181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Phil1979 said:
I hope she reads this to learn that even if a bill like this ever passed, I would not surrender my property. If she wants it, she can come get it. But I have a feeling she would send others with guns to do her dirty work.
I bet those guys will carry what they are trying to steal from others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was listening to the Kimmer on 106.7 on the day this was introduced, and Pete Davis (his sports guy) recounted his run-ins with her from the days he worked at the Capitol in the House Information Office. He said that nearly every legislator was gracious, or at least respectful to the staffers who helped them carry out their responsibilities. The one exception? Mary-Margaret Oliver.

The subsequent mockery of her that's happened on the Kimmer show ever since has been hilarious.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Can we get a friendly rep. to insert an amendment requiring that:

1.) the vote on the bill must be recorded, and,

2.) that all confiscation/surrender demands must be issued individually, in person, by at least one or more of the representatives who sponsored or voted for the bill.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Can we get a friendly rep. to insert an amendment requiring that:

1.) the vote on the bill must be recorded, and,

2.) that all confiscation/surrender demands must be issued individually, in person, by at least one or more of the representatives who sponsored or voted for the bill.
This bill was dead the day it dropped. It was buried on crossover and the only thing keeping it a memory past sine die is people wanting stuff out of it. Let it stay dead. It doesn't need to be memorialized. Don't give it a headstone.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
It will stay dead for the foreseeable future, but it does need a headstone to remind everyone what the Democrats want to do to us.

We all know anyway, but this is something tangible we can all point to here in our own back yard.

HB 731 will forever be Mary Margaret Oliver's and the other sponsors' legacy until they repudiate it.

This bill was dead the day it dropped. It was buried on crossover and the only thing keeping it a memory past sine die is people wanting stuff out of it. Let it stay dead. It doesn't need to be memorialized. Don't give it a headstone.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
“It is time for a discussion â€" at a minimum, at least a discussion,†said Oliver, who said she’s looking for a Republican co-sponsor.
“It was illegal for the murderer to carry his firearm into the bar in Florida. My guess is that several more laws were broken by this murderer as well,†said Henry. “This begs the question: What did these laws do to protect these innocent people? Answer: nothing.â€
There is your discussion.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
There is your discussion.
Tweet exchange worth repeating. Rather pithy.

Neil deGrasse TysonVerified account@neiltysonJun 12
Odd how many Americans invoke the 2nd Amendment to justify gun ownership, rather than explore whether or not it's a good idea
Kilgore Trout@Beer__Wolf[URL="https://twitter.com/Beer__Wolf/status/742360465892888577]Jun 13[/URL]
Kilgore Trout Retweeted Neil deGrasse Tyson
Odd how you refuse to let me saddle you & ride you like a horse, rather than explore whether or not it's a good idea

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
<A href="https://www.facebook.com/marymoliver?fref=nf">Mary Margaret Oliverhttps://www.facebook.com/marymoliver?fref=nf

9 mins · https://www.facebook.com/marymoliver/posts/10153716343871274#

Like all of us, I have experienced this week again the horrific impact of the mass killings in Orlando at the hands of a lone shooter, resulting in the greatest number of victims in the history of the United States---the photographs, films, and emotional interviews of those who survived. Heartbreaking. It is so tragic, and so senseless. Again, again, and again, the pattern is the same--first the shock and horror of remorseless killing, then the expressions of support and sympathy, of thoughts and prayers, and then the political response. Donald Trump seeking congratulations for being "right" to warn of deadly enemies was a new low, but both the tone and substance of the political voices are familiar and repetitive, and result in very little, if any, action.
I have been called this week by reporters, and been part of the political discussion, and the questions to me relate to my filing HB 731 this past January to ban assault type weapons. I am hopeful, and will continue to press for a rational discussion on ways to curb the 33,000 deaths per year from gun violence. The Courts are addressing and enforcing assault weapon bans in other states, and the debate will continue, and I want Georgia to be part of the discussion. I INTEND TO FILE AGAIN, FOR THE 2017 SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY, A BILL TO BAN ASSAULT TYPE WEAPONS, and whether you support or not the proposal, I hope you will join me in asking for an open, rational and bipartisan debate on gun violence deaths and how to reduce senseless killing. Thank you for your interest.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.decaturish.com/2016/06/r...-assault-weapons-bill-after-orlando-massacre/

"I plan to refile, and I want a Republican co-sponsor," Oliver said. "We have to have a rational discussion, and it needs to be bipartisan."
When she first proposed the bill, Georgia Carry Executive Director Jerry Henry predicted it would not go anywhere.
"It's a bill that the gun grabbers in just about every state wants to pass, but I don't think they're going to have much luck here," Henry told Decaturish. "For one thing, there's really no description of an assault weapon. Your hands are an assault weapon. Anything you can pick up and harm somebody with is an assault weapon."
COMMENT:
jellysblues Eva Shaw4 days ago
Driving is a privilege that is heavily regulated. Maybe we should try something similar with guns.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
If a 6-shot revolver is used to rob and shoot someone, would that be considered an assault? An awful lot more of these are used in crimes than rifles. Why is Mary Margaret Oliver not calling for their confiscation also? If guns=crime, what is her excuse?

See Mary, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. Why don't you come here to explain yourself?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
If a 6-shot revolver is used to rob and shoot someone, would that be considered an assault? An awful lot more of these are used in crimes than rifles. Why is Mary Margaret Oliver not calling for their confiscation also? If guns=crime, what is her excuse?
?
Well that's the 3rd step.
1.)scary looking rifles
Mass shootings not impacted
2.)semiautomatic guns
Crime increases
3.)revolvers/lever operated/everything else
Media no longer reports crime so it never happened

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Compromise never ends until it's all gone.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
From MMO email:

Ban on Assault Type Weapons Bill

With the encouragement and help of many, I have decided to again introduce legislation to ban the sale in Georgia of assault type weapons and high capacity magazines in the 2017 Session. I am gathering co-sponsors and supporters to this legislation, and making some modifications from HB 731, which I filed during the 2016 Session. Thank you for your continued positive interest in the issue of reducing gun violence. I anticipate meetings and public discussions on this 2017 legislative project and hope you will attend and participate.
AND.....

And the biggest news of the Summer is the arrival of new family member HENRY! A lot of trouble but very cute.

So she named her dog after Jerry? LOL!

·
GCO Life Member
88 Posts
I have very serious concerns where should such a bill ever get passed, it would turn all of Georgia into a "gun free zone" and in doing so allow the criminal element to kill more freely than they already do in Chicago!

I have been referred to as a "Constitutional Originalist" by a number of people, but I firmly believe two things about the Framers of our Constitution.

First, the Framers very carefully chose each and every word that is written into that document. Second, the Bill of Rights is ordered deliberately to indicate the rights that the Framers held most dearly.

I believe that the most important rights as viewed by the Framers are in the lowest numbered Amendments. Therefore, I believe that they held the right to free speech and free expression of their religion as the most dear. The right "to keep and bear arms" as the very next and almost as dear as the first.

I also believe that the 10th Amendment is where it is for a reason and when you take the wording of the 2nd Amendment in the context of the 10th Amendment, it seems quite clear that the Framers meant for the Federal and State Governments to "not infringe" upon the "right of the people to keep and bear arms" because in the actual words of the 2nd Amendment the Framers assign the right to the People and indicate their desire that the right "shall not be infringed"!

In this context, HB 731 and the one Mary Margaret Oliver is promising to introduce in the 2017 session, are unconstitutional because they infringe upon a right that the Framers explicitly assigned to the People and the 10th Amendment prohibits either the Federal or State governments from infringing!

My $0.02 worth.
:wink:

181 - 200 of 200 Posts