9,458 Posts
Reactions: TimBob

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,037 Posts
We have talked about this in the past, and iirc 16-11-127 does not give the House of Worship leader/leaders the ability to be so exclusive in deciding who gets to carry.

"*(4)*In a place of worship, unless the governing body or authority of the place of worship permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;"

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
We have talked about this in the past, and iirc 16-11-127 does not give the House of Worship leader/leaders the ability to be so exclusive in deciding who gets to carry.

"*(4)*In a place of worship, unless the governing body or authority of the place of worship permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;"
Thanks, as it should be*. A lot of bad information going around from signs carry weight to getting to pick individuals who can defend themselves in church.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,456 Posts
"it gives"?

:-k Does someone need to explain God given rights to the pastor?
Where is the "Like" button?
You can't have "gun-control" without "control". So, individuals shouldn't have control of their own destiny? The Pastor wants to control who gets to defend themselves.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.cbs46.com/story/36783655/metro-atlanta-pastors-discuss-security-at-churches

"Because of Georgia's opt-out law, its guns everywhere law, we had to post this sign," says Rev. Warnock.
You can see similar signs at Rev. Kim Jackson's All Saints' Episcopal Church in midtown Atlanta.
When asked if she could see how some people might say that people with guns are needed in case something breaks out until police arrive, Rev. Jackson said, "Sure. So on our campus, we do have security who are here during church hours, before and after, who do carry guns, actually. Our policy is, you have to be in uniform to have a gun on you."
"I have to say I found it ironic that as I went down to the Capitol to lobby against this terrible law, the only way I could get into the Capitol was to go through a metal detector," says Rev. Warnock. "So, I would say to our state legislators that if they truly believe the answer to massive gun violence is guns everywhere, they ought to try it out a the Capitol."
For 10 years from 1994-2004, our country had the assault weapons ban. Rev. Warnock says Congress needs to have the courage to bring it back.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I emailed the reporter on the 13WMAZ.com story. He emailed me back asking about more information. I referred him to GCO and this website's "laws in plain English." It looks like they have corrected the story. I pointed out to him that a single person (a Catholic Archbishop) can ban guns for hundreds of congregations.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-pastor-plan-to-add-more-security-after-texas-church-massacre

Pastor John Elmore owns the 3D Complex in Lithonia. The old movie theater now houses 17 churches. He said when people walk through the doors, they're not thinking about security.
Pastor Elmore said they already have security, but now it's a matter of adding more and enhancing what they have.
"Plan to hire more security and also to develop more trained security within the ministry itself," said Pastor Elmore.
Pastor Elmore said they are planning to offer a free active shooter class to their pastors and others in the community who want to come.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...church_be_open_and_welcome_to_all_commen.html

By The Washington Post

Lori Johnston is an Athens, Georgia-based writer.
Every Sunday morning, my husband and I stand at the front doors to our church in a renovated strip mall in Athens, Georgia. We're the "greeters," shaking hands or hugging everybody to welcome them.
Calvary Bible Church celebrated our five-year anniversary Sunday, just before hearing about the tragedy in Texas that killed at least 26 people at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs.
We were formed to be a multiracial church serving the community of the University of Georgia and Athens. With the recent church shootings, including the 2015 attack in Charleston, South Carolina, tied to racial tension, I believe we could be a target.
I believe that starts with us, the greeters.
We have an informal security plan. A police officer who regularly attends watches for signs of a shooter. He's often at the door with us, chatting but checking out those entering. At least two other men in our church, both fathers, carry guns.
We've tried to recruit more greeters in case we are out of town on a Sunday. After asking for weeks, only three people offered. We thought more would want to do it. Maybe it's because they need to be at church about 15 minutes early. But maybe others are just plain scared, too.
I tell my pastor that we are really the "first line of defense."
I don't know whether I want the role anymore.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.11alive.com/article/news...olence-while-remembering-its-own/85-490485122

Now, the church has its own trained law enforcement. Despite the Georgia carry law, they do not want private residents carrying guns in their church. There is even a sign on the door of the sanctuary warning against it. Pastor Raphael G. Warnock believes the true change from this kind of violence will only come from our political leaders.
I've asked the reporter what that first sentence means.

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
Catholic bishops and most priests are about as in touch with the realities of the world's dark side as politicians are with the realities of the lives of their constituents.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
http://www.11alive.com/article/news...olence-while-remembering-its-own/85-490485122

Pastor Raphael G. Warnock believes the true change from this kind of violence will only come from our political leaders.
I've asked the reporter what that first sentence means.
The first sentence and last sentence illustrate a rather naive understanding of reality. If words on paper from political leaders worked, why do they need their own "law enforcement"? Or yet another law? Everything is already illegal. The words are already on paper, yet we still need enforcement. Because? Wait for it...

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,456 Posts
He thinks that in order to protect his flock he has to "give up what he thinks is right" ???
More than likely he is a pacifist, so now he has to re-think that belief.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,998 Posts
A church that allows “some” non-LEO citizens who are GWL licensees to carry will have taken the criminal law aspect of 16-11-127 off the table, and no GWL holder could be prosecuted.
I don’t think the church can effectively give some people permission while denying it to other licensees.

Not when it comes to that gun control law.

But, the church could have an internal administrative policy that calls for sanctions and even removal from the building of any person who carries a weapon at church other than those specific individuals the church has granted permission to. This could lead to the church invoking the criminal trespass law if Bubba refuses to go lock his HiPoint in his car as requested by church staff, while another member of the congregation who is ex-LEO and a former IPSC champion shooter is allowed to carry his Series 70 Colt 1911 every Sunday.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.henryherald.com/news/she...cle_636d756d-04c9-5dd2-8188-abda6c2cf2eb.html

McDONOUGH - A full house of Henry County's pastors and faith leaders turned out for Sheriff Keith McBrayer's presentation on church security and safety Monday night.

"Every time we have an event like Texas, we have a lot of people that get interested in church security," said the Rev. Reed Benson, a panelist and veteran law enforcement officer. "The problem is, a month or two from now, it calms down. And then it (interest in security) goes down more, until something happens, and then all of a sudden we're back again, because people want to do something about it."
District Attorney Darius Pattillo explained that according to Georgia's Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014, a church has the ability to opt in and allow licensed gun owners to carry their firearms on church property. Pattillo said he interprets the law as "all or nothing," meaning that if a church wants to arm its security team, it must also allow licensed congregants to carry guns.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
District Attorney Darius Pattillo's understanding of the law is correct.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The mass shooting earlier this month at a Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, is the latest in a series of 175 deadly force incidents in churches across the country this year. Reed shared that this year alone, 95 people have been killed as a result of a deadly force incident in a church, up from 65 people in 2016.
Soft targets are getting all the attention of the mentally ill. How is this confusing?

A police officer in the back of the church saw a masked man behaving erratically and recognized a potential risk, so he approached the man calmly and walked with him outside. McBrayer assisted.
Like the mask didn't give it away?

He said churches also have to consider liability when deciding whether the higher costs associated with security teams of professional law enforcement officers are worth it.

"If somebody on your security team takes action, and God forbid it's wrong, then you may not be facing criminal prosecution, but you may have civil liability," Pattillo said.
?

"During an active shooter event, survival mindset can help you," Johnson said, encouraging attendees not to be paralyzed by fear. "You can do what you have to to survive and win, and go home to your family, and maybe save some other people in the process. That's something we preach to our law enforcement officers, and it's something we want to encourage you to think about, too, is that survivor mindset, or warrior mindset."
Much easier when you have immunity.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
3281 - 3299 of 3299 Posts