if you put in the work to make a new friend prior to the legislative session starting.

The other stuff is just ranting and venting. Nobody much listens to people who rant and vent. They will just sit there and think, damn, I am glad this nut job does not have an assault weapon!

·
68,114 Posts

I believe that there is a procedure for removing their name from the bill. If I were made aware of the extent of the provisions that I did not support, I would get my name off of it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Maybe we should just refer to them as nut jobs? You know, in an effort to win them over to our side.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just want to scream each time i hear her say her percentages 57% assalt weapons ban and 80% for stricter gun control. as i hava stated ealier.... you have not presented me or anyone i know any polls on which to vote. you are picking and choosing and calling it fact... phewy on you liar!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Is there a way in Georgia to do a recall on Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver (D-Decatur)?

She is in my district and it makes me sick that she always runs unopposed on my ballet!
Is this you?
http://www.brianwestlake.com/

If not seek out his thoughts, though if it's similar to Mary's go ahead and vote for her. She is gold for us.

·
Swollen Member
11,887 Posts
Is there a way in Georgia to do a recall on Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver (D-Decatur)?

She is in my district and it makes me sick that she always runs unopposed on my ballet!

Nice hair. I'm jealous.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://gunsensega.org/legislation/

LEGISLATION WE SUPPORT
With the current makeup of the state legislature, some of these bills will probably never get a hearing. That being said GunSense Georgia believes in a proactive approach to gun safety in Georgia as polls have shown overwhelming support for much of this legislation by the citizens of Georgia. In examining below, you will see that much of the legislation proposed since 2014 seeks to repeal particular provisions of HB60 known even nationally as the GUNS EVERYWHERE bill.
HB 731 Crimes and offenses; certain assault weapons; prohibit possession and sale
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/HB/731
This bill was introduced on 1/11/16 by Rep Mary Margaret Oliver and has been assigned to Public Safety and Homeland Security. No hearing scheduled yet. It would make certain classifications of assault weapons, high capacity magazines (holding more than 10 rounds), and armor piercing (cop killer) bullets illegal and would call for mandatory surrender or confiscation of assault weapons. In Mary Margaret’s own words, “You don’t need an AK47 to kill a deer or defend your family.†Georgia Carry and other pro-gun organizations see this as a first step in confiscating all guns. It is not and was federal law from 1994 until 2004 when President Bush and the Republican controlled Congress did not renew it. Rep Oliver stated in a recent press conference that this bill is written to pass the judicial muster of similar laws on the books in seven other states. A video clip from the press
bold mine

Odd that my guns and mags weren't confiscated.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
Sometime just after 1994 I was able to buy three Glock 15 round magazines, but instead of the usual $20, they cost $90 each.

Clinton's bill obviously did not include any prohibition on the sale, purchase, or possession of these items. It just kept poor people from getting them.

Mary Margaret Oliver's bill actually does have confiscation, as well as penalties for refusing to destroy them or turn them over to government authorities.

I hope she reads this to learn that even if a bill like this ever passed, I would not surrender my property. If she wants it, she can come get it. But I have a feeling she would send others with guns to do her dirty work.

http://gunsensega.org/legislation/

bold mine

Odd that my guns and mags weren't confiscated.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Sometime just after 1994 I was able to buy three Glock 15 round magazines, but instead of the usual $20, they cost $90 each.

Clinton's bill obviously did not include any prohibition on the sale, purchase, or possession of these items. It just kept poor people from getting them.

Mary Margaret Oliver's bill actually does have confiscation, as well as penalties for refusing to destroy them or turn them over to government authorities.

I hope she reads this to learn that even if a bill like this ever passed, I would not surrender my property. If she wants it, she can come get it. But I have a feeling she would send others with guns to do her dirty work.
Phil she knows exactly what this bill does. GunsenseGA is hiding what the bill does deliberately.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts