HB 7 - Car Carry

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

MP have you heard anything lately on this bill? I hope it becomes a law, but im just wondering how long that whole process will take. thanks buddy, :righton:

3. Malum Prohibitum

:lol: I see I am not the only one with the patience of a three year old.

The bill is "prefiled." The legislative session has not yet started, so there is nothing that can be done to the bill one way or the other. Prefiling is good, however, as it gives it a head start.

Some bills lose out simply because they do not get enought ime to work their way through the procedures in both chambers.

4. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

I have very bad patience regarding things that NEED to be done. :cheers: Do you know if it will be on tv, or somewhere online where I can watch it when or if it does come on? I checked the GPB website where a link that says you can watch the Georgia General Assembly but im not sure if the bill will be discussed in Georgia or will it go to Washington. :roll: I guess you can say I dont know a whole lot about what goes on where. :)

5. Malum Prohibitum

Online! You will learn everything as it becomes available right here or at GCO. In the meantime, inform your representative if you want him to support HB 7. How else is he going to know what you want? :D

The general path of a bill in Atlanta is to be assigned to a committee. Then about one half of the committee, called a subcommittee, will hear it (once it is secheduled) and, if they vote to pass it, it goes on to the full committee to be heard and voted upon again. The enemies of the bill will of course have learned their lessons from the hearing in the subcommittee and come better prepared. You can speak at either of these hearings. The bill can also be amended.

If the full committee votes for it, then it goes to Rules. Then Rules may or may not send it to the floor for a vote. If they do, then the entire House votes on it. If successful, then the bill goes over to the Senate, and the whole process starts over again.

That is the nutshell version.

6. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

:bowdown: :righton: thanks for explaining that to me MP!

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Subcommittee hearings are usually not broadcasted, typically only the full committee meetings and assembly meetings are. And if it was like it was last year, the audio is sometimes very poor.

They are also nice enough to give public notice a day or 2 before a meeting is to be held. So you need to have a flexible schedule if you want to attend.