Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bill was moved today (1/12) from the House Hopper to the
Public Safety/Homeland Security Committee...

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/HB/731

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the O.C.G.A., relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices, so as to prohibit the possession, sale, transport, distribution, or use of certain assault weapons, large capacity magazines, armor-piercing bullets, and incendiary .50 caliber bullets; to provide for crimes involving the possession, sale, transport, distribution, or use of certain assault weapons, large capacity magazines, armor-piercing bullets, and incendiary .50 caliber bullets; to provide for criminal penalties; to designate certain weaponry and ammunition as contraband and to require seizure of such by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It could be entitled "an act to imprison every gun owner in GA".

What's really scary is the Fudds who would go along.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Well at least you have an honest gun-grabber. None of this "Common-Sense Gun Violence Reduction" BS, which nobody actually believes.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Wrote my senator about it, he replied already:

Happy New Year! Not to worry, that bill is DOA...

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,676 Posts
What about those folks who feed Mr. Barrett incendiaries? They may be those persons (high terrorist profile score) who would probably not turn those incendiaries in to the police. That could cause some difficulties for GBI when they had to come seize those things.

Nemo

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
What about those folks who feed Mr. Barrett incendiaries? They may be those persons (high terrorist profile score) who would probably not turn those incendiaries in to the police. That could cause some difficulties for GBI when they had to come seize those things.

Nemo
Based on that list of "assault rifles" in the bill (which looks unsurprisingly similar to the new federal HR 4269 assault weapons bill), Mr. Barrett will have a lot of company.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
"To require seizure by the GBI"????
Har Har, hardy-har-har-har.

Uhurrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Derp.

Like THAT will ever happen. Even IF this bill had a snowballs chance in the solar umbra of passing (which I seriously doubt it does), there's no more of a chance of such forcible seizure occurring here than there was in CT and New York, neither of which enjoy popular citizen support of firearms and gun culture like GA does, yet neither state managed to actually successfully enforce such similar laws. Also unlike either of those states, we don't have a registry of firearms or their owners.

Once again, someone needs to remind these empty-headed yahoos that crimes are almost never committed with the kinds of weapons and ammo they're wanting to ban here, making it just an unnecessary and unsupportable infringement on our rights for no provable - or even plausible - reduction in crime.

All while they continue to ignore the fact that DUI kills just as many people - and far more children - every year than homicides with firearms do, even though there is no constitutional right to alcohol or its public consumption: even money says at least 2 of the 6 co-sponsors has driven drunk at least once in their adult life. But no, can't do anything about THAT because it's not as emotionally charged and easily to manipulate people about.

(FWIW, while I think DUI offenders need to be more harshly treated and the sources of DUI offenders {ala, bars} need to be more closely scrutinized, I don't *actually* think the federal government has any more business regulating alcohol than anything else that doesn't have an actual, direct victim who suffered provable harm.)

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Some of this bill is simply hilarious.

(e) Any person who uses an assault weapon in the commission of a felony or who, by words or conduct, represents that he or she is armed with such assault weapon during such commission of a felony shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than eight nor more ten years.
If while robing a store, you call your revolver an "assault weapon", it is a 8-10 year felony. :rotfl:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Once again, someone needs to remind these empty-headed yahoos that crimes are almost never committed with the kinds of weapons and ammo they're wanting to ban here, making it just an unnecessary and unsupportable infringement on our rights for no provable - or even plausible - reduction in crime.
I don't think it's a even matter of being reminded. It's not about saving lives, the infringement is what they want. It's an outright attack on law abiding people, with the "stop gun violence" charade as an excuse.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Mary Margaret Oliver ‏@mmo_mary 20h20 hours ago
My bill HB 731 banning assault weapons. Press conference THURSDAY, 2 PM, south Rotunda. Join us!
@DarshunKendrick Jan 11
I just signed on to a bill sponsored by Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver to ban assault rifles in Georgia. Time to lose Facebook friends. #GGA2016
They are trolling us. Fishing for an over-reaction.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...onday.html?soid=1114968672874&aid=A-PhOhDNrhs

Assault weapons research and proposed bill
At the request of constituents, I am preparing legislation to ban assault weapons based on enactments from other states that the federal courts have declared to be constitutional and not violative of the 2nd Amendment. My goal, at a minimum, is to have a debate, and for someone to explain to me why assault weapons may be necessary to hunt Georgia deer. Stay tuned.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Kinda like why did Rosa Parks find it necessary to sit in the front seat of the bus.

·
68,114 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Who does these tweets? You? Excellent response. Measured, understated, but clearly makes the point.
Three folks are involved, mostly one person handles it(not me, although I did write that one thanks). It's an odd process, some good ones never see light(ticks off others sometimes), but we all understand we represent the group.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts